PDA

View Full Version : How much would you lend me if I asked for it?

Inthacup
01-20-2005, 06:46 PM
I have never had to borrow money from 2+2ers(but I have been on the receiving end of 2+2 generosity). I do not need a loan and this question is purely out of curiousity.

Suppose I had some outside expense that wiped out my bankroll(medical bills or tuition or something). And suppose I came here asking for a loan for poker. How much would you feel comfortable giving me(assuming you have it)

ThaSaltCracka
01-20-2005, 06:49 PM
as much as it pains me to say, I wouldn't give you anything. I don't know much about you nor have I read many of your posts.

pshreck
01-20-2005, 06:52 PM
I dont think I would give anyone on here any money, yet. I don't think it's absolutely crazy to do so, I just think you should have high standards...

and thinking someone is cool or nice really shouldn't come very deeply into play.

When I competitively played Battlefield 1942, I blindly sent money to a internet friend in Texas once a month, to pay for our server. I trusted him as much as I really could hope to for not knowing him personally.

cnfuzzd
01-20-2005, 06:54 PM
my generousity would be limited only by my funds. As i am still a lowly 3/6 player, and one that is incurring some insane moving expenses, that wouldnt be much, but i wouldnt mind loaning you some cash.

really, there is a whole group of posters who fit into this catagory. fortunatly for me, most of them play at much higher stakes than me, so what i could give them would be fairly insignificant.

peace

john nickle

Daliman
01-20-2005, 06:56 PM
I have loaned as much as $2500 to people I know only from AIM.

AngryCola
01-20-2005, 06:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What's your AIM name again?

Tyler Durden
01-20-2005, 06:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
as much as it pains me to say, I wouldn't give you anything. I don't know much about you nor have I read many of your posts.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's something interesting about this. Why would it matter how many of his posts you've read? Does that mean you know someone, if you've read 48 posts by them? TSC, I'm not attacking you, just wondering aloud.

Inthacup
01-20-2005, 06:58 PM
fwiw, this doesn't even slightly offend me. I like the honesty. I do find your reply interesting though. Suppose you spent a few hours going through my posts, could that sway your decision?

Basically, if you got to know my 2+2 persona, would that convince you enough that I am trustworthy with your money?

Would you look primarily at strategy or non-strategy posts?

What would make up your mind?

MarkL444
01-20-2005, 07:01 PM
Is this just a regular loan? We only get back what we gave you? Also, how long do you *intend* to need the loan for?

ThaSaltCracka
01-20-2005, 07:03 PM
this is to both you and Tyler.

Well, in all honesty, I am familiar with you and those fellow 2+2'ers that are your friends. I would imagine if I had more of a repor with you and were familiar with what limits you play and your success at said limits I would be more willing. But honestly, I don't know either of those two. Yesterday John Nickel asked everyone a big favor, if people would lend him some $87, and I said I would if I had money on neteller (I didn't though) because I know he is good for it, because I have conversed with him enough, and I know who he plays. I can't say the same for Cup, but thats not a knock on him, thats just the truth, and thats the truth because I haven't read many of him posts in strategy.

SaltCocka Qwn3d
01-20-2005, 07:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I haven't read many of him posts in strategy.

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF are you doing on a [censored] poker forum then?

Shajen
01-20-2005, 07:08 PM
http://www.ebaumsworld.com/forumfun/stfu3.jpg

nolanfan34
01-20-2005, 07:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
my generousity would be limited only by my funds.

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably the same for me. I'd quantify it on what I perceive as your skill level x likelihood of trustworthyness that I'd be paid back. In your case those factors would be enough that I'd loan money.

Of course there would be a clause that you'd have to let me know the next time you guys go to Vegas, so I could tag along for an evening of crazy 3-6 at the Mirage.

ThaSaltCracka
01-20-2005, 07:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I haven't read many of him posts in strategy.

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF are you doing on a [censored] poker forum then?

[/ QUOTE ] IIRC he plays limits far higher than what I do.

