PDA

View Full Version : Lucid dreams

bholdr
01-20-2005, 05:11 PM
I mentioned to a freind the other day about how i sometimes have lucid dreams- that is, i am concious in the dream and concious of the fact that i am dreaming. i would estimate that about 10% of my dreams are like this. she said that was strange, but lacking an objective measure, i don't know if it is or not.

in the extreme examples i am not only aware of my dream-state, but can conciously control it and my dreams, sometimes just a simple "I think i'l wake up now" and i do, and sometimes it's waaaaay more so- "as long as i'm dreaming i may as well be screwing brooke burke... poof! sweeeeeet. (this has only worked a couple times, unfourtunatly). still other times i am fully aware that i'm dreaming but can't do a damn thing about it.

i wonder if it's all an illusion of conciousness, that is, instead of being concious of the dream, i am dreaming that i am concious of a dream...

It's tripping me out, man, wooaaahhh... /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

I have taken Absinthe, a derivitive of wormwood resin that supposedly provkes a lucid dream-state that's like a movie, and you're the director. but i couldn't get over the licorice tases to drink enough to feel a signifigant effect, though i did have some bizzare dreams that night.

also, about half of my dreams are in color, and half are black and white- do you all notice that too?

how many of you have the same experiences?

cnfuzzd
01-20-2005, 05:16 PM
i had a dream one night afterbars where i was having sex with a particularly hot ex girlfriend. Then, my lucid-ness kicked in, and i said to myself "this couldnt possibly be XXXXXX,,,,ah [censored] it" So i did. Woke up the next morning. reintroduced myself to the stranger next to me, and told her it was time to go. Ive belonged to pokerjo ever since.

peace

john nickle

Shilly
01-20-2005, 05:17 PM
I think there was a thread about this a month or two back. Interesting stuff though, I think it's something you can train yourself to do.

BusterStacks
01-20-2005, 05:18 PM
I had a dream last night where I was in some situation and I was like sweet, this is a dream. But when I went to do something crazy, I backed out because at the last minute I had doubts about whether it was actually a dream. weird.

bholdr
01-20-2005, 05:20 PM
i hate waking up in the morning and having to decide whihch to ask first:

"i'm really sorry, but what's your name?"
or
"sooooo did we, uh... you know.."

once i even had a third choice:

"where the hell am I?"

bholdr
01-20-2005, 05:21 PM
i absoutly love it when you're scared in a dream, but you know it's a dream, or is it....

like watching a really good horror movie

cnfuzzd
01-20-2005, 05:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]

"where the hell am I?"

[/ QUOTE ]

Once? you need to get out more. and i never ask their name. it shows weakness, and they pounce like rabid dogs. My line is typically something like "hey my name is john, and i like to eat breakfast alone." If they are somewhat known to me, i would sometimes go out to breakfast with them, and ignore them while i read the paper. some people claim i have intimacy issues. I chose to believe its because all i ever associate with are whores. good times.

peace

john nickle

jakethebake
01-20-2005, 05:26 PM
mine are all like this. and i've never had a b&w dream.

IndieMatty
01-20-2005, 05:31 PM
Potential thread Hijack...

worst option I had, and it really wasn't an option was...

"Yes, you really did piss my bed...That's why you are on my floor."

bholdr
01-20-2005, 05:36 PM
worst one I've HEARD:

"oh sh*t i slept with YOU? oh no..."

WTF! i know i was good (always am) desiese free, respectful (unless they ask me not to be /images/graemlins/smirk.gif), etc...

like i didn't already feel like [censored] because of the hangover.

A_C_Slater
01-20-2005, 05:50 PM
I have learned to lucid dream at will and so has a friend of mine. It is not a big deal once you learn how to do it. In fact lucid dreaming is a lot like learning to walk or speak. It's something everyone can do, but we have never been told to do it.

Recent evidence has showed that ancient civilizations in Mexico were very big on the lucid dreaming. It was a huge part of the culture. The most talented dreamers were the high priests and ruling elite. A recent insurgence of this ability is being done in modern research labs. Consciousness expansion, etc.

You must buy the book entitled The Art of Dreaming by Carlos Castaneda. We dream for a reason. It's not just a bunch of nonsense. I am at the point now where I can intend my dreams to be indistinguishable from waking reality. That's how real it is, yet I don't do it very often as it becomes very scary. And I also fear that I will become "trapped" in this "dream world" If I spend more than a few seconds in it. Some people can get beyond this fear and make quantum leaps in the expansion of their field of awareness.

Here's a starting technique so you can lucid dream at will. When you find yourself aware in a dream look down at your hands. Sometimes you will see a distorted version of hand (I usually see six fingers) but sometimes it will look exact. If it doesn't look exactly like your hands it doesn't matter. The hands should act like an 'anchor' look at your hands and when the image starts to fade look at your surroundings (your room, school, the street,etc) pick a random object and stare at it. It can be anything a tree, a pencil, a car, it doesn't matter, just stare at the object until it begins to dissipate. When it starts to dissipate immediately look back at your hands. Your starting goal should be to examine 4 objects before you lose awareness and fall back into normal sleep. The point of all this is that after a while and many months of this, the objects in your dream will no longer dissipate and they will have the appearance of solidity and permanence. Once you accomplish this task PM me and I'll tell you step 2. Or you can get that book I mentioned if you're really interested. They are 7 total steps of awareness that can be achieved. If you can get past step 2 I guarantee you will never be impatient at a poker table again. Most people can't get past step 3 (like me.)

cnfuzzd
01-20-2005, 05:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I have learned to lucid dream at will and so has a friend of mine. It is not a big deal once you learn how to do it. In fact lucid dreaming is a lot like learning to walk or speak. It's something everyone can do, but we have never been told to do it.

