PDA

View Full Version : Refurbished computers.

DBowling
01-20-2005, 09:57 PM
Anything wrong with them? Looks like it will save me about $200 at fry's if i get a refurbised model.

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!!
01-20-2005, 09:57 PM
If youre at frys, BUILD YOUR OWN COMPUTER!

Sponger15SB
01-20-2005, 10:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If youre at frys, BUILD YOUR OWN COMPUTER!

[/ QUOTE ]

most people who go to frys don't know how to build their own computer, I still can't find the any key and yet I shop at frys (guffaw, i kill me)

stabn
01-20-2005, 10:12 PM
They mislabeled it on your machine. They accidentally labeled it "reset".

DBowling
01-20-2005, 10:23 PM
i do not know how to BUILD MY OWN COMPUTER

DBowling
01-20-2005, 10:58 PM
nt

astroglide
01-21-2005, 12:47 PM
generally speaking, anything refurbished is about a billion times more likely to break again (that's why the warranties are so short on them). especially so on products with moving parts.

Sporky
01-21-2005, 03:32 PM
not sure about the computers at frys. i picked up a refurb dell laptop a couple years ago and it worked great. i also believe it had the same 1 year warranty as the new machines, but cost a couple hundred less. so i don't think all refurbs are bad, just make sure you get a decent warranty.

swede123
01-21-2005, 03:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
generally speaking, anything refurbished is about a billion times more likely to break again (that's why the warranties are so short on them). especially so on products with moving parts.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not at all true actually. Most refurbished stuff comes with the original guarantee, same as the new stuff. The refurbished stuff has been gone over to fix whatever was wrong originally, so I would say go for a refurb. item if you find the right one for the right price.

Cheers,

Swede

jakethebake
01-21-2005, 03:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
not sure about the computers at frys. i picked up a refurb dell laptop a couple years ago and it worked great. i also believe it had the same 1 year warranty as the new machines, but cost a couple hundred less. so i don't think all refurbs are bad, just make sure you get a decent warranty.

[/ QUOTE ]
I had a Dell refurb for 4 years. It worked good for me.

wonderwes
01-21-2005, 04:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i do not know how to BUILD MY OWN COMPUTER

[/ QUOTE ]

Its a brave new world. Have someone teach you. Real simple. Buy a case (get a good one), motherboard (hopefully a combo where the cpu and fan were already installed), ram, Harddrives, cdrom, video card, sound card (if not on motherboard), ethernet card and anything else.

Open the case. Mount the screws that prop up the motherboard. Put the board on those mounting screws, lock in. Mount the hard drives, cdrom, clip in the ram, and start inserting any pci/agp cards. Hook up the motherboard power cables and the ide cables to the computer. The red stripe on the ide cables goes on pin 1 of the harddrive. Now the cables can really go in one way. Set the case jumpers to the motherboard. If everything works, it should boot up with the all clear bios beep on the motherboard.

There are always a few problems. Sometimes, the box wont even power on. Oops. Bios might give error beeps. Just follow the intro of the motherboard chapter and diagram.

If you just get blue sparks or that horrid smelling electrical smoke (done before), thats a bad thing. Power off immediately

Once you build your own machine and realize how sweet you can make it, with better hardware than they have in the stores, and that it is less likely to break, you'll wonder why you ever bought a computer.