PDA

View Full Version : Arrrggghhh!!!!! Home Game Cancellations HELP!

grandgnu
01-21-2005, 09:22 AM
Geesh. I run a home game which seats up to 16 players on two tables. Two events are held each month, one Friday night and one Saturday afternoon.

To get into an event, you must RSVP for a seat. Lately I've been filling up all 16 seats, and having anywhere from 4-6 players on the wait list. But then, by the time the event rolls around, I find my wait list is emptied and I have 13-14 players only.

How can I keep going from 20-22 players interested down to 13-14? It's friggin ridiculous!

I'm keeping track of all the players who cancel, and when they cancel (i.e. 2 days before the event, the day of the event, 2 hours before the event, 30 minutes before, etc)

And I've warned my email list that I'm keeping track, and that if I see a pattern develop I will not allow that player to RSVP for an open seat, but instead they'll get stuck on the wait list, even if there's open seating.

I'm really not sure how to combat this problem, but it's certainly putting me on tilt. It's bad enough I have to plan an event for so many players, but then right before the event, everyone and their brother cancels out on me and I get frustrated. I can't be a winning player if people keep bailing out on me like this, it's really irritating.

Anyone have any advice on how they handle these home game wreckers?

jalsing
01-21-2005, 09:31 AM
Well, you can make anyone who habitually cancels, or new players pay in advance to reserve the seat...if they don't show or cancel, the money stays in the prize pool. Kind of harsh, but not much else you can do.

StevieG
01-21-2005, 09:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]

I'm really not sure how to combat this problem, but it's certainly putting me on tilt. It's bad enough I have to plan an event for so many players, but then right before the event, everyone and their brother cancels out on me and I get frustrated. I can't be a winning player if people keep bailing out on me like this, it's really irritating.

[/ QUOTE ]

13-14 players each time is good. You're running a nice series of events.

Just realize that some people are going to flake and that from your pool of 20, you get about 2/3 each time.

Relax and enjoy your hard work. Trying to change other people's inconsiderate behavior is extremely -EV.

grandgnu
01-21-2005, 10:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
13-14 players each time is good. You're running a nice series of events.

Just realize that some people are going to flake and that from your pool of 20, you get about 2/3 each time.

Relax and enjoy your hard work. Trying to change other people's inconsiderate behavior is extremely -EV.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, it doesn't help that Verizon managed to delete my home poker website TWICE within the past week (I paid $10 to upgrade my 1.5MB DSL to 3.0MB) Needless to say, I'm switching to Comcast, after spending hours on hold, and being transferred from tech support to billing, back and forth with Verizon.

I understand stuff can come up last minute, but when I've got 1/3 of my potential players having stuff come up last minute, it's friggin irritating as all holy hell!

Plus, a lot of them use the "oh, I have to work" line. Well, you RSVP'd a month ago, you couldn't have arranged to have this day off? Grrrrr! /images/graemlins/mad.gif

Ghazban
01-21-2005, 10:41 AM
If this is a tournament, you can try making people pay the entry fee (or part of it) up front. If they pay the whole thing, just blind them off until they show up. If they only pay part, you'll end up running a smaller tournament but with a greater prize pool for those who did show up. People will be more likely to make an effort to come if they've already put up some money.

If its a cash game, I honestly don't see what the problem is as people ought to be comfortable playing 6- or 7-handed if there aren't enough people to play a full ring.

Oh, and if you're anywhere near Boston (I see you're in MA), let me know if you've got seats at the last minute-- I have no life and can show up to play poker any time /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Slow Play Ray
01-21-2005, 10:57 AM
I'd bail you out one spot tonight, but I've got plans already...sorry bud.

grandgnu
01-21-2005, 11:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If this is a tournament, you can try making people pay the entry fee (or part of it) up front. If they pay the whole thing, just blind them off until they show up. If they only pay part, you'll end up running a smaller tournament but with a greater prize pool for those who did show up. People will be more likely to make an effort to come if they've already put up some money.

