PDA

View Full Version : Help me find yet another new job/career/way to kill 40 hours a week

Homer
01-20-2005, 11:29 PM
I'm getting kind of desperate, which is ridiculous since I'm only 25. However, every job I've had so far has sucked and it's really starting to take a toll on me. A little background -- I started out in engineering (*3.1 GPA from a top-30 engineering school), was given no responsibility despite begging for real work on a daily basis, and surfed 2+2 all day. I know that sounds like a dream job to some people, but it's not for me. I switched careers and started teaching HS math in the fall (taking a 1/3 pay cut in the process) and hate that as well. I teach the lowest level classes in a bad school district. My students (10th and 11th grade) don't know that 1.5*10 = 15, 1/2 = 0.5, etc.

It's highly possible that one of these professions is meant for me and that I've just had bad luck so far. That being said, I'm looking for some new ideas as the thought of grinding until June while looking for a new district to teach in makes me want to kill myself. A little about what I'm looking for...

- I want to work independently most of the time

- I want to be able to work from home on occasion

- I want to do something that involves manipulating/analyzing numbers/data

- I want to be able to flex some creative muscle and don't want to be told exactly what to do all the time (I hate taking orders)

- I don't want to have to go back to school and if I need prior training, would like to be able to do it on my own and get it done within a couple of months

- I want to start out at 37-40K/yr at a minimum, with the potential to move up over time

- I don't need my job to define my life, I just don't want to hate it

I toyed with the idea of taking the first actuarial exam, as that combined with me engineering degree is enough to get me started in that profession. However, I've heard that they must put in >40 hour weeks and are constantly studying outside of work for exams (yes, I'm lazy). Also, I'm not sure that I can handle all of the math. I'm not dumb, but I aint done be no genius either.

-- Homer

* Only stated this in case it might be beneficial in getting me into some other profession without any experience.

p.s. - Cross-posted on QLC

MicroBob
01-20-2005, 11:35 PM
seems like the career 'online poker-pro' was meant for you.

jasonHoldEm
01-20-2005, 11:36 PM
Have you considered starting your own business, possibly using poker to help you get started? With respect, I think that's the only way you're going to hit most/all of your goals (although most traditional self-employed people work >40 hrs a week, especially the first few years).

J

nolanfan34
01-20-2005, 11:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I almost spit beer on my screen. THAT is funny. Well played.

As for the post, honestly I can't think of anything that springs to mind that includes working from home. Seriously. But you're only 25, and I think another engineering firm would be well worth the try. I mean, just because the first job didn't work out, doesn't mean that a different firm won't be challenging and worthwhile. My 2 cents.

on_thg
01-20-2005, 11:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

nh

Homer
01-20-2005, 11:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh, I know, I know. The only problem is that the swings, even at 5/10 SH, get to me. I'm pretty sure I could hack it as I've been two-tabling at a rate of about $55/hr (including rakeback), but I don't know that I could put in 40 hrs/wk and again, the short-term swings get to me, even though I know the numbers inside and out. I was brought up in a very conservative way and I just can't get over it. That being said, I would have no problem doing similar things in a corporate environment in which it wouldn't be my own money being invested/gambled with. I enjoy making some extra cash from poker on the side, and don't really want to change that right now.

daryn
01-20-2005, 11:39 PM
ditto

Homer
01-20-2005, 11:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Have you considered starting your own business, possibly using poker to help you get started? With respect, I think that's the only way you're going to hit most/all of your goals (although most traditional self-employed people work >40 hrs a week, especially the first few years).

J

[/ QUOTE ]

I have thought about starting my own business. There are two problems, though, money and an idea. Money is gradually not becoming as much of an issue (thank you, poker), but I have no ideas. I wouldn't mind putting in more than 40 hours a week if I was working for myself, I just can't handle doing so in a corporate environment. Thanks for the thought...

nolanfan34
01-20-2005, 11:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh, I know, I know. The only problem is that the swings, even at 5/10 SH, get to me. I'm pretty sure I could hack it as I've been two-tabling at a rate of about $55/hr (including rakeback), but I don't know that I could put in 40 hrs/wk and again, the short-term swings get to me, even though I know the numbers inside and out. I was brought up in a very conservative way and I just can't get over it. That being said, I would have no problem doing similar things in a corporate environment in which it wouldn't be my own money being invested/gambled with. I enjoy making some extra cash from poker on the side, and don't really want to change that right now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Based on this, let me offer an opinion that won't be received well by some on this site. I think someone like you would be making a huge mistake playing full-time, because clearly you have career aspirations that would fit with a traditional job, and sound a lot like me in that poker is mostly just a side benefit and a way to make money. I also would HATE putting in anything close to a 40 hr week playing online. I was sick this past Monday, and was bored to tears playing online after 3 hours.

