PDA

View Full Version : NL fundamentals

malokoman
01-20-2005, 05:04 PM
Hello all, long time reader first time poster. In the past i've been strictly a limit player. Lately i've been studying different games ( O8, stud hl) and would like to learn more about NL with regards to fundamentals. I've already learned a great deal by just reading archives but so far have been unsuccessful in finding posts on suggestions of books that may be of help. Are there any principle books out there such as TOP and HEFAP aimed at NL? From what i've heard many books out there on NL are bogus, so I would like to avoid them. Thanks everyone in advance as I look forward to posting more and improving my game through this great site.

MonkeeMan
01-20-2005, 05:12 PM
"Super System" by Doyle Brunson and "Pot-Limit and No-Limit Poker" by Bob Ciaffone and Stewart Reuben.

amoeba
01-20-2005, 05:16 PM
I don't like supersystems for somebody just beginning NL.

malokoman
01-20-2005, 05:22 PM
Thanks for the responses guys. I think of myself as a pretty solid limit player, but when trying to play NL my game definitely breaks down. Hopefully these books will set me straight.
Regards

finnhand
01-20-2005, 06:18 PM
First read Theory of Poker. 2nd SSHE (it actually helped my small buyin NL play alot because there is great discussion about the starting hands and how each play). Then PL&NL by Reuben&Ciaffone. Super System is a great book to get some idea about the proper aggression etc.
In NL game you have to understand the importance of starters,position,aggression and players against you. And that's just the square 1 to start playing NL but read as much as possible and get some experience about the game.

edtost
01-20-2005, 07:56 PM
SSH could be disasterous for a beginning nl player, but TOP is crucial.

finnhand
01-20-2005, 08:06 PM
yes but just like reading TOP you have to think how to adjust the advice in book to NL play

edtost
01-21-2005, 12:01 AM
i'm not about to go thumb through them, but i think that every concept in ssh that's applicable to nlhe has been touched on either in books about nl (reuben and caffione's, s/s, harrington's) or in top. and misapplying the wrong concepts from ssh could be disasterous. relative hand valuations in nl and limit are completely different.