PDA

View Full Version : Seven card stud, easier to beat than hold'em?

04-14-2002, 12:26 PM
Have been playing Texas Hold'em for a long time, the games look not unbeatable, but winnings looks to evens out in the long run.

Today I just gave Seven Card Stud a try.

To me it looks a lot softer than the hold'em games(lower limits).

Any opinions on the the two games online?

04-14-2002, 06:22 PM
Yes, stud games are easier to beat (on-line)

Marco

04-15-2002, 12:17 PM
Overall(not just online,) I believe 7 stud to have a higher expectation for the good player than hold-em. Between the extra betting round and poorer play of your opponents I think there's a lot to be made of it. However there are a couple of problems; it's more difficult to be a good player in stud than in hold-em, and the bad players are more often incidently correct in their play(because calling is more often correct in stud than in HE). That being said, I find the online(paradise and planet, never played stud on party but I imagine it's pretty much the same) stud games to be mostly tight/bad players. If you feel comfortable in those games(a far cry from low limit card-room stud) then I think you'll do well there.

04-16-2002, 07:31 AM
I think poor players have more the worst of it playing hold'em. Given that better hands tend to hold up more often, their inability to give up a hand is more costly.

Tom D

04-16-2002, 01:55 PM
Or at least that's what a lot of holdem players think. I used to dream of finding such players in the live card rooms here in Vegas, but to little avail, then I found there's an abundance of them online, at least at the low limits.

Actually, I've been avoiding stud online because they have much higher antes than I'm used to. The 1-2 games I've seen online have a .25 ante. So, it's probably correct to play much looser than normal, but I wouldn't have the foggiest idea how to adapt my live cardroom 1-5 no ante strategy.