Anyway, you have a job/resume right now. I think a 1-2 year gap in your resume with NO "job" is a huge mistake if you want to get back into the regular job world again. I say this because you don't sound like someone who would ever stick with playing online forever as a job, same goes with Daryn as well.

Just 2 more cents, I hope this thread presents some interesting options for you. If not, I'm sure QLC will be more effective.

Homer
01-20-2005, 11:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Based on this, let me offer an opinion that won't be received well by some on this site. I think someone like you would be making a huge mistake playing full-time, because clearly you have career aspirations that would fit with a traditional job, and sound a lot like me in that poker is mostly just a side benefit and a way to make money. I also would HATE putting in anything close to a 40 hr week playing online. I was sick this past Monday, and was bored to tears playing online after 3 hours.

Anyway, you have a job/resume right now. I think a 1-2 year gap in your resume with NO "job" is a huge mistake if you want to get back into the regular job world again. I say this because you don't sound like someone who would ever stick with playing online forever as a job, same goes with Daryn as well.

Just 2 more cents, I hope this thread presents some interesting options for you. If not, I'm sure QLC will be more effective.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks again for your thoughts. I didn't actually post this at QLC, but maybe I'll do it, just for kicks. I'll be sure to mention how much I can make per hour playing online poker and see what kind of interesting responses that brings. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

-- Homer

elwoodblues
01-20-2005, 11:51 PM
There are a lot of companies that do data collection and then sell the data to third parties. It's kind of techie, related to numbers and data analysis, requires a fair amount of creativity and is a growing field. This type of work is often done with public records information (i.e. collect data from various local governments, standardize the format and sell it off to companies involved in direct marketing, for example.)

PM me if you want more info --- I work closely with a lot of these companies across the country and could probably help find one in your general area.

jasonHoldEm
01-20-2005, 11:54 PM
I'm very much in the same boat as you are...I'm getting tired of the swings with poker and would like to do some more traditional "work" to stablize my income and give me something I can build as I grow older. I'm in computing and have started to teach myself some web development stuff to help me make some money on the side.

I don't think you necessarily need a big huge new idea, look into freelance opportunities with what you know already. I'm not very familiar with the engineering field, but perhaps there would be freelance drafting or design jobs available from companies that want to outsource some of their workload. If you want to do teaching maybe you could do private math tutoring (or even poker lessons, lol). Hell, as good as you are with your crazy excel spreadsheets you could probably teach people how to use that (or look for freelance opportunties putting your excel skills to work).

These are just examples, but my point is you don't necessarily need to do something new and unque...you can start with something simple and straightforward and build it into something more interesting as your knowledge/expereince/client list grows.

GL,
J

Schneids
01-20-2005, 11:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The only problem is that the swings, even at 5/10 SH, get to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

You must have a gazillion BB roll for 5/10, right...? How about going and playing some 40/80 on Paradise or something very high somewhere, just for a few hours. Hopefully at some point during the session you go through a few grand relatively quickly... Then go back to 5/10. The swings shouldn't seem nearly as bad.

Homer
01-21-2005, 12:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You must have a gazillion BB roll for 5/10, right...?

[/ QUOTE ]

A trillion maybe, not a gazillion. But yeah, enough.

[ QUOTE ]
How about going and playing some 40/80 on Paradise or something very high somewhere, just for a few hours. Hopefully at some point during the swing you go through a few grand relatively quickly Then go back to 5/10. The swings shouldn't seem nearly as bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

I did play 15/30 on Party for an hour or two one day. After I went back down to 5/10, it seemed like 2/4. But that feeling quickly wore off. I'm pretty sure that 5/10 SH and 10/20 full are around my emotional bankroll limit. I really hate myself for it, too, because I know I can beat that game adequately and could probably beat 15/30 (or higher) as well.

AngryCola
01-21-2005, 12:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Based on this, let me offer an opinion that won't be received well by some on this site. I think someone like you would be making a huge mistake playing full-time, because clearly you have career aspirations that would fit with a traditional job...

