PDA

View Full Version : How horribly did I play this set of queens?

Brad F.
01-21-2005, 05:17 AM
This will probably bring up the discusion of whether or not I wanted to let the others draw to their unlikely draws or not, but do I get away from the hand? Do you bet more on any street?

Any advice appreciated.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t20 (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Button (t1500)
SB (t1500)
Brad F (t1500)
UTG (t1500)
UTG+1 (t1500)
MP1 (t1500)
MP2 (t1500)
MP3 (t1500)
CO (t1500)

Preflop: Brad F is BB with Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG calls t20, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 calls t20, MP3 calls t20, CO folds, Button calls t20, SB completes, <font color="#CC3333">Brad F raises to t160</font>, UTG folds, MP2 folds, MP3 calls t140, Button calls t140, SB folds.

Flop: (t540) J/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 5/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Brad F bets t180</font>, MP3 calls t180, Button calls t180.

Turn: (t1080) A/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Brad F checks, MP3 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets t220</font>, Brad F calls t220, MP3 calls t220.

River: (t1740) 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Brad F checks, MP3 checks, Button checks.

Final Pot: t1740

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Brad F has Qd Qs (three of a kind, queens).
MP3 has Th Kc (straight, ace high).
Button has As 2d (one pair, aces).
Outcome: MP3 wins t1740. </font>

Brad F.
01-21-2005, 05:18 AM
Oh and BTW, I think button's play on the first hand of a tournament was probably the worst and wierdest I had ever seen. Ever.

And also, I went on to win this tourney, so I recovered, but I was beating myself up for this hand.

Brad

Msogard
01-21-2005, 06:11 AM
I would've bet more on the flop to force the K10 to make a bad call. Here he's getting enough implied odds to call the 4-1 you're giving him. Harrington says that in order to get your opponents to make the wrong calls and also accumulate chips, you should bet just enough to make his call wrong, and not too much more. So with that flop I'd probably bet about 3/4 the pot, maybe the pot since you have two opponents. This makes any calls from straight or flush draws wrong, yet still might give you some action.

betgo
01-21-2005, 07:43 AM
You've been watching Tilt, where the tourist checks his set with a board of 852 rainbow, not realizing his opponent had a double gutshot draw?

If you knew your opponent had KT, then you should make a larger bet. Obviously a gutshot is possible with that board.

I think the small bet is OK. You were hoping someone would come over top of you.

The A2o player is a total fish. Calling the big raise with KTo was also pretty bad, but typical for early in a low buyin tournament.

zaxx19
01-21-2005, 07:45 AM
Holy Crap....

I should sign up for Stars this instant....

Is this typical of MTT play..even low limits early??

A2??? K10?? for 160....WTF is this. I thought stars had the stiffest competition?

Dawdy
01-21-2005, 10:32 AM
preflop is exactly right, the callers reasons are imaterial.
On the flop, as MS says, raising more than your preflop bet is advisable with 2 clubs. I would be more worried about the AcKc than a str8 draw at this point so Id prob bet the pot.
QQ's are a hard hand to play. Not good enough for some plays but too good for none. After a flop where u make trips u still arent safe as lots of player likely hands are helped by a Q on the flop!
These ambigious hands are the most dangerous on the internet, its not suprising so many experienced players play them so timidly.
Well done for the win.

Dawdy

jojobinks
01-21-2005, 10:33 AM
back on what harrington would say...if he was the kt, and assuming he already had called preflop, he would only need a little better than 3:1 to call (b/c of implied odds). that's what you gave him.

so i would have bet 50-66% the pot.

that being said, their preflop play was scary bad.

let us talk no more about tilt. or else i'll have to mention that guy going all in last night with kq with the board 77727 and miami already calling a large pot sized bet on the turn.

etgryphon
01-21-2005, 11:01 AM
Hero lost. The guy with the KT won.

I definately would have bet 3/4-full pot on the flop. You need to make it incorrect to draw. I'm liking the full pot bet because of the straight and flush draws and two opponents. When the A /images/graemlins/club.gif fell, I would slow up but you have 10 outs to beat the str8 or the flush. Which means you can call a bet thats laying 1:3.7 odds or slightly less because of implied odds.

-Gryph

eMarkM
01-21-2005, 11:14 AM
Good preflop raise. Way too small of a flop bet. You're giving perfect odds for straight and flush draws to call. Pot it and offer only 2-1. When the worst card in the deck for you falls, you properly just check and call and certainly have odds to fill if you know you're behind.

Sam T.
01-21-2005, 11:15 AM
I agree that the flop bet needs to be 2/3 of the pot to give club draws bad odds. That said, given the pre-flop calls, this guy isn't going away.

Brad F.
01-21-2005, 12:24 PM
Thanks tons guys. Really good advice from all. I struggle with flop bets sometimes, but I did figure I had odds with the call on the turn.

I appreciated all the input.

Brad