If its a cash game, I honestly don't see what the problem is as people ought to be comfortable playing 6- or 7-handed if there aren't enough people to play a full ring.

Oh, and if you're anywhere near Boston (I see you're in MA), let me know if you've got seats at the last minute-- I have no life and can show up to play poker any time /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

It is a tournament. I run events with either a $20 +$10 optional add-on or a $50 or $100 total buy-in. As far as people paying me upfront, that might be difficult. Some of them come from 45+ minutes away, so that would be difficult for people to do. Plus, why penalize the players who do show up (i.e. 2/3 of them) because of what one part of the group is doing?

I wish my poker website was still up, it had pictures of the events, rules, tournament structure, etc. It was just friggin awesome. Then I upgrade my service with Verizon and they wipe out my account in the process. Then I rebuild it, and they wipe it out again, and blame it on a "known issue" that they're working on. Thank god I'm switching to Comcast.

Anyway, I'm in Gardner, MA. Which is about 40 minutes west of Worcester, and an hour west of Boston.

email is anthonymartino@verizon.net (for now) if you're ever in the area.

grandgnu
01-21-2005, 11:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'd bail you out one spot tonight, but I've got plans already...sorry bud.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's ok man, it'll still be a good time. Supposed to have my new poker table in action tonight, can't wait!

bigbrett
01-21-2005, 11:27 AM
I feel like cancellations are kind of inevitable. I have a different twist on the same thread. My weekly game is pretty tough and there are a couple of standout players. We usually play with somewhere between 6-10 players and usually play tournament style. There are a couple of guys that were playing every week, but now they won't play because they haven't won in 8 months or something like that. They are actually about as good as everyone else.

Does anyone have any advice for keeping people interested in playing? It's not like we all don't get along. They still socialize with us. We pay the top two or three depending on the size of the game.

grandgnu
01-21-2005, 11:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I feel like cancellations are kind of inevitable. I have a different twist on the same thread. My weekly game is pretty tough and there are a couple of standout players. We usually play with somewhere between 6-10 players and usually play tournament style. There are a couple of guys that were playing every week, but now they won't play because they haven't won in 8 months or something like that. They are actually about as good as everyone else.

Does anyone have any advice for keeping people interested in playing? It's not like we all don't get along. They still socialize with us. We pay the top two or three depending on the size of the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, what I've done is start a Tournament Leader Board. For every event you play, you get 2 points. Then, depending on where you finish, you earn more points.

Let's say you've got a player who consistantly finishes in the top half of the field, maybe even top 25-30%, but misses the money or barely makes any money. They're still playing well, and playing a lot. So they'll earn a good amount of points, and at the end of the year, the top five point leaders play for some money in a special championship event.

I've got a trophy (donated by a player) to give to the winner of the event. I take out 5% of every events prize pool and sock it aside in a separate interest-bearing bank accout. At the end of the year, they'll play for this money (estimated between $500-$1,000 by years end)

This gives everyone something to compete for, and also makes the "losing" players who still play fairly well, feel like they've got a shot at something. It encourages people to attend frequently, while not hurting each events prize pool by any significant margin.

Another possible alternative: Maybe you've got a player who doesn't make the money, but he takes out a few other players during the event. Take a portion of the prize pool, and designate it as "bounty" money. Each player you personally eliminate, you get "x" amount of dollars.

pmyers23
01-21-2005, 12:47 PM
Do like the airlines and hotels do and overbook a few seats.

grandgnu
01-21-2005, 01:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Do like the airlines and hotels do and overbook a few seats.

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably still wouldn't do me much good. I had 16 seats filled AND 6 people on the waiting list, and now I'm down to 13 seats filled, no waiting list. Perhaps the waiting list players, had they been given overbooked seats, might have been able to attend, I dunno.

But then I don't want to have people showing up and I don't have enough space to accomodate all of them, ya know?

PinataUT
01-21-2005, 01:19 PM
I run other types of events and there's this balance between inclusion, service, and not having enough people to fill out the game. It can be tough.

