PDA

View Full Version : Eye Contact

Schneids
01-20-2005, 02:57 PM
In say a class of 25, how many times during an hour is it 'normal' to make eye contact with someone on the other side of the room?

mmbt0ne
01-20-2005, 03:00 PM
Before or after you've passed them a note?

citanul
0, you should either be not attending, or asleep.

Going to need specifics here, of course:

Is the other person cute?
Are you?
How long is the class?
What formation do you sit in?

citanul

jakethebake
Don't worry about it unless he winks at you.

bosoxfan
01-20-2005, 03:03 PM
Start wearing sunglasses to class.

Sponger15SB
01-20-2005, 03:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
In say a class of 25, how many times during an hour is it 'normal' to make eye contact with someone on the other side of the room?

[/ QUOTE ]

If he mad dawgs you again pull our your piece and shoot him, or ask him out on a date.

Edge34
[ QUOTE ]
Don't worry about it unless he winks at you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dammit, you beat me to it...

stabn
If you are just bored and looking around i'd say two times per class.

Schneids
01-20-2005, 03:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
0, you should either be not attending, or asleep.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm in a class that docks heavily for absences.

[ QUOTE ]
Is the other person cute?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah she's def. cute.

[ QUOTE ]
Are you?

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not Brad Pitt and I'm not John Kruk.

[ QUOTE ]
How long is the class?

[/ QUOTE ]
50 minutes.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

<font class="small">Code:</font><hr /><pre>
X X X X X X X X
X X X X X G X X
X X X X X X X X
X M X X X X X X

X = desks
M = Me
G = Girl
</pre><hr />

lucas9000
01-20-2005, 03:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

<font class="small">Code:</font><hr /><pre>
X X X X X X X X
X X X X X G X X
X X X X X X X X
X M X X X X X X

X = desks
M = Me
G = Girl
</pre><hr />

[/ QUOTE ]

what direction are you facing (ie, where is the blackboard in that setup)?

Schneids
01-20-2005, 03:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm definitely in the back of the room.

Patrick del Poker Grande
01-20-2005, 03:10 PM
She's turning around and looking at you? Hit it.

citanul
01-20-2005, 03:12 PM
I left out one other question, which is vital, I guess:

How often do you talk in class? Because if you talk often, people probably turn around and look at you when you do.

However, with the factors you've given, you should not be making eye contact more than about .5 times per class, if there is no interest going on. Any more than about that, even if you are talking a lot in class, and she's turning around to look at you, you're clearly choosing to make eye contact with her while you speak.

So I'd put the average number of times a person in the back row makes eye contact with someone not in the front row at about .5 x per 50 minute class. If more is happening, it means at minimum that you're checking her out. At "maximum" she's checking you out too.

citanul

and man, things in this forum get responses fast.

lucas9000
01-20-2005, 03:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

so you're behind her, and she has to turn around to make eye contact with you? if that's the case and you're making eye contact more than once per class, or even if it's only once but it's every day, you need to get moving and step to her.

jakethebake
01-20-2005, 03:13 PM
The first eye contact was an accident, but she caught you looking at her. Now she's turning around to see if the weirdo is still staring. Everytime you make eye contact now she thinks you're a bigger weirdo. A restraining order is already being processed.

sfer
01-20-2005, 03:14 PM
&lt;Insert GoT/The Dude joke here&gt;

BusterStacks
01-20-2005, 03:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]

so you're behind her, and she has to turn around to make eye contact with you? if that's the case and you're making eye contact more than once per class, or even if it's only once but it's every day, you need to get moving and step to her.

[/ QUOTE ]

citanul
01-20-2005, 03:20 PM
I've got to state again that I hate this trend. Even though I know there's another thread about it, and I don't want ot hijack this thread. Couldn't you at least type "agreed." wtf.

citanul

AngryCola
01-20-2005, 03:21 PM
As others have said, you should be making your move.

This kind of eye contact is usually very telling.

lucas9000
01-20-2005, 03:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've got to state again that I hate this trend. Even though I know there's another thread about it, and I don't want ot hijack this thread. Couldn't you at least type "agreed." wtf.

citanul

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah but why waste time with a post that's just a quote and an "agreed?" by simply quoting (when everyone knows what that means), you're accomplishing the same thing as quoting and adding a token response.

jakethebake
01-20-2005, 03:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
yeah but why waste time with a post that's just a quote and an "agreed?" by simply quoting (when everyone knows what that means), you're accomplishing the same thing as quoting and adding a token response.