Sponger15SB
I've thought of this question as well and wondered if I could ask people if I needed for money for staking, and I'm pretty sure I could dig up $1-2k pretty freaking easily to play $50-100nl.

That being said, I couldn't give you any money, because I barely have any myself, although if I had it, I would be able to lend someone I knew who was a winning player and knew somewhat well (conversations on AIM, PMs, etc) anywhere under like $1,000 without much thought (edit- and if I had more and they wanted more, it wouldn't take much more thought to give up more money). I think that 2+2ers that have over 2,000 posts or have been around for at least a year are generally very trustworthy people.

2 instances in which people trusted me which have both occured in the past month:

Friend let me bonus whore on his account when he was home for the holidays and not playing poker, and I would give him 1/2 of the bonus ($200 on party), so he put $1,000 in his account and gave me his password and whatever and I played on his account without fear of chip dumping and fleeing the country, I doubt he has even changed his password or anything since then

Also, while suffering from boredom due to mismanaged cashout times, I asked a friend to send me $200 on party and it was in my account in 10 minutes, and back to him the next day with an extra $5 as a thank you /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Shajen
I don't know much about you Cup, but I throw a Benji your way...just because it wouldn't mean much to me and if it would help out then cool, you know?

Inthacup
01-20-2005, 07:16 PM
There's no specific answer to the questions you asked, so let me put it like this:

Would your answer be different or the same for the following options:

Assume I'm playing until I build up 300BBs for set limit

1. Straight loan, no interest until after a mutually agreed date
2. Loan with interest from day 1
3. Loan receiving a cut of profits
4. Bankroll, Knish-style. You receive a cut of profits, but if I lose, it's your loss

ThaSaltCracka
01-20-2005, 07:48 PM
I wouldn't charge interest. I would stake someone if they wanted to do that instead and my bankroll could afford it.

IndieMatty
01-20-2005, 08:12 PM
Money Ain't a thang.

Patrick del Poker Grande
01-20-2005, 08:13 PM
Straight cash, homey!

Michael Davis
01-20-2005, 09:37 PM
Alright I'll try to answer this honestly.

Before even looking at the options I thought I would lend you about 10K just from what I know of you on 2+2. I would expect it to be safe with you.

However, also from what I know of you on 2+2, I can't see any good reason why you would need 10K. So if you actually asked me for it, I might start considering that everything I've heard on here is BS and I probably wouldn't loan you the money.

I realize this is a total catch-22.

-Michael

fnord_too
01-20-2005, 10:13 PM
I don't know you so I wouldn't lend you anything. If you had a particularly bad sob story that was moderately verifyiable, I might transfer you some funds, but like rebates from CompUSA, the prospect of getting something back would not influence my decision.

Schneids
01-20-2005, 10:14 PM
I said $5000.

theBruiser500
01-20-2005, 10:31 PM
I wouldn't lend you much inthacup, but I think this is what you're getting at in your question... Other 2+2 people that I do know better I would trust with a lot of money 5k, maybe 10k maybe more.

Joe Tall
01-20-2005, 10:33 PM
How bad have you been runnin? Feel free to PM me.

Go Pats!
Joe Tall

CCass
01-20-2005, 10:59 PM
I chose $100, only because of my BR limitations, not because of you. In my dealings with you, I have found you to be a straight shooter, and would loan/give you whatever I could afford.

Losing all
01-20-2005, 11:03 PM
I picked 1K. No chance I would back any poster (no matter how respected or good at poker) if I hadn't had previous dealings with them. The number's small because that's all I could afford to piss off (jic I got fuked) and I would expect a return.

It would probably be a different story if i were a high-roller, but I'd still expect a return.

Homer
01-20-2005, 11:06 PM
Somewhere between $500 and $1000, depending on how long you needed the money.

daryn
01-20-2005, 11:09 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />

[/ QUOTE ]

ditto

elwoodblues
01-20-2005, 11:12 PM
$1.97.

