PDA

View Full Version : Global Fish - where are they?

Scuba Chuck
01-20-2005, 04:13 PM
There was a thread over the past 24 hours that talked about where to play during the non-fish hours, in which one of the posters replied that PRIMA POKER might be a consideration as it is where a lot of Europeans play.

So it prompted a thought, where in the world to play during each part of the day? I think poker is a global phenomena, so my first thought is to think of the rich nations - where citizens may ‘gamble’. Obviously America and Western Europe. But what about Japan? Should we include China, Australia, Russia? Others? What are your thoughts?

Finally, what time of day is there likely to be the most amount of fish? This might be a cultural thing, so any input is most appreciated. At this time, I have just assumed 10PM local time to be fishy.

In the meantime, I put together some data: I am Central time…

8AM CST, where in the world are the most fish likely to be?
8AM CST = 10PM Shanghai, Singapore, Taipei, Manila, Beijing, Hong Kong, & Perth
8AM CST = 11PM Tokyo, Seoul
Are there Poker sites that are geared towards the Orient? Specifically Japan? Has anyone played them?

Noon CST, where in the world are the most fish likely to be?
Noon CST = 9PM Moscow, Baghdad
Might be SOL here. Any ideas?

Early Afternoon, where in the world are the most fish likely to be?
4PM CST = 10PM London
3PM CST = 10PM Madrid, Barcelona, Paris, Amsterdam, Zurich, etc.

Late evening, where in the world are the most fish likely to be?
10PM CST = 11PM East Coast!

2+2 is visited by global members. I am very interested to hear of poker sites from Western Europe that are credible. Also, what are the fishy times there?
Are there credible poker sites geared towards Japan? What are the fishy times there?

Anyone?

hurlyburly
01-20-2005, 04:44 PM
I don't know if this helps, but I found that by changing my "gap" requirements for the west coast primetime vs the east coast time (opening with bigger raises, being more aggressive with marginals, slowplaying more often) I was seeing less variance.

I play at Stars exclusively, and use listed locations to determine the composition changes, and that about gives me 24 hour coverage (I'm in Texas). I find that the Euros and East coasters are made up of more TAP-types than the California/Asian crowd.

Shame on people who don't honestly list where they live to keep me from making proper adjustments earlier.

eastbay
01-20-2005, 05:49 PM
Waste of time. The Americans are paying the poker bills, period.

eastbay

PrayingMantis
01-20-2005, 06:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Waste of time. The Americans are paying the poker bills, period.

eastbay

[/ QUOTE ]

This is pretty much correct. Although you can find decent action from British and Scandinavian players, on several sites during non-peak USA hours (And contrary to what some believe, one can definitely find European fish) all other countries mentioned in the OP are non-existent in term of the on-line poker industry, except, maybe, Australia & NZ, in a very small scale. Surely, I hope this will change, but it will take at least a few years, IMO.

hovemag
01-20-2005, 08:53 PM
I live in England and have been playing since November. The time difference is the biggest problem for me. Ive only played on Party so far and by far my best results are between 1am and 4am - a combination of easier tables and no wife or kids to distract me.

The drawback to that is I work full time and leave for work at 7am, which is leaving me somewhat below my best at work on the (fairly regular) occassions where I keep playing til the early hours. On the positive side I am fairly senior and have nobody superior at my building allowing me to lock my door hold all calls and have a couple of hours sleep before logging on 2+2 and at least pretending to work.

I would love to hear of any sites that were more suitable to me getting a decent nights sleep.

AA suited
01-20-2005, 09:58 PM
on a typical american weekday, there are 40k players on party at 3pm EST

so that means at 3pm EST, there must be players from
britain/europe since it's 9pm-11pm over there???

Scuba Chuck
01-21-2005, 12:19 PM
Praying Mantis and Eastbay, thanks for thoughts. It was what I had expected. I just don't have any facts. And, of course, I can always "hope."

Hovemag, being from England, do you have other pals who play online? Is Party Poker the place to play from Europeans? What about the Eurobet skin? Or, the Prima Poker site?

Guess I should just let this go. humph

Michael C.
01-21-2005, 12:45 PM
I am an American living in Japan. NO ONE hear plays poker at all. Horse racing, pachinko and majang are all popular, but not poker.

skipperbob
01-21-2005, 02:36 PM
I want a job like yours /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

hovemag
01-21-2005, 05:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Hovemag, being from England, do you have other pals who play online? Is Party Poker the place to play from Europeans? What about the Eurobet skin? Or, the Prima Poker site?

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont know anybody else who plays at all. Poker is still very much a minority activity over here. Having said that I think there is a strong possibility that poker is about to explode into the mainstream. One of the reasons I started trying to learn about poker was the realisation that there was about to be a load of people starting to play and there was a fantastic opportunity to be ahead of the game. Then I found these forums and I have been studying and playing obsessively ever since

The growth of TV coverage over the last year has been astonishing(sadly no TILT /images/graemlins/frown.gif) and Ive read that B&M tournaments are getting double or triple the entries compared to last year. There is actually a week long poker "festival" starting Monday here in Brighton where I live. I have never played live but on Tuesday Im having a bash at a$100 one table satellite for the £1000 buy-in main event next weekend

So theres a good chance that we might see a wave of new players from the UK and hopefully Im far enough ahead of the wave to profit.

Scuba Chuck
01-21-2005, 06:05 PM
Well, if you do any homework on this, would very much appreciate a report. In some of the recent poker books, there is much talk about this becoming a global trend.

It would be great for us Americans if the Europeans caught on. Would love to play their sites during the day.

There must be more European players who read 2+2???

Big Limpin'
01-21-2005, 07:56 PM
Rumor mill says:

There are plans in the works for a Europe vs US Ryder Cup of Poker (the "RCOP")

you heard it here first

Bataglin
01-21-2005, 08:05 PM
Do not enter the water when the shark warning flag and red flag are hoisted.

Even when no shark warning flag is hoisted, please observe the following advice:

-Do not swim alone.

-Do not swim at dawn, at dusk or at night.

-Do not swim if you are bleeding or have any open wound.

-If schooling fish start to behave erratically or start to congregate in unusually large numbers, leave the water.

-If a large fish is sighted in the area, leave the water as quickly and calmly as possible.

-In case of emergency, please follow the instruction of the lifeguards.

-Swim within the red boomline of the beach and keep away from the shark prevention nets.

-In case of sighting of shark or shark-like object, please dial 999 immediately.