You might consider issuing people points for honoring their RSVP. Invite X+Y where X is what you can fit and Y a 'wiggle' factor. If more people show than seats, you seat them in order of their RSVP points... That way people who have honored their RSVP have a better shot at getting a seat than those who are flakes contributing to the attendance problems in the first place.

Your original idea of having them fill in the back of the RSVP list makes sense to me as well.

As a host, as you know, you have to stay loose and expect distractions to your game. But at some point, you may want to consider creating an incentive structure that makes your life easier.

This may be HORRIBLE ideas on my part!

Good luck.

warewulf
01-21-2005, 01:25 PM
I assume you've already posted at homepokergames.com. Another is pokerpal.org. Also might want to post on Craig's list.

I play in a weekly game, sounds similar to yours. Instead of a year, it's broken up in to 10 weeks. There's a 10% rake every week. Then the top players are in the finals. The top person gets $100 in chips and every player below gets less down to $30. You have to play 5 out of the 10 weeks to qualify. I like this setup.

Also, there are always going to be flakes. Some people realize that they suck and will only go if there's nothing better to do. Just be happy that you have at least one full table! I'm starting a new game Sunday and I only have 5 so far.

pukenpete
01-21-2005, 02:30 PM
I'd tell you to relax and try to have fun no matter how many people show up, but playing host isn't easy. Winning player? As host, you should be able to suffer the worst beats with a smile. Even if you're not hosting, your friends won't like to feel like you're taking advantage of their lesser poker skills. It's not a good way to keep the game going.

I like the other guy's suggestion of taking money early. Paypal should be a snap. You can say seats are only reserved for those who pay early and everyone else is on a first-come, first-served system. Or if inviting 20-22 players means only 13-14 will show up, the easy solution is to expand the invite list to 24-25. Penalizing your friends for not showing up will simply cause you to lose more players. Working late happens. Wives/gfs/families tend to make last minute plans. You have to give them reasons to show up no matter what. An angry host isn't one of them.

grandgnu
01-21-2005, 02:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'd tell you to relax and try to have fun no matter how many people show up, but playing host isn't easy. Winning player? As host, you should be able to suffer the worst beats with a smile. Even if you're not hosting, your friends won't like to feel like you're taking advantage of their lesser poker skills. It's not a good way to keep the game going.

I like the other guy's suggestion of taking money early. Paypal should be a snap. You can say seats are only reserved for those who pay early and everyone else is on a first-come, first-served system. Or if inviting 20-22 players means only 13-14 will show up, the easy solution is to expand the invite list to 24-25. Penalizing your friends for not showing up will simply cause you to lose more players. Working late happens. Wives/gfs/families tend to make last minute plans. You have to give them reasons to show up no matter what. An angry host isn't one of them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, it's just irritating because it's been happening so frequently lately. When I've got a wait list of 6 players, and a full house of 16, and then a few days before the event I get cancellations, or the day before or of the event and wind up with only 13 or 14 players, yeah, I get upset. Half or more of the wait list bailed too, although what should I expect with such last minute notice?

It's just a lot of work for me to keep track of everyone, and to then hunt people down and try to fill all the seats last-minute. I have a friggin life outside of my poker events, and I don't appreciate people making my life more difficult.

Yes, things do come up, and I do understand that. But if you've RSVP'd to me 2-3 weeks in advance, I expect you to show up. None of this "oh, well now I have to work" or "oh, so and so wants to go see Cirque De Sole'" or whatever. Why tie up one of my seats and then a day before the event drop out and ruin it for players who could have taken the seat?

I guess it wouldn't irk me so much, if it was only one or two people. But recently it's been a lot more than that. I guess I'll just keep track of the problem people and eventually weed them out of my invite list if it continues. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Spooky
01-21-2005, 02:58 PM
I think you should make it a policy to require a small non-refundable deposit (half the buyin - a no show will be added to the pot) from anyone who was a no-show to the last event BEFORE they are able to get on the list again. This way they will have incentive to be dependable, and you are not punishing your regulars.