[/ QUOTE ]

pokerjo22
In either case its a waste of bandwidth. There are small children in Africa starving to death because of Buster's inconsiderate wastage of bandwidth.

BusterStacks
Dude, I am a Pooh-Bah and you are a lowly peasant. Know your role and shut your hole.

Peace

John Nickle

Schneids
01-20-2005, 03:24 PM
Pokerjo just out of curiousity were you at the bellagio at all between Jan 2-6? There was a girl playing $200 buy in NL that looked an awful lot like the girl in your avatar.

jakethebake
01-20-2005, 03:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Pokerjo just out of curiousity were you at the bellagio at all between Jan 2-6? There was a girl playing $200 buy in NL that looked an awful lot like the girl in your avatar.

[/ QUOTE ]
But did she make eye contact with you?

mmbt0ne
01-20-2005, 03:27 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Don't pull a TSC

bosoxfan
01-20-2005, 03:28 PM
What happens after eye contact? Does she smile or avert her eyes quickly?

pokerjo22
01-20-2005, 03:29 PM
Not me - I was in London then. And I don't play NL. Ever.

ThaSaltCracka
01-20-2005, 03:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Dude, I am a Pooh-Bah and you are a lowly peasant. Know your role and shut your hole.

Peace

John Nickle

[/ QUOTE ]
citanul=pwned

ThaSaltCracka
01-20-2005, 03:30 PM
so she is turning back to look at you?

this is a silly scenario, go pimp dat shi[/b]t.

nolanfan34
01-20-2005, 03:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I will agree with this. This is important information, knowing that she has to make the effort to turn around and look at you.

Do you know her at all outside of class? Cause if you've never met, then you have a lot of easy ins with her being in the same class and all. Hope that you get on the same group project or something.

Michael Davis
01-20-2005, 03:32 PM
If you're asking this question you should have either already asked or her out or teased her for a bit and left her wondering why you haven't asked her out yet. The semester is young and if you meet with any frequency she won't forget you so you can drag out for a couple of weeks as long as you keep your wit sharp.

-Michael

CrazyEyez
01-20-2005, 03:48 PM
I think this post is a new, more covert version of the "Should I go bang this chick or stay home and play with myself?" post, designed to make people feel inferior if chicks don't ogle them in class.

B00T
01-20-2005, 03:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The first eye contact was an accident, but she caught you looking at her. Now she's turning around to see if the weirdo is still staring. Everytime you make eye contact now she thinks you're a bigger weirdo. A restraining order is already being processed.

[/ QUOTE ]

No way dude.

If she turns around everyone in the back of the room will be looking at her because it nabs their attention. If she is only looking at you its a good thing. She draws the attention first by the motion of turning around. She wont be looking behind her just to see if you are looking because its just a natural reaction that you will see out of the corner of your eye even if you are not looking at her but still looking up at the vicinity of your professor.

A_C_Slater
01-20-2005, 04:02 PM
Get some sunglasses. You can stare at her all you want then. You will also find out for sure if she really is looking at you and not just looking to see if the pervert is looking at her. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

sublime
01-20-2005, 04:09 PM
tell her to stop eye fcking you or you will punch her in the twat

kerssens
01-20-2005, 04:13 PM
is there a clock above you that she looks at and happens to glance at you on the way back?...a window??

A_C_Slater
01-20-2005, 04:15 PM
Is there an uber-hot European dude with a sexy accent that sits directly behind you? If so, she's probably really looking at him and you've been mistaken. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

BradleyT
01-20-2005, 04:18 PM
She knows you've got a big <font color="white">roll </font>

AngryCola
01-20-2005, 04:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think this post is a new, more covert version of the "Should I go bang this chick or stay home and play with myself?" post, designed to make people feel inferior if chicks don't ogle them in class.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or...

Maybe you are just being paranoid. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

You could be right though.

jakethebake
01-20-2005, 04:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
an uber-hot European dude

[/ QUOTE ]

What like Fabio