Recent evidence has showed that ancient civilizations in Mexico were very big on the lucid dreaming. It was a huge part of the culture. The most talented dreamers were the high priests and ruling elite. A recent insurgence of this ability is being done in modern research labs. Consciousness expansion, etc.

You must buy the book entitled The Art of Dreaming by Carlos Castaneda. We dream for a reason. It's not just a bunch of nonsense. I am at the point now where I can intend my dreams to be indistinguishable from waking reality. That's how real it is, yet I don't do it very often as it becomes very scary. And I also fear that I will become "trapped" in this "dream world" If I spend more than a few seconds in it. Some people can get beyond this fear and make quantum leaps in the expansion of their field of awareness.

Here's a starting technique so you can lucid dream at will. When you find yourself aware in a dream look down at your hands. Sometimes you will see a distorted version of hand (I usually see six fingers) but sometimes it will look exact. If it doesn't look exactly like your hands it doesn't matter. The hands should act like an 'anchor' look at your hands and when the image starts to fade look at your surroundings (your room, school, the street,etc) pick a random object and stare at it. It can be anything a tree, a pencil, a car, it doesn't matter, just stare at the object until it begins to dissipate. When it starts to dissipate immediately look back at your hands. Your starting goal should be to examine 4 objects before you lose awareness and fall back into normal sleep. The point of all this is that after a while and many months of this, the objects in your dream will no longer dissipate and they will have the appearance of solidity and permanence. Once you accomplish this task PM me and I'll tell you step 2. Or you can get that book I mentioned if you're really interested. They are 7 total steps of awareness that can be achieved. If you can get past step 2 I guarantee you will never be impatient at a poker table again. Most people can't get past step 3 (like me.)

[/ QUOTE ]

I mean this in the nicest was possible, but you are also the guy who struggles to not drink his own urine, and listens to avril lavigne songs.

peace

john nickle

A_C_Slater
01-20-2005, 05:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

"where the hell am I?"

[/ QUOTE ]

I mean this in the nicest was possible, but you are also the guy who struggles to not drink his own urine, and listens to avril lavigne songs.

peace

john nickle

[/ QUOTE ]

That was a joke. It's from a favorite novel of mine. I thought saying that would be better than "Do any of you read so and so, I like him, blah blah blah."

cnfuzzd
01-20-2005, 06:01 PM
"The Fear" post was a joke? Or this one. Cause this one sounds vaguely celestine prophecy like, which in my opinion was a terrible book. If you are refering to the fear post as being from the novelist, im curious as to who it is. i am about ready for another non-poker book.

peace

john nickle

PhatTBoll
01-20-2005, 06:17 PM
Interesting. Is this like esoterics or is it something completely different?

A_C_Slater
01-20-2005, 06:18 PM
This is not a joke. You can prove this to yourself by applying in your sleep everything that I stated. I read the first few chapter's of Celestine prophecy and thought it was horrendous and blatantly infantile and new age. I gave it back to the person who dared lend it to me. This is nothing of that sort. Just try it.

Ulysses
01-20-2005, 07:27 PM
What you described re: types of lucid dreams is pretty much exactly the same as my experience.

deacsoft
01-20-2005, 07:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"hey my name is john, and i like to eat breakfast alone."

[/ QUOTE ]

Would you mind if I used that one from time to time? I 'll use my own name though.

cnfuzzd
01-20-2005, 09:52 PM
sure, and, since its you, no charge.

peace

john nickle

theBruiser500
01-20-2005, 10:01 PM
Good post. What do you mean by this, "If you can get past step 2 I guarantee you will never be impatient at a poker table again"?

Voltron87
01-20-2005, 10:17 PM
I had a dream where I sat down at a 50/100 NL table at my local cardroom with my entire BR and lost Aces full of 4s to quad 4s. Then dreamed for an hour of walking home and getting to sleep. Then I dreamt of waking up in the morning and thinking about how I had nothing left. Then I woke up for real and got my clothes to get a shower, and after 5 minutes in the shower I realized it was all a dream and I had not lost a 5 figure amount of money. I felt so happy and relieved.

holeplug
01-20-2005, 10:30 PM
I've done a thing called astral projection before. Its kinda the same as a lucid dream but you don't actually fall asleep like in a lucid dream to do it.

jakethebake
01-21-2005, 09:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Damn hippies.

dr. klopek
01-21-2005, 09:59 AM
Does anybody know if it's true that you can't read in your dreams? I've never noticed.

A_C_Slater
01-21-2005, 11:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Damn hippies.

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn you jake. I knew someone would come on with this hippie crap. I play poker all day. There is no one that I know who is more capitalistic and materialistic than me. Money, money, money, that's all I care about. This is not about something new age and hippie. It's about somthing old. Something ancient that was lost to the spirit of man and is being rekindled. Purposeful and deliberate consciousness expansion without the use of artifical means (drugs.) Every human being on this Earth is obsessed with changing their world perspective (beer, marijuana, etc) but the way we go about doing it is the equivalent of a demolition man beating his head against a brick wall in order to bring it down. These dreaming techniques take a sledgehammer to that same wall.

deacsoft
01-21-2005, 11:01 AM
I've never been able to see any words, and I have actually tried.

A_C_Slater
01-21-2005, 11:04 AM
I have seen actual words before, but usually they are distorted and backwards.

jakethebake
01-21-2005, 11:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Does anybody know if it's true that you can't read in your dreams? I've never noticed.

[/ QUOTE ]
I never thought to try. Tonite I will.