This should be understandable to everyone, easy to implement, and effective.

2planka
01-21-2005, 03:49 PM
13-14 is a decent number. Can't worry about the no-shows. Your game is popular and attendance is good. Doesn't have to be a sell out every time. It is the dead of winter, afterall.

2planka
01-21-2005, 03:52 PM
Do you need help picking up the table? I have El Monster Truck tonight.

grandgnu
01-21-2005, 05:09 PM
Nope, Dan I. is actually bringing two tables down (mine and his) in his truck, so no problemo!

grandgnu
01-21-2005, 05:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think you should make it a policy to require a small non-refundable deposit (half the buyin - a no show will be added to the pot) from anyone who was a no-show to the last event BEFORE they are able to get on the list again. This way they will have incentive to be dependable, and you are not punishing your regulars.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I could understand a "no show" but these people at least have the courtesy to contact me in advance to cancel. I understand stuff comes up, just frustrating that it happens with such a large # of the attendants.

grandgnu
01-21-2005, 05:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
13-14 is a decent number. Can't worry about the no-shows. Your game is popular and attendance is good. Doesn't have to be a sell out every time. It is the dead of winter, afterall.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, when you've got all your seats filled AND 4-6 people on the wait list, and then a couple of days before the event it all falls apart and you're down to 13-14 players, it's frustrating, that's all. :P

Spooky
01-21-2005, 05:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I could understand a "no show" but these people at least have the courtesy to contact me in advance to cancel. I understand stuff comes up, just frustrating that it happens with such a large # of the attendants.

[/ QUOTE ]
The deposit shouldn't hurt peoples feelings, its just ensuring that they are making a commitment to attend. The deposit goes toward their buy-in when they show up, and into the pot if they don't. If I were to lighten up on the restriction, it would be along the lines of "Deposits can only be refunded X days before the day of the tourney". This gives you the time you need to get replacements. It wont even effect most of your players, just the ones that cancel that close to the tourney, and even then its only a minor hassle and only applicable to the next tourney. Once it is a policy you will find that people will be more sure to attend, and the administrative side of your hosting will decrease. There will probably be one or two cronic players, but they can usually be weeded out fairly easily.

[edit] Actually, upon further reflection, it will effect your other players... it will make them more inclined to take the their commitment to be there more seriously too, just so they wont have to deal with that minor hassle for the next tourney.

Hedge Henderson
01-21-2005, 11:27 PM
I host mainly ring games but I understand how you feel, grandgnu. Very few players have any idea how much work goes into setting up a home game that runs smoothly. I have no idea how to cure the problem short of being a real [censored]. I've had tourneys with eight confirmed players turn into 14 players two hours before game time, and ones with 14 confirmed players end up as single table tourneys.

It can be even worse with ring games, but at least the preparation involved on my part is a little less. There have been several occasions where a semi-regular shows up at 1 AM with three buddies (after hanging out at the bar, of course), and they all want a seat. This year, I've taken out the second table to prevent such behavior being rewarded. I only get it out for tourneys now.

pokerrookie
01-22-2005, 01:44 AM
I think having a wait list for a socially fun home game is kind of arrogant. Id be offended if I wanted to come abd you put me on a wait list. Just invite all 24. Everyone wont show, but if they do, find a third table and deal with it. Less stress, more money in the pot, no tension amongst friends. Relax and have fun (and win all their money).

grandgnu
01-22-2005, 09:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think having a wait list for a socially fun home game is kind of arrogant. Id be offended if I wanted to come abd you put me on a wait list. Just invite all 24. Everyone wont show, but if they do, find a third table and deal with it. Less stress, more money in the pot, no tension amongst friends. Relax and have fun (and win all their money).

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh, I think you're making assumptions without complete information (perhaps we should play poker together?)

I have a small apartment man, I can't fit three tables of action unless I toss out our computers, our bed and dressers, etc.

