PDA

View Full Version : Was I playing scared?

UMTerp
01-20-2005, 10:16 PM
...or is this a fold you must make at this level? Every once in a while, when I'm having a reeeally good day or days, I'll take a shot at a $525+$30 Turbo on Stars. Well, I'm playing my third one tonight (finished 2nd in the first two!), and this hand came up at the beginning. Ignore preflop - an argument can be made for any of the three options. I chose to limp along. All comments appreciated.

My opponent in this hand is trisant. Don't know a thing about him.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

SB (t2410)
BB (t1490)
UTG (t1600)
UTG+1 (t590)
Hero (t1495)
MP2 (t1470)
MP3 (t1470)
CO (t1480)
Button (t1495)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG calls t30, UTG+1 folds, Hero calls t30, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t120) Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t120</font>, SB folds, BB calls t120, UTG folds.

Turn: (t360) 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets t120</font>, Hero calls t120.

River: (t600) 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets t600</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: t1200

SoCalPat
01-20-2005, 10:42 PM
I make a pot-sized raise on the turn, and if my opponent pushes back, I'm going for the ride. You're drawing dead only to AQ. Against AK, you have 3 outs to win and six more to chop. If he has QQ, you have seven outs. If he has a flush, you have 10 (except for in the ungodly instance he's holding KTd -- then you only have 9). Since AK and QQ are usually raised PF, you can almost discount those options.

Hardly longshot odds you're facing, and there's still a good chance you have the best hand.

Fold the river for 600? By my math, if you call and lose, you'll still have 600 left. With the blinds as small as they are, you're far from desperation mode and you can still get plenty of hands to play.

Yeah, I'm not big on how you played it. Then again, I don't play multis for this buy-in, much less SNG's. So what do I know, right?

willperkins
01-20-2005, 10:55 PM
Let me preface this by stating I am fairly new and still learning to play this game. However, IMHO this is the way I would have played it from the flop forward (since you said to ignore the preflop).

flop: I bet t90. I think that 2/3 of the pot is plenty. My thinking is I have the best hand unless they are slowplaying AA. I put them on a weaker A or flush draw and betting 2/3 of the pot is plenty to give any of the remaining players incorrect odds to draw to a str8 or flush.

Turn:
Just like you, I think he hit his flush. You are getting 4 to 1 pot odds to call and you are 3.6 to 1 to hit the boat. Not exactly great odds but enough to make a call.

Did you consider making a reraise of say t350 just to see where you were at, or were you pretty sure he had the flush?

River:

No boat, so I fold.

adanthar
01-20-2005, 11:54 PM
If this is a truly thinking, aggressive player, I think you folded to a worse kicker.

You have got to raise this turn, because once you just call you will face a pot bet on the river 100% of the time.

J-Lo
01-20-2005, 11:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Let me preface this by stating I am fairly new and still learning to play this game. However, IMHO this is the way I would have played it from the flop forward (since you said to ignore the preflop).

flop: I bet t90. I think that 2/3 of the pot is plenty. My thinking is I have the best hand unless they are slowplaying AA. I put them on a weaker A or flush draw and betting 2/3 of the pot is plenty to give any of the remaining players incorrect odds to draw to a str8 or flush.

Turn:
Just like you, I think he hit his flush. You are getting 4 to 1 pot odds to call and you are 3.6 to 1 to hit the boat. Not exactly great odds but enough to make a call.

Did you consider making a reraise of say t350 just to see where you were at, or were you pretty sure he had the flush?

River:

No boat, so I fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

I stopped reading after he saide "if they are slowplaying AA"

anywho... if u have no reads on the villain, than i think the fold is an easy play, do u put him on an A with worse kicker? He would very easily have the underboat... doubt he has the flush, because i think players playing this high would know better than to chase on a paired board...
I think folding is fine, but i'm a $25 turbo and $50 party player (and at these stakes there are enough maniacs to call this, but i'd prolly still fold)

UMTerp
01-20-2005, 11:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If this is a truly thinking, aggressive player, I think you folded to a worse kicker.

You have got to raise this turn, because once you just call you will face a pot bet on the river 100% of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

After I had a few minutes to think about the hand, I came to the exact same conclusion you did.

J-Lo
01-20-2005, 11:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

After I had a few minutes to think about the hand, I came to the exact same conclusion you did.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please enlighten me, on what hand does he put you? Does the flush not scare him? I can't put u on any hand from the BB that i would bet pot when a MP guy limps and leads out on a paired board

edit: i still think he has a boat... he mighta flopped it... isn't raising AQ fromthe blinds after a few limpers suicide?