PDA

View Full Version : Read several books, looking for something dealing more in variance

comstock
01-20-2005, 03:27 PM
Read several books, looking for something dealing more in variance as it pertains to poker, possibly general theory about short (and long) term ups and downs, bad beats etc. Possibly even a little psychology on the side.

Finishing up SSHE and ready to start a new book. Can someone recommend one with the above topics.

EarlCat
01-20-2005, 04:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Read several books, looking for something dealing more in variance as it pertains to poker, possibly general theory about short (and long) term ups and downs, bad beats etc. Possibly even a little psychology on the side.

Finishing up SSHE and ready to start a new book. Can someone recommend one with the above topics.

[/ QUOTE ]

This one might help. I haven't read it yet, but I stumbled across it the other day on Amazon. It's called Inside the Poker Mind: Essays on Hold 'Em and General Poker Concepts. The guy that wrote it is a psychologist turned poker pro. Sounds interesting...

Here's a link:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/redirect?tag=opinionnation-20&path=tg%2Fdetail%2F-%2F1880685264%2Fqid%3D1106251555%2Fsr%3D8-1%2Fref%3Dpd_csp_1%3Fv%3Dglance%26s%3Dbooks%26n%3D 507846

Paul2432
01-20-2005, 06:27 PM
It's called Inside the Poker Mind: Essays on Hold 'Em and General Poker Concepts.

That book is published by 2+2. Just click on the books link to the left for more info. I have read the book and found it quite good. The section on the "professional attitude" gives some good advice for coping with swings.

For more on the mathematics of variance I would suggest Gambling Theory and Other Topics by Mason Malmuth.

Paul

pyroboy2424
01-20-2005, 06:38 PM
I reccomend the Tao of Poker : 285 rules to transform your game and your life by Larry W. Phillips....great book