[/ QUOTE ]

Anybody with good common sense should realize this is good advice.
I would be surprised to see any intelligent poster come out against what you are saying.

There's nothing wrong with only making money from poker on the side. It helps to keep the game fun, and still provides you with some (or a lot) of extra cash.
Of course, there are other benefits to playing on the side and holding a 'legitimate' job.

MicroBob
01-21-2005, 12:11 AM
Evidently there is some humour/sarcasm involved here that is beyond my experience.

Can someone please tell me wtf QLC is?

on_thg
01-21-2005, 12:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The most pathetic site on the internet (http://www.quarterlifecrisis.com) and the most entertaining.

If Homer posts his conundrum, he'll definitely get a whole lot of group hugs.

EDIT: See link in next post for OOT thread.

AngryCola
01-21-2005, 12:17 AM
The Most Pathetic Message Board on the Internet (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=1489335&page=0&view=c ollapsed&sb=7&o=14&fpart=1)

It's easy to find.
It has the most views of any thread in OOT (not including archives).

*EDIT*
Damn. Beaten by less than a minute.

shant
01-21-2005, 12:22 AM
Learn to program actionscript for Flash MX. You get to deal with a lot of math, motion, kinetics, and you get to be creative. If you live in a large city, there are many design agencies that pay very well for Flash scripting, and if you get good enough, you could end up making games or working on some cool projects.

If this sounds at all interesting and you want more info, let me know. I do graphic design and Flash animation and programming, and it's one of the chillest industries to work in. At my last job I used to play Party during the day at my desk.

Homer
01-21-2005, 12:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Learn to program actionscript for Flash MX. You get to deal with a lot of math, motion, kinetics, and you get to be creative. If you live in a large city, there are many design agencies that pay very well for Flash scripting, and if you get good enough, you could end up making games or working on some cool projects.

If this sounds at all interesting and you want more info, let me know. I do graphic design and Flash animation and programming, and it's one of the chillest industries to work in. At my last job I used to play Party during the day at my desk.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, by all means PM me some information. My father and brother are both programmers, so I have some good resources (father works with archaic technologies that only a few people know these days, but brother does new stuff like Flash so could probably help me out with that).

-- Thanks, Homer

nolanfan34
01-21-2005, 12:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Based on this, let me offer an opinion that won't be received well by some on this site. I think someone like you would be making a huge mistake playing full-time, because clearly you have career aspirations that would fit with a traditional job...

[/ QUOTE ]

Anybody with good common sense should realize this is good advice.
I would be surprised to see any intelligent poster come out against what you are saying.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with you. I just think it could be easy to misinterpret. There are opposite sides of the spectrum that I personally think full-time poker can be a great thing for. That includes college students or people who haven't gone to/completed college on one side, and those like Davidross who have had a career, but are making a serious go of it now on the other side.

My opinion matters little on its face, but hey, ain't that a great part of the Internet, I get to post it anyway?

Homer
01-21-2005, 12:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The most pathetic site on the internet (http://www.quarterlifecrisis.com) and the most entertaining.

If Homer posts his conundrum, he'll definitely get a whole lot of group hugs.

EDIT: See link in next post for OOT thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

I posted it. I wonder if I will be banned for no reason like others have been.

EliteNinja
01-21-2005, 12:29 AM
Dang, I'm 23 and still in school (Materials Engineering).

Maybe you should go back to school and get some more specific education.

Mathematical Modellers are needed in the materials engineering these days. So if you just take a few modelling courses, you could specialize.

Just a suggestion.

What kind of engineer are you?

EliteNinja
01-21-2005, 12:30 AM
ah, nukular (nuclear) engineer.

Homer
01-21-2005, 12:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Dang, I'm 23 and still in school (Materials Engineering).

Maybe you should go back to school and get some more specific education.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really hated school and don't see myself ever going back. I am open to training, though, preferably of the do-it-yourself variety.

[ QUOTE ]
Mathematical Modellers are needed in the materials engineering these days. So if you just take a few modelling courses, you could specialize.

Just a suggestion.

What kind of engineer are you?

[/ QUOTE ]

Mechanical. Thanks for the suggestion, much appreciated.

-- Homer

Patrick del Poker Grande
01-21-2005, 12:34 AM
What kind of engineering? If you're Mechanical/Aerospace or even something like Civil structural, you might like what my company does. We're a 100% employee-owned company of about 50, so the environment is awesome. I'm not sure it's the place for you if you're not very motivated, though, and the entry-level degree is generally an MS (though not absolutely required in all cases).