Plus, being tourney director AND playing in the event is fairly taxing. It's enough to manage two tables, I'd probably be pulled away from the action even more if I had three tables, it would be too much work for me to play and run three tables.

So you calling it "arrogant" is off, way off. I have a contact list of 100+ players, and my events are very popular and fill up quickly. But I can't accomodate everyone.

It's the same at Foxwoods Casino. I went to play a Thursday morning tourney at 10am, and they limit it to 250 players and couldn't accomodate everyone who wanted to play.

pokerrookie
01-22-2005, 02:12 PM
My bad, didnt realize you were running a casino. Thought it was a friendly game.

grandgnu
01-22-2005, 02:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My bad, didnt realize you were running a casino. Thought it was a friendly game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh heh, not really a "casino", but it's certainly more than just a "friendly" game.

The only "friendly" games I know, would be free games. Anytime there's money involved, "friendly" shouldn't be used to describe it.

I try to use casino-style rules to prevent cheating and keep the integrity of the games on the up and up. Plus, I get a fair amount of novice players. At least if they ever go to the casino, they won't look like a total tool. Most home games out there don't utilize effective rules, and then when people go to the casino they don't understand about splashing the pot, or string bets, etc.

But yea, I look at these games as 65% profit, 35% entertainment. That's for me personally, some people come to improve their game, some to just have fun, some to win money. I get the full gamut of player types.

smoore
01-22-2005, 03:52 PM
I see all these posts about wait lists and reservations ans RSVP and such. How odd.

"Poker tournament, my place, 12 noon on saturday. Ring game starts at 10am and will continue after the tournament. Be there at 11:45 if you want a seat. Bye."

I've never been one to try to "fill" an event... if we have 12 great, if we have 16 that's even better. One thing I did notice is that if there's a ring game before the tournament I have better attendance.

grandgnu
01-22-2005, 04:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I see all these posts about wait lists and reservations ans RSVP and such. How odd.

"Poker tournament, my place, 12 noon on saturday. Ring game starts at 10am and will continue after the tournament. Be there at 11:45 if you want a seat. Bye."

I've never been one to try to "fill" an event... if we have 12 great, if we have 16 that's even better. One thing I did notice is that if there's a ring game before the tournament I have better attendance.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I only run tournaments at this time, might run cash games in the future. The thing is, I've got a contact list of 100+ players, some who live 40+ minutes away. So I don't want anyone driving that far (especially in bad weather, it's New England) and then not being able to get a seat.

Plus, I supply complimentary refreshments to attendants, so I need to know how much to buy. And I need to know how many tables to setup, how many chairs, etc.

All seating is random at my events, to prevent player collusion attempts or any accusations of cheating (i.e. those two players always sit in seats so they can raise and re-raise players in between them)

So in order for me to do random seating, I NEED to know how many players are attending, and have face-down cards for them to pick their seats.

Lottery Larry
01-23-2005, 09:05 AM
"Plus, I supply complimentary refreshments to attendants, so I need to know how much to buy. And I need to know how many tables to setup, how many chairs, etc."

So, you rake the games and are running an underground club?

"So in order for me to do random seating, I NEED to know how many players are attending, and have face-down cards for them to pick their seats. "

No you don't. Since you have 8-seat tables, just alternate tables as you sell seats. If you want to draw the seats randomly, either have the table draw cards from a deck, or pre-bag the buy-ins with seat and table # inside. Draw the bags randomly (separate box for each table) as you sell them.
If you have to consolidate down to one table, or balance the tables by moving someone, it will only take a minute or two.

Lottery Larry
01-23-2005, 09:05 AM
you really don't know what you're talking about, do you?

Lottery Larry
01-23-2005, 09:15 AM
"To get into an event, you must RSVP for a seat. Lately I've been filling up all 16 seats, and having anywhere from 4-6 players on the wait list. But then, by the time the event rolls around, I find my wait list is emptied and I have 13-14 players only.

How can I keep going from 20-22 players interested down to 13-14? It's friggin ridiculous!"

