PDA

View Full Version : quick little thing hand 2 of 2

Aces McGee
01-21-2005, 12:04 AM
party 3/6, 9-handed

i've been at the table for 3 or 4 orbits. no specific postflop reads (multitabling, watching basketball). this happens during basketball season; I rarely have postflop reads when hoops is on TV.

UTG (40/2) limps. UTG+1 limps. CO-1 limps. I raise in the CO with Q /images/graemlins/heart.gif J /images/graemlins/heart.gif. UTG calls. UTG+1 calls. CO-1 strangely folds. He must know what's coming on the flop...

Q /images/graemlins/spade.gif J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 5 /images/graemlins/heart.gif.

checked to me, I bet, both call.

turn is 2 /images/graemlins/club.gif.

checked to me, I bet, UTG raises, UTG+1 folds.

How often are we three-betting this seemingly out-of-nowhere raise? How often are we calling down?

-McGee

Spook
01-21-2005, 12:10 AM
Is it possible that he limped UTG with Qd2d? quite possible, if you have a read on him you could probably tell if it is Q2s or 22.
I think I would call and then probably call the river but would consider raising the river.

Gatts
01-21-2005, 12:45 AM
A set is much more likely that a ragged 2 pair on this board. I'd be much more inclined to 3-bet if the turn was, say, an 8.

TripleH68
01-21-2005, 12:45 AM
Call the turn raise and take a look at the river.

Rainbow board. You have position. He risked getting it checked through on the turn after not raising to protect his hand on the flop. Without a better read 55 seems entirely possible, but so does AQ, KQ, KT, etc.

Gatts
01-21-2005, 12:48 AM
You're thinking way too crazy here. UTG might just be fuc[/b]kin' around, but he's probably got you beat or tied a majority of the time. I doubt he's trying to protect his hand. I doubt he even knows what it means.

TripleH68
01-21-2005, 12:50 AM
Tied? So what action are you recommending here?

Brash620
01-21-2005, 02:18 AM
Three bet it. I wouldn't expect UTG to slow play trip fives, while at the same time I rule out Q's and J's because he would have raise preflop with J,J or Q,Q. Most likely you are up against a lesser two pair.

rmarotti
01-21-2005, 10:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'd be much more inclined to 3-bet if the turn was, say, an 8.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think I understand why.

Aces McGee
01-21-2005, 11:10 AM
I think he was saying that hands like Q8 an J8 are more playable than hands like Q2 or J2.

-McGee

rmarotti
01-21-2005, 11:17 AM
I have seen the light! thanks.

Aces McGee
01-21-2005, 12:51 PM
results later. thanks.

-McGee

Aces McGee
01-21-2005, 06:11 PM
I 3-bet UTG's turn checkraise. He called. River was 3 /images/graemlins/spade.gif, for a final board of:

Q /images/graemlins/spade.gif J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 5 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 2 /images/graemlins/club.gif 3 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

He checks, I bet, he calls, and he flips 2 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif for the turned set.

I got a bad feeling when he checkraised the turn, but I 3 bet because I'm trying to eliminate weak play from my game and get a little more aggressive. I'm wondering, though, if I need to pick my spots better.

The hand he ended up having is pretty unlikely, but 55 for the slowplayed set seems SO obvious. I mean, I'm clearly not folding, but I'm beginning to wonder if these kinds of raises should be respected until the player proves he can't be trusted.

-McGee

sweetjazz
01-21-2005, 06:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think he was saying that hands like Q8 an J8 are more playable than hands like Q2 or J2.

[/ QUOTE ]

I prefer "less unplayable" but it amounts to the same thing, right? /images/graemlins/smile.gif

FWIW, I think your turn decision is close. On most boards, I'd like 3-betting. But with it four-suited and two tiny cards on board, I think this is the right time to just call down (unless of course you fill up on the river).

Hoi Polloi
01-21-2005, 11:00 PM
I think a raise like this is a red flag for a turned set. You have to evaluate based on the turn card and the player and all that but it should definitely get your ears up.

I got hit by three of these in one session last week. It sucked.