Seriously though, if you are playing poker and tuition wiped out your bankroll you are terrible at money management and I wouldn't lend you anything. If you needed money for medical expenses I'd think about it (note that in the hypotheical you said that you needed money for poker because of medical expenses --- that's kind of pathetic)

ArchAngel71857
01-20-2005, 11:38 PM
whatever.

the juice would be crazy gorilla math though.

-AA

Homer
01-20-2005, 11:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is very odd. I just got a PM asking for a loan of approximately this amount.

EDIT - Not from Inthacup, of course.

Kenrick
01-21-2005, 03:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Would you look primarily at strategy or non-strategy posts?

[/ QUOTE ]

Normally a loan means I'd look at someone's non-strategy posts to get a sense of what kind of person they are. It may be hard to tell the in-betweens, but you can often get a good sense of whether someone is a straight-shooter or not.

Since it'd be a poker loan, looking at the strategy posts is equally important because now the person needs to be judged not only on if they are honest but also if they can win in the first place. Some other method of seeing how good they are would also be valid besides just strategy posts.

The amount would depend a lot on what 300bb bankroll is trying to be won. It's a lot easier to loan a grand to someone for them to play 2/4 than it is to loan money for 20/40.

I think with a somewhat-unknown, some type of interest needs to be charged at least at some point, otherwise the person might get lazy and just sit on the money instead of doing something good with it. I can't see anyone doing a #4 Knish loan unless they really know the person.

Daliman
01-21-2005, 04:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Shortly after this post, I recieved this email, from a player saying his name is Simon Chang.

Hi, I've read some of your posts on 2+2 and I was wondering if you
could help me out. This is pretty weird for me to ask you to loan me
money when I don't even
know you, but I'm in kind of a desperate situation right now. I lost
quite a bit of money playing poker (moved up in stakes without a
proper bankroll, hit a downswing and tilted), so I'm a bit behind in
bills and I also owe party poker $500, plus some tuition/book stuff I
need to take care of this week. I know this is A LOT to ask, but I'm
wondering if you'd let me borrow $1k. I get my paycheck next thursday
so I can pay you back then... I know there's no reason for you to
trust me to pay you your money back, so I completely understand if you
can't loan me this money. All I can say is that I promise to
pay you back, and I'd really appreciate it if you would help me out...
Thanks.

Simon

Sigh........

GuyOnTilt
01-21-2005, 04:46 AM
Shortly after this post, I recieved this email, from a player saying his name is Simon Chang.

Ditto.

I picked $10,000, though it would depend on a few things. Cup, if this is somewhat more of just a curiousity poll, feel free to PM me.

GoT

Alobar
01-21-2005, 05:08 PM
If I had it, I'd give it to you. Unfortunately I dont have much, so try not to ever go bust /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Inthacup
01-21-2005, 05:32 PM
ughhh. I'm sorry if any of you guys have gotten similar emails. I guess I should have known that some people would attempt to take advantage of the replies here.

I really appreciate the open offers. My bankroll is in good shape. Honestly, I find the varying mentalities on loaning money within 2+2 pretty amazing.

Thanks again for the concern.

Cup

ThaSaltCracka
01-21-2005, 05:40 PM
Cup, I made up my mind. I don't have much dough online, but I would lend you $50 /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

cnfuzzd
01-21-2005, 06:09 PM
well since your roll is ok, why dont you convince one of your friends to loan me about ten g's /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

peace

john nickle

turnipmonster
01-21-2005, 06:11 PM
I have thought about staking people for small amounts a few times, but I don't think I'd go through with it, mainly because with internet poker the way it is it is almost impossible to come up with a case where someone is a winning 15/30 player, and then all of a sudden don't have enough enough of a roll to move down to a smaller game and get back on their feet.

what's the point of letting someone stake you for 33% of 15/30 when you can just play 5/10? it just doesn't make any sense to me.

it seems like most people that want to get staked just don't want to move down in stakes, and I definitely wouldn't want to stake anyone that had that quality.