Homer
01-21-2005, 12:41 AM
So, I posted this on QLC and actually got a few responses. One guy said:

"Have you considered something computer related?

Doing anything on the side that you could turn into a job? That's what pushed me into making a career change (see thread: okay, screw this)."

So I look at that thread and here's what it says:

I'm sick of the corporate grind. When all you do is work and reading the QLC boards is one of the two things you do for fun (you can figure out the other one) it's time for a change.

Today I decided enough with the moping around, let's put the foot to the floor and kick this crisis to the curb.

So, kiss my azz, 75 hour weeks. I give my notice Friday. I put my house up for sale today, cancelled the newspaper, told SBC they can shove their crappy $49 per month phone service.

I'm moving to Las Vegas.

In four weeks.

<font color="blue">My "side job" for the past six months has been selling "play chips" from an internet poker site.</font> I win these things by the millions, and people pay me for them (Ebay is the greatest thing ever). I am the King. It's time to step up to real play, and Detroit isn't exactly the place to do that.

Oh, I'll probably get a real job. It's not like marketing requires any brain power, so I can find something that pays the bills. But I plan to spend many hours sitting around consuming free liquor - something better than Old English, anway.

The beauty of this plan is that I can do it on the cheap. My buddy Russ B. spends a lot of time in town, and he'll hook me up with a place to live for a few months. Besides, he needs the money. I'll have enough money for a few months of student loan payments and Mac n Cheese. If I get bored or broke, I can always bartend.

I just came up with a dream, and I'm going for it. Is that wrong?

Okay, maybe this isn't so much a crisis post, sorry about that.

I always wondered who sold those play money chips. Should I ask him if he reads 2+2? /images/graemlins/smile.gif

bonanz
01-21-2005, 12:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I am the King. It's time to step up to real play, and Detroit isn't exactly the place to do that.

[/ QUOTE ]

that is hilarious!

CrazyEyez
01-21-2005, 12:59 AM
That's hilarious.
Ask him if it's like that poker you see on TV, and will he teach you how to play?

Homer
01-21-2005, 01:05 AM
http://www.icrunchdata.com/

Maybe I should learn SAS. I've done some programming in the past.

MicroBob
01-21-2005, 01:06 AM
Not that this happens to everyone...but I know A LOT of people who went back to school...basically because they couldn't think of anything better to do...maybe hoped they would find some sort of inspiration there perhaps.

And many that chose this route REALLY regretted it. They had gotten to the point where they couldn't drop out when they realized it was a bad idea because family-peers would just view it as another failed venture in their life.

Obviously some people who go back to school do great and are happy as a clam that they did it.
but I strongly caution doing it as a fall-back just because nothing else seems better.
4 more years sitting at a desk and cramming and writing papers can go a long way to making you more depressed than you already are already. If you really KNOW you want to go back then do it. But if you aren't really that sure then I suggest it probably isn't such a hot idea.

JoeC
01-21-2005, 01:14 AM
Is Russ B. who I think it is?

Homer
01-21-2005, 01:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Is Russ B. who I think it is?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you're thinking of Russ G, from RGP.

deacsoft
01-21-2005, 01:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Have you considered starting your own business, possibly using poker to help you get started? With respect, I think that's the only way you're going to hit most/all of your goals (although most traditional self-employed people work &gt;40 hrs a week, especially the first few years).

J

[/ QUOTE ]

My thoughts exactly.

I had many different jobs and was never happy. I need to be able to work how I want to. In addition to and somewhat because of that (and several other reasons), I can't stand the corporate world. Yeah, I'm self-employed now and have been for quite some time.

Dr. Strangelove
01-21-2005, 06:31 AM
Rob banks.

And I have to admit I sold something like 40-50 million UB play chips on Ebay for $600.

Homer
01-21-2005, 06:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Rob banks.

And I have to admit I sold something like 40-50 million UB play chips on Ebay for $600.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, that's crazy. Why would anyone pay so much for play money chips? Why not use the $600 and play 1/2 or 2/4?

GuyOnTilt
01-21-2005, 06:42 AM
Hey Homer,

Heh, I know, I know. The only problem is that the swings, even at 5/10 SH, get to me.

