PDA

View Full Version : Ethics

boondockst
01-21-2005, 08:31 AM
I've been hit with overpairs soooo many times these last two days with even QQ and should have folded but often blindly threw my chips into the fray (couldn't forget a guy who pushed me off my TT with 77) and finally i got my AA re-raised into....

I quickly typed in "please tell me you don't have QQ" and pushed....he called...as a king flopped up i thought i was done for and he showed down JJ

If he's dumb enough to let my chat influence him, should i feel bad?

MarkL444
01-21-2005, 08:35 AM
Do you really think he wouldn't have called had you not said anything?

boondockst
01-21-2005, 08:36 AM
shouldn't he fold JJ to a good sized push? i thought i was dumb for pushing my QQ's to reraises....i thought the line was necessary....

MarkL444
01-21-2005, 08:41 AM
Lets just assume that for whatever the situation is the correct strategy would be for him to fold his jacks. Does that mean he will?

boondockst
01-21-2005, 08:44 AM
i highly think he would....he had a very good sized stack at the table....unless he's very lucky....he's a solid player or a patient one....

again....i had Q9s just now and the flop is 999.....i slowplay it and 6 and 8 are turn and river....

this guy's betting crazy....i ask 6 or 8 pause and reraise all in (he had 66)

just wondering if some players frown on this...doubt it just wondering....if anything, i'd be suspicious of such chat....not sucked in by it...

MarkL444
01-21-2005, 08:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
.he had a very good sized stack at the table....unless he's very lucky....he's a solid player or a patient one....

[/ QUOTE ]

Your thinking is very wrong here. Quite often the large stack on the table is the guy playing every hand.

MarkL444
01-21-2005, 08:51 AM
Your chat might be *slightly* increasing their suspicions and thus their willingness to gamble, but the impact is far less than you probably think.

boondockst
01-21-2005, 08:53 AM
you're saying you find the average player calls a huge re-raise-push with JJ????? (~$8 at a $0.10BB table)

MarkL444
01-21-2005, 09:06 AM
well you had never specified amounts (dont bother). bottom line is yes, they will call a huge raise with JJ here.

boondockst
01-21-2005, 09:07 AM
would you?

VarlosZ
01-21-2005, 10:51 AM
If you're in the hand (either live or online), you're within your rights to say (almost) anything to trick your opponent into making the wrong choice.

I'd be extremely suspicious if anyone said something like that to me, though. Anytime I see someone type "Crap, did you hit your flush?", before raising all-in, he's got a full house.

BradleyT
01-21-2005, 10:58 AM
It happens all the time. I lost $60 last night at $25 NL with KK vs. JJ when we got it all in preflop (I raise, he re-raise, I push he calls).

Many players incorrectly consider JJ a big pair.

PoBoy321
01-21-2005, 11:43 AM
That reminds me of the scene at the beginning of Rounders when Mike has the 9s full and the flush completes on the river. He says to Teddy "I don't think you have the spades."

Fishiest line ever.

schwza
01-21-2005, 11:49 AM
i would say that most players would call that raise on a .05-.10 game, and that they would be correct to do so. don't play a lot of .05-.10, but i'd imagine you'll get shown K9 or whatever pretty frequently.

as for your real point, no, it's not unethical, but i question whether it's effective. maybe i'm paranoid, but i'd fear that i'm giving away info.

jimdmcevoy
01-21-2005, 12:52 PM
Absolutly not unethical in my opinion.

kurto
01-21-2005, 12:55 PM
Almost seems a silly question. Its a game. Part of the game is bluffing, deception and psychology. Your mouth (or tying in this case) is just another tool.

BigF
01-21-2005, 04:11 PM
Or like in the 2nd episode of Tilt, when that giant fish asked Don "Should I call?" he said "Don't ask a barber if you need a haircut coz the answer is always yes".

How about Phil Hellmuth at the WPT final table when he made that nut flush he looked at his hole cards one more time before he reraised all-in? At that level, that reverse tell is so obvious it was pathetic.

Or maybe just as Don pointed out in Tilt, "of course you think it's obvious coz ESPN is showing you the fvcking cards." :-)