You can't, really. Are you turning a lot of RSVPs away, from your 100+ list? You could establish a policy that if you RSVP and cancel (twice in a row, or X times over Y number of games), that the players are wait-list only until they earn their way back in by actually making it.

"I'm keeping track of all the players who cancel, and when they cancel (i.e. 2 days before the event, the day of the event, 2 hours before the event, 30 minutes before, etc)"

Things happen. 2 hours or less is worse than half a day or more, so others who want to play can get a chance to get called and make plans.

How do you have 100+ players and only 16 seats? Don't most of them get denied a chance to play on a regular basis?

"And I've warned my email list that I'm keeping track, and that if I see a pattern develop I will not allow that player to RSVP for an open seat, but instead they'll get stuck on the wait list, even if there's open seating."

If it's really bad, drop them from the list entirely for a while?

"I'm really not sure how to combat this problem, but it's certainly putting me on tilt. It's bad enough I have to plan an event for so many players, but then right before the event, everyone and their brother cancels out on me and I get frustrated."

First, learn to deal. It is frustrating not to get RSVPs or to have people not show up, but things happen. I'd be happy if everyone let me know what was going on, but it never happens.
I'd be more worried about my players getting frustrated that they are getting closed out for no reason.

I personally would institute a "all cancellations must be by the day before" policy. Violators are dropped onto wait-list only until X amount of time passes. Regular players who have earned exemptions can get one last-minute cancellation (things happen in life, can't legislate it away)- maybe an earned point system for attendance?

grandgnu
01-23-2005, 09:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
So, you rake the games and are running an underground club?

No you don't. Since you have 8-seat tables, just alternate tables as you sell seats. If you want to draw the seats randomly, either have the table draw cards from a deck, or pre-bag the buy-ins with seat and table # inside. Draw the bags randomly (separate box for each table) as you sell them.
If you have to consolidate down to one table, or balance the tables by moving someone, it will only take a minute or two.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh, where did you get the idea I rake my games? This is NOT true, I'm not looking to have my events busted. There is zero rake, no house fee.

I supply "complimentary" refreshments, on my dime, at no charge to the guests. I paid for the poker chips, KEM and Copag cards, dealer buttons, etc. and do not charge a fee against that.

I do have a 5% tournament leader board fee that is deducted out of every events prize pool. That money is placed in a separate, interest-bearing bank account. At the end of the year, the top five players on the leader board will compete for the money in that account, and a trophy that was donated by a player.

As far as seating goes, it's all random through a card draw, and I choose last. I don't want players to have any possibility of blaming their losses on players always sitting in certain spots, or together, etc.

grandgnu
01-23-2005, 09:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You can't, really. Are you turning a lot of RSVPs away, from your 100+ list? You could establish a policy that if you RSVP and cancel (twice in a row, or X times over Y number of games), that the players are wait-list only until they earn their way back in by actually making it.

Things happen. 2 hours or less is worse than half a day or more, so others who want to play can get a chance to get called and make plans.

How do you have 100+ players and only 16 seats? Don't most of them get denied a chance to play on a regular basis?

If it's really bad, drop them from the list entirely for a while?

First, learn to deal. It is frustrating not to get RSVPs or to have people not show up, but things happen. I'd be happy if everyone let me know what was going on, but it never happens.
I'd be more worried about my players getting frustrated that they are getting closed out for no reason.

I personally would institute a "all cancellations must be by the day before" policy. Violators are dropped onto wait-list only until X amount of time passes. Regular players who have earned exemptions can get one last-minute cancellation (things happen in life, can't legislate it away)- maybe an earned point system for attendance?

[/ QUOTE ]

My events originally started out with me just inviting friends, friends of friends, co-workers, etc. We'd have 3-6 players usually, and as time went on, many would not show when they said they were coming, or my buddies would always be broke and couldn't play, etc.

After realizing that a lot of the people that were closer to me weren't able to attend as frequently as I'd like to hold events, I turned to www.homepokergames.com (http://www.homepokergames.com) and listed my game there.