I remember way, way, way back when we were both in the 3/6 game online and for whatever reason it started to really suck. A lot of 2+2'ers in that game got out and either moved up to 5/10 or down to 2/4. I remember you were in the latter and I really tried to encourage you to move up, 'cause you were definitely solid enough to be beating it for more than you'd make at 2/4, but you had a really big fear of large swings in terms of dollars. It sounds like you've still basically got the same thing, though you're playing 5/10 short now which is good. But honestly, everything you described is exactly what I have playing poker online professionally. Except for the whole 40 hours a week thing. But really, I think if you give it a shot, you could be pretty happy with it. At least for a couple years. I'm sure you've already thought through this option, but I'd encourage you to think some more.

Take care man.

GoT

KidNapster
01-21-2005, 08:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
From personal experience... being a poker-pro defines your life.

KidNapster
01-21-2005, 08:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Have you considered starting your own business,

[/ QUOTE ]

Having started two, I wouldn't recommend it unless you don't mind not having time off for the next few years. Even though it sometimes seems like the ticket to long-term financial freedom, for me it was just a quick route to a long-term headache. That said... selling a business can bring in a lot of money /images/graemlins/cool.gif

goodguy_1
01-21-2005, 08:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Heh, I know, I know. The only problem is that the swings, even at 5/10 SH, get to me. I'm pretty sure I could hack it as I've been two-tabling at a rate of about $55/hr (including rakeback), but I don't know that I could put in 40 hrs/wk and again, the short-term swings get to me,

[/ QUOTE ]
I hate to admit this Homer but I think I make the most money possible online for someone like you/I that dislike large swings.The only way you can make say $200-$300 a day with low swingage by that I mean hourly sd's in your various games of $50-$75..so a bad hour you may loss $150-225. is to mulit-table number one,number two play 3-4 games well NLHE,LHE,PLO whatever it is so you can play in the best games anywhere online..3rd you need to play not just at Party but at all decent sized rooms to hop on good games..this is work.4th you must play well short-handed and full..You need to hone all your skills to be an oppurtunist.Lastly you gotta play even when you dont feel like it -you must put in large amount of hours/hands.you clobber the mutants/fish by playing massive hours..this is where most players burn out...luckily many of us love to play!
I made $53K last year ..the only losing week I had was when 1800GAMBLER punished me heads-up.I have not had a losing week in more than a year when I include bonuses..My goal this year is minimum $70K..would like to do $100K...but all this takes alot of work..and I work very hard..For the last 6 months I'm on $75K a year pace cause I stepped up to play more $1-2 NL 6MAX/Full and higher LHE games..My goal is to be playing $15-30 March.01 but that may be too soon.I know this is not alot of money to the top players but it's a good living and I love to play the game...dont mean to hijack your post.Just wanted to chime in and let you know you can make $40K+ with low swings..This inability to deal with swings thu is real deficit for a serious player.I'm dealing with it right now.. I'm slowly moving higher and higher..
I'm very methodical most probably too much so..but I'm working on that...good luck whatever you do!

using the above method of playing a few different games for a minimum 24-32 table-hours 6 days a week you should be able to win 70-80% of your days(with more hours a higher %).Your losing days will be usually be $200/$300 $500 on a real bad day..Normal day $250/$300ish with good days $400-$900.

Homer
01-21-2005, 08:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Heh, I know, I know. The only problem is that the swings, even at 5/10 SH, get to me. I'm pretty sure I could hack it as I've been two-tabling at a rate of about $55/hr (including rakeback), but I don't know that I could put in 40 hrs/wk and again, the short-term swings get to me,

[/ QUOTE ]
I hate to admit this Homer but I think I make the most money possible online for someone like you/I that dislike large swings.The only way you can make say $200-$300 a day with low swingage by that I mean hourly sd's in your various games of $50-$75..so a bad hour you may loss $150-225. is to mulit-table number one,number two play 3-4 games well NLHE,LHE,PLO whatever it is so you can play in the best games anywhere online..3rd you need to play not just at Party but at all decent sized rooms to hop on good games..this is work.4th you must play well short-handed and full..You need to hone all your skills to be an oppurtunist.Lastly you gotta play even when you dont feel like it -you must put in large amount of hours/hands.you clobber the mutants/fish by playing massive hours..this is where most players burn out...luckily many of us love to play!
I made $53K last year ..the only losing week I had was when 1800GAMBLER punished me heads-up.I have not had a losing week in more than a year when I include bonuses..My goal this year is minimum $70K..would like to do $100K...but all this takes alot of work..and I work very hard..For the last 6 months I'm on $75K a year pace cause I stepped up to play more $1-2 NL 6MAX/Full and higher LHE games..My goal is to be playing $15-30 March.01 but that may be too soon.I know this is not alot of money to the top players but it's a good living and I love to play the game...dont mean to hijack your post.Just wanted to chime in and let you know you can make $40K+ with low swings..This inability to deal with swings thu is real deficit for a serious player.I'm dealing with it right now.. I'm slowly moving higher and higher..
I'm very methodical most probably too much so..but I'm working on that...good luck whatever you do!

