PDA

View Full Version : immojay sails into the finals on pure luck

04-13-2002, 03:08 PM
i hope you actually have to PLAY your cards to get any further

04-13-2002, 03:26 PM
I played him in round 3 before you honold.Yes he did get lucky and hit alot of cards but he also didn't miss too many bets.I think he plays pretty good and when someone plays good and hits cards that person is almost unbeatable.Good luck in next round immojay.PS a huge thanks to MS Sunshine for all the time and effort put into this event!

04-13-2002, 04:09 PM
he plays well, not just pretty well, but i only got to see that for a few minutes of back-and-forth until they threw the deck at him on every single hand. i really don't care about the prize money, and i think we were evenly matched, but it's infinitely frustrating to have somebody beat you by virtue of complete luck. i guess it happened to the other 3 people i played before him, because they were marginal at best. tedow handed me all his money preflop. every time the flop came 862, he would checkraise the turn with an 8 no matter what fell, and it was the only time he would checkraise the turn. j/q/k/a comes on the turn and he checkraises, it meant he had top pair. i never even got to exploit that. numnutz was the worst opponent i played, folding most small blinds and reraising most big blinds (??) regardless of holdings, and terrible postflop aggression. i could check/call him into betting queen high all the way down. leula is probably a reasonable full game player, but didn't seem like they had much heads up experience. i pretty much won that won due to too much preflop folding as well.

it's a little later and i'm no longer furious, but immojay's skill (which he has) won him about 5% of the money he got - the rest was utter deck clobbering. i'll be frustrated if he advances uncontested again, because our match was literally a gimme. all he had to do was sit down and figure out how to avoid the fold button.

04-13-2002, 05:05 PM
From reading your post honold i have determined that u r a legend in your own mind.

04-13-2002, 06:59 PM
i like to think of myself as more of a demi-god than a legend, but i'll take that too

immojay could have beaten me straight up.

he got up on me a number of times because of clear mistakes i made, mostly lack of aggression. i had at and he had less than at, either a draw or a queen, on the turn. raised me and i quickly checked it to him on the end when no draws were completed by the river. should have bet. 25 turned gutshot wheel and pair of fives, checked him to a six on the end. didn't 3bet preflop with 55, would have won on the flop. those are the real notables, but it was obvious that i got too gunshy and lost some pots because of it.

i think our strengths were directly opposed, so it would have come down to a combination of luck and thin value based on the other person's weakness. i wasn't checkraising enough on the flop so he could take lots of pots off me when i checked it to him, and i wasn't leveraging the fact that i had a reputation of betting in first position when i had it enough. i started adjusting for that. he was folding too much preflop, and i was only folding occasionally on my small blinds to keep him off my scent, which he adjusted to.

nobody really enjoys hollow victories, and i was being a baby. luck was the big determining factor in our match, i just wish it hadn't been so dramatic for both of our sake.

04-13-2002, 08:07 PM
yeah, what he said!!!!!!!!!!!!

04-13-2002, 11:31 PM
I felt REALLY bad for Bob L. I made a couple just awful plays and hit 2 or 3 outers when they didn't work.

In all seriousness, of course I was lucky. My match with honold ended very quickly, yet we were fairly evenly matched. Only explanation for that is luck. Like I said then, "It happens sometimes." I don't blame anybody for getting upset when they lose...I do it all the time.

BTW honold, thanks for the advice regarding preflop play...I was seeing that myself when I reviewed later. The only thing I saw glaring was when you decided to kick up the aggression for about 5 minutes. Took 400 of my chips before I realized I had been folding too much. After that, we were both throwing in chips and getting committed to the hand early. From there, my draws hit, yours didn't, and the rest is history. See you on Pokerstars again some time soon. Good luck to the other 7 finalists and of course, a HUGE thanks goes out to MS Sunshine.

Mojay

04-14-2002, 12:39 AM
really, the lack of quick preflop adjustment was the ONLY thing i thought was off - your flop/turn/river play was awesome.

may your skill carry you further through /images/wink.gif