I've picked up a nice core of regulars, who are reliable. But, I still get some new people coming in that aren't always reliable. I've got like, 5 or 6 "Jim's" on the list and 3 "Dan's", etc. (not saying those are the unreliable ones, just difficult to keep track of all of em!)

Some of the players on my contact list might only make a couple of events per year, some attend almost half, and some try to attend every event.

I don't mind having a large list of potential players. Since it's all done via RSVP, it encourages people to contact me sooner, rather than later, to get their seat. In the past, I've had some players who wouldn't contact me, they'd just show up and say "got a seat"?

That was bothersome because I had set everything up based on "x" number of players, and now I have to run around getting more chips together, another seat, another card for the drawing of seats, etc.

So for now, I'm just going to keep track of who's cancelled, how often they've cancelled and how soon. The problem players will find themselves moved to the wait list instead of an RSVP seat, or perhaps even told that they need to just show up for an event that may be full, and they "might" get a seat.

If they show some dedication about getting back into the game, then they'll be permitted to RSVP again. I understand that last-minute stuff can come up, so I don't want to do a 24-hour notice policy. But when I've got 1/3 of my players bailing out anywhere from 1 or 2 days prior, to 1 or 2 hours prior to an event, it's a pain in the butt.

I'm not trying to be arrogant, or sound elitist ("oooh, yes, you have to RSVP for my special club, call me Mister Butterworth the IV") It's just a hell of a lot of work to organize and keep track of these events (when you have a full-time job outside of all of this) and then at the last minute you have to chase down people on the wait list and try to keep the event full.

Going from 22 people who claim they want to attend, down to 12 is just crazy. Anyway, I wound up winning the event the other night, so I guess I should be happy others didn't show, it's been a drought for me for many months now.

Of course, I have to be into work for 3pm today, and I'm in blizzard country right now, with 1.5+ feet of snow here in Central Mass and it's still coming. *sigh*

dandy_don
01-23-2005, 10:03 AM
What we did in the past, is the first 16 to sign up on-line for an announced event are in, all others are on the waiting list. If one of those that signed in does not cancel within 3 days to allow the others a seat, then that player must pay the entry fee in advance to reserve a seat for any future events. It doesn't help for that one event, but the word gets out.

grandgnu
01-23-2005, 10:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
What we did in the past, is the first 16 to sign up on-line for an announced event are in, all others are on the waiting list. If one of those that signed in does not cancel within 3 days to allow the others a seat, then that player must pay the entry fee in advance to reserve a seat for any future events. It doesn't help for that one event, but the word gets out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Geesh, "Dandy Don" and "Lottery Larry". I should've been the "Great Gnu" or "Gary Gnu"

Well, anyway: Having people pay me in advance, I'm pretty sure, would destroy my events. Even if it was used as a penalty. Trying to use that idea would likely turn off a good portion of my players.

I'm trying to find a balance between running a tight ship, but also being flexible and understanding that stuff does come up.

Lottery Larry
01-23-2005, 05:53 PM
" It's just a hell of a lot of work to organize and keep track of these events "

Amen, brother!

"That was bothersome because I had set everything up based on "x" number of players, and now I have to run around getting more chips together, another seat, another card for the drawing of seats, etc."

Some things that help me (our usual tournament is 22-30+ people):
Bag or separate the chips the night before. That way, last minute arrivals are easy- just shoe-horn them in if need be- takes care of worrying about drawing. In fact, punish the late arrivals by making them the UTG player automatically! :P
Set up extra chip stacks. I bag all of my buy-ins the night before (no mistakes counting chips in a rush that way) and have extras, so it's a simple matter of "collect money, toss a bag."

As to your other reply- I didn't realize you were donating everything. We share costs in my group, because running it for free AND supplying all eqpt and food is just way too much vig to overcome.
I'd be much more likely to dictate rules and wait lists if I were paying for everything.

Hang tough!

bugstud
01-23-2005, 06:32 PM
I personally would setup for 20 and worry about extras as they occur. Plan for more and cope with less?