using the above method of playing a few different games for a minimum 24 table-hours 6 days a week you should be able to win 70-80% of your days(with more hours a higher %).Your losing days will be usually be $200/$300 $500 on a real bad day..Normal day $250/$300ish with good days $400-$900.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for your thoughts. I have no problem multitabling (2 tables of 5/10 SH, working on adding a 3rd), but I do have trouble putting in the hours. I have played 3 tables for 2 hours this morning (up 55 BB's, wahoo) and am already a bit burnt out. Really the best I could hope for is 30 hrs/wk. That would give me about $1500 a week, or $75K/yr, which is way more than I need right now, but I do worry about hitting a wall one day where I can't even put in 30 hrs/wk.

-- Homer

The once and future king
01-21-2005, 09:02 AM
SNG's is all I can say.

Reduces poker grind by about 50% at least. You can multi table 50s and have an expectation of 40-50$ an hour.

The thought of grinding ring makes me cry.

goodguy_1
01-21-2005, 09:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
but I do worry about hitting a wall one day where I can't even put in 30 hrs/wk.

[/ QUOTE ]
np then you take off for 3 weeks travel whatever...come back and you are refreshed..

the most important thing is getting in the hours over your whole year..you can take off whenenever you want just as long as you make up for it somewhere down the line.I really think it's hard to do this IF you dont love the game and like to play.If you do love the game getting in massive hours isnt as difficult..you'll still have to stave off burnout..but If someone doesnt like to play for whatever reason gettin in those hours is going to be a bitch.

Now if we would just play way higher..we would'nt need to play big hours..thats the way to go obviously if you can beat the game and deal with the inevitable swings.

goodguy_1
01-21-2005, 09:27 AM
$5-10 6MAX.My hourly sd is $170.That's swingy if you are not used to those type of swings..all I was trying to say is you can make a decent living with low intraday and daily swings.

jakethebake
01-21-2005, 09:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Rick Diesel
01-21-2005, 10:05 AM
Wow, was i the only one who thought the "cross-posted on QLC" was a joke?

Dr. Strangelove
01-21-2005, 10:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Rob banks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, that's crazy. Why would anyone pay so much for play money chips? Why not use the $600 and play 1/2 or 2/4?

[/ QUOTE ]

I assume because they are terrible and the chips look the same as real chips. You also get the somewhat dubious honor of playing at the highest limits available on the site (1k-2k NL and PL Omaha ).

WDC
01-21-2005, 10:14 AM
I don't have a clue about other jobs but please give up teaching. If your students don't know basic math and you are putting the blame on them you should not be teaching. You dont have the heart for it.

Paluka
01-21-2005, 10:22 AM
It seems pretty clear from your posts that you should at least try a second engineering job. Switching fields because a particular employer sucked is a little hasty.

Homer
01-21-2005, 10:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
$5-10 6MAX.My hourly sd is $170.That's swingy if you are not used to those type of swings..all I was trying to say is you can make a decent living with low intraday and daily swings.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mine is $167, so almost exactly the same. The swings at that level don't bother me too much. Anything higher would take a toll on me, though, I'm sure.

Homer
01-21-2005, 10:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Wow, was i the only one who thought the "cross-posted on QLC" was a joke?

[/ QUOTE ]

It was at first. Then I went ahead and did it to see if I'd get banned for no apparent reason.

Homer
01-21-2005, 10:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It seems pretty clear from your posts that you should at least try a second engineering job. Switching fields because a particular employer sucked is a little hasty.

[/ QUOTE ]

It wasn't just for that reason. There are other reasons that I didn't mention, but yeah, it might have been a bit hasty.

