PDA

View Full Version : overcards+gutnutstraight+backdoor diamond - raise on flop?

afficax
01-21-2005, 12:55 AM
Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)
generally loose passive table.
Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
Hero calls, UTG+2 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (3 SB) 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 raises</font>, MP3 folds, SB calls, BB calls, Hero calls.

should i have reraised on the flop? in retrospect maybe i should have - i had 13 outs (give 4 for J and T, 4 8's, 1 backdoor flush). but what if i'm playing against other draws that steal my outs or 2pair, or the spade flush?
Turn: (11 BB) 8/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+2 folds, SB calls, BB calls.

River: (16 BB) 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

Final Pot: 19 BB

Grease
01-21-2005, 01:01 AM
No, don't reraise. You're being too generous with your overcard outs, and there's a 2-flush on the board. There aren't enough people to add enough value to your hand. You're certainly calling, but reraising would not be +EV IMO.

MercTec
01-21-2005, 01:03 AM
Your position sucks in relation to the raiser. I think calling was the right play. If you're on the button or behind the raiser, a 3 bet is a good idea as a straight up free card play.

Chairman Wood
01-21-2005, 01:15 AM
No, it just isn't for value. Clearly you're calling but you have to realize that your overcard outs aren't that good as they could give others a straight or flush and are vunerable to a redraw. FWIW, I would count you as having about 8 outs after doing some reduction for their dirtyness.

jonahmavesin
01-21-2005, 01:39 AM
Even if the outs were spotless, which they're not (because they coordinate with the board, because you'll often be dominated by a better kicker, and because additional overcards can come to invalidate a made pair like QKorA), you're still counting wrong. Spotless overcard outs are worth 3 outs each, not 4, because you're already holding one of each of them.

Chris Daddy Cool
01-21-2005, 02:00 AM
even contemplating 3-betting the flop is a substantial mistake.

Chairman Wood
01-21-2005, 02:06 AM
I'm counting wrong? I think you meant this reply for the orginal poster. However I still could have made a mistake and overvalued some.

GrunchCan
01-21-2005, 02:59 AM
Welcome to the forum.

You've overvalued your outs, by quite a few.

I put your outs at: Overcards=1.5 (not 4), Inside Straight=3 (not 4), BDF=1. There's also a BD Nut Straight (running K&amp;Q) that's worth another 1.5. The total is 7, not 13.

I like your open-bet, but after it gets raised behind you, it's time to call.