PDA

View Full Version : Here's a good one, no googling

TimM
01-20-2005, 06:32 PM
You have undoubtedly heard of those mysterious islands where half the inhabitants always tell the truth and the other half always lie. Nobody seems to have actually visited one of these islands, but everyone knows of someone who has, someone who found himself at the fork in a road with a strange islander (who could be either a truth teller or a liar) and who was able to ask only one question to find the right path.

That's simple. So is the case where the islanders don't speak English and you have to interpret their response. It's even possible to find the right road if half of them are zombies or psycho killers and you are armed with one silly question.

I once found myself on an island that made those places look like "Romper Room." Picture, if you will, the Isle of Row, a one-acre forsaken swatch of desert in the middle of the Sea of Troubles. Despite its diminutive size, Row has no less than four kinds of people, all outwardly indistinguishable from one another. There are the members of the First Family, who always tell the truth, and the Pretenders, who never do. There are the Eccentrics, who may or may not tell the truth, depending on whim. Finally there are the Wimps, who are incapable of speaking unless they have heard one of the other kinds of people speak, and then they obsequiously chime in.

One day, as luck would have it, I found myself at the only crossroads on the island, facing four possible routes. Three Rowians stood by, milling about, and I had only two questions to ask in order to reach, as directly as possible, the fabled 100-foot Tower of Schmooze, the island's premier, albeit only, tourist attraction. What did I do?

pshreck
01-20-2005, 06:35 PM
Do you ask one of them a question directly, or can you pose a question to the 3 of them?

GuyOnTilt
01-20-2005, 06:39 PM
Sweet! This one's going to take me a while...

GoT

TimM
01-20-2005, 06:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Do you ask one of them a question directly, or can you pose a question to the 3 of them?

[/ QUOTE ]

The usual rules apply. You get two questions, each directed at the Rowian of your choice.

pshreck
01-20-2005, 06:41 PM
Pretty sure it is a trick answer... don't see any other way using the info to answer this question.

TimM
01-20-2005, 06:42 PM
You may end up hating me for this...

stabn
01-20-2005, 06:42 PM
Wrong.

pshreck
01-20-2005, 06:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
a one-acre forsaken swatch of desert

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
the fabled 100-foot Tower

[/ QUOTE ]

ok... are these the only two piece of info that matter?

TimM
01-20-2005, 06:55 PM
Ding!

But you should post in white.

http://www.calpoly.edu/~mcarlton/riddles.html

Riddle #4

I actually read this in the magazine years ago but the other questions here reminded me of it.

Shajen
01-20-2005, 07:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You have undoubtedly heard of those mysterious islands where half the inhabitants always tell the truth and the other half always lie. Nobody seems to have actually visited one of these islands, but everyone knows of someone who has, someone who found himself at the fork in a road with a strange islander (who could be either a truth teller or a liar) and who was able to ask only one question to find the right path.

That's simple. So is the case where the islanders don't speak English and you have to interpret their response. It's even possible to find the right road if half of them are zombies or psycho killers and you are armed with one silly question.

I once found myself on an island that made those places look like "Romper Room." Picture, if you will, the Isle of Row, a one-acre forsaken swatch of desert in the middle of the Sea of Troubles. Despite its diminutive size, Row has no less than four kinds of people, all outwardly indistinguishable from one another. There are the members of the First Family, who always tell the truth, and the Pretenders, who never do. There are the Eccentrics, who may or may not tell the truth, depending on whim. Finally there are the Wimps, who are incapable of speaking unless they have heard one of the other kinds of people speak, and then they obsequiously chime in.

One day, as luck would have it, I found myself at the only crossroads on the island, facing four possible routes. Three Rowians stood by, milling about, and I had only two questions to ask in order to reach, as directly as possible, the fabled 100-foot Tower of Schmooze, the island's premier, albeit only, tourist attraction. What did I do?

[/ QUOTE ]

Shoot one in the head. Ask where the Tower is. After you are answered, shoot another one in the head. Ask again.

Ok, for a serious answer, you gotta wait a bit....good one dude.

pshreck
01-20-2005, 07:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Ding!

But you should post in white.

http://www.calpoly.edu/~mcarlton/riddles.html

Riddle #4

I actually read this in the magazine years ago but the other questions here reminded me of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

hahah... I honestly didn't think that was the right answer, I just couldn't even get started doing it through asking 2 questions.

Wait... so what is the real answer?
PM me...

radar5
01-20-2005, 07:27 PM
Ok, this scares me.....that is what I was thinking.

A good pair of glasses and your done.

GuyOnTilt
01-20-2005, 07:28 PM
Yeah, so I was going to work on this one right now, but I spent an hour dinking around and talking baseball and now I'm headed out to the Commerce to kick some ass.

GoT