Homer
01-21-2005, 10:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't have a clue about other jobs but please give up teaching. If your students don't know basic math and you are putting the blame on them you should not be teaching. You dont have the heart for it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where did I say I was blaming them? I love anonymous forums.

fnord_too
01-21-2005, 11:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
That would give me about $1500 a week, or $75K/yr, which is way more than I need right now

[/ QUOTE ]

Just a note, if you go this route, make sure you put a healthy chunk away for retirement. The real benefits of jobs IMO are not the lower risk. Certainly a guranteed pay check is nice, but what is nicer are things like retirement plans with matching contributions and health care. Also, you should be thinking about buying a house (if I knew how easy this was when I was 25 I would have been all over it), and you will have problems getting a loan if you don't have a regular job. (Basically, they will want to see two years of income from your freelance work, i.e. poker, and even then it may be difficult.)

Having said that, you are young enough that if you do go pro for a year or two, and are unable to make enough to live in the lifestyle you require and save for the future, you will not be in awful shape.

I would probably advise getting another job. There are a lot of jobs out there that require you to do math and be creative, but even in those you will likely have plenty of days where your work is pure drudgery. As others have noted, starting your own business is hard and intense, though it is also pretty fun. Since you seem rather risk averse, this is probably not the greatest route for you right now.

I'd keep looking for job that is acceptable, and definitely look into buying a house when you find one.

turnipmonster
01-21-2005, 11:36 AM
homer I was going to suggest something like this. typically marketing depts have a SAS guy, it sounds like this type of thing might be really well suited for you.

--turnipmonster

Phat Mack
01-21-2005, 01:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
- I want to work independently most of the time

- I want to be able to work from home on occasion

- I want to do something that involves manipulating/analyzing numbers/data

- I want to be able to flex some creative muscle and don't want to be told exactly what to do all the time (I hate taking orders)

- I don't want to have to go back to school and if I need prior training, would like to be able to do it on my own and get it done within a couple of months

- I want to start out at 37-40K/yr at a minimum, with the potential to move up over time

[/ QUOTE ]

Work for a very small company.

Don't be an actuary, most of them lead corporate lives at the big insurance firms.

Take a job that you think will be fun. Enough money will come if you love what you're doing. Life is way to short to spend going to a job you hate--it's just not worth it.

1800GAMBLER
01-21-2005, 01:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You must have a gazillion BB roll for 5/10, right...?

[/ QUOTE ]

A trillion maybe, not a gazillion. But yeah, enough.

[ QUOTE ]
How about going and playing some 40/80 on Paradise or something very high somewhere, just for a few hours. Hopefully at some point during the swing you go through a few grand relatively quickly Then go back to 5/10. The swings shouldn't seem nearly as bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

I did play 15/30 on Party for an hour or two one day. After I went back down to 5/10, it seemed like 2/4. But that feeling quickly wore off. I'm pretty sure that 5/10 SH and 10/20 full are around my emotional bankroll limit. I really hate myself for it, too, because I know I can beat that game adequately and could probably beat 15/30 (or higher) as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Take a stake?

snowbank
01-21-2005, 02:28 PM
I have thought about starting my own business. There are two problems, though, money and an idea. Money is gradually not becoming as much of an issue (thank you, poker), but I have no ideas. I wouldn't mind putting in more than 40 hours a week if I was working for myself, I just can't handle doing so in a corporate environment. Thanks for the thought...

Shoot me a PM Homer. If you are interested in doing something on your own, outside of the "job" environment, maybe we could work something out. I have TOO many ideas, but I'm a one man show, so I barely have any time to work on them with school and everything else I have going on.

WDC
01-21-2005, 02:47 PM
You certainly were not taking the responsibility for your failure to teach them.

DeezNuts
01-21-2005, 03:17 PM
http://www.time.com/time/covers/1101050124/story.html

I relate, except I don't live with my parents and I'm financially sound.

TimM
01-21-2005, 03:35 PM
This is stuff they should have learned many years before reaching 10th or 11th grade. What about all of the math teachers they had for the previous 7 or 8 years?

Homer
01-21-2005, 03:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You certainly were not taking the responsibility for your failure to teach them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does anyone have any idea what this guy is talking about? I honestly have no clue. I made a statement of fact, that these kids don't know much math. I didn't blame them, I didn't blame myself. I didn't provide any opinion whatsoever. It seems that you're just looking to start [censored]. You can take it somewhere else.

ThaSaltCracka
01-21-2005, 04:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]some people are just horrible at math.