PDA

View Full Version : Lawsuit over Homework

Dan Rutter
01-20-2005, 10:03 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/news/metro/jan05/294687.asp

This attempted lawsuit is coming from a kid that goes to my high school (he is actually in my younger brothers class, I have graduated). For those who do not want to read it here is the story in brief. The kid signed up for honors pre-calculus for the Fall 2004 school year. The year before, the kids taking the class met their teacher, and were told there would be some homework assignments that would be given over the summer. After hearing this he still took the class, and now he and his father are naming the teacher, the math department chair, the principal, the school district and the state schools superintendent in their lawsuit. They are filing a lawsuit over the fact that there was homework over summer vacation.

I find this to be a huge waste of tax payers money and court time when lawsuits like this are heard. Some will argue vacation is vacation time, I know. But when taking a honors class you will likely have to make some sacrifices. Also in order to complete the class with a reasonable grade there is probably some information the students should know beforehand, as well as insuring the students continue to progress with their math skills and do not allow them to diminish over three months.

Sponger15SB
01-20-2005, 10:05 PM
I for one think homework over summer is a bunch of bullshit, so I don't really mind this lawsuit.

stabn
01-20-2005, 10:07 PM
I don't give a [censored] if they assign it, but actually requiring it and grading it is total bs. If they want to give it out for the teachers pets to do that's cool with me.

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!!
01-20-2005, 10:07 PM
I think that ALL homework should be banned!!!!1

Schneids
01-20-2005, 10:12 PM
For one of my English classes we had tons of grammar stuff to do over the summer. The catch was that it was "due" on the second day of class, so, technically, it didn't count as being strictly summer homework; even though there was no way anyone could come anywhere close to finishing all that was assigned in one day.

I would estimate it was 30 hours worth of work. Yes, I did it during the summer. Maybe this lawsuit should turn class-action.

MEbenhoe
01-20-2005, 10:16 PM
This kid is a moron. I took quite a few AP classes in high school and there was almost always a little bit of summer work to go along with it. Just like this kid we were told before signing up for the class about the work. If you can't do the work don't take the class. Next is someone gonna sue when a teacher gives an assignment over christmas vacation or spring break?

jasonHoldEm
01-20-2005, 10:47 PM
I didn't used to think things were as bad as everyone claimed they were regarding the american education system. Part of that is the fact I'm relatively young and was lucky enough to go to a good school system as well as a good college.

I'm currently living with a friend who is a high school teacher, and I have a number of other friends from college who are now teaching professionally all over the country, and it's absolutely amazing how bad things really are. [censored] like this lawsuit gets a lot of press, but the fact is most kids (even in honors classes) just don't do the work in the first place...they just don't care and neither do the parents.

It's scary to think about what's going to happen in another 10 or 20 years when these kids grow into adulthood and can't [censored] read. Something needs to be done soon or some very bad things are in store for America's future.

(Christ, I'm begining to sound like my old man...)

J

ThaSaltCracka
01-20-2005, 10:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think that ALL homework should be banned!!!!1

[/ QUOTE ]
down with school!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

deacsoft
01-20-2005, 11:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
neither do the parents.

It's scary to think about what's going to happen in another 10 or 20 years when these kids grow into adulthood and can't [censored] read. Something needs to be done soon or some very bad things are in store for America's future.

[/ QUOTE ]

If it's the parents that don't care forget 10-20 years from now. It's already begun.

jasonHoldEm
01-20-2005, 11:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If it's the parents that don't care forget 10-20 years from now. It's already begun.

[/ QUOTE ]

Indeed...well said. "Everyone" ends up blaming the teachers (i.e. you need to motivate the students to learn, etc) but (while this is true to a point) if there is no support from the parents helping the kids to learn at home (instead of starting lawsuits on their behalf) there is no reason for the kids to put forth the effort. I remember absolutely HATING my mother at times when I was a kid, when she made me work on my homework instead of playing video games or whatever, but now I'm very glad she was there for me.

J

deacsoft
01-20-2005, 11:52 PM
I'm a father and I send my daughter to private school in an attempt to shelter her from the shortcomings of public schools. Things such as this lawsuit are a perfect example. Many parents that care and can afford to send their kids to private schools. It seems that, at least with my daughter's school, nearly all of the parents are there to support their children and push them in the direction of a fuller life through education.

lastchance
01-21-2005, 12:13 AM
At least make the lawsuit before you have to do the HMWK. Then, maybe you might have a case. Really, this reeks of lameness. I mean, I hated my math teacher last year, as much as anyone could have. Reamed piles of HMWK down my arse. Sucked like hell. But really, how do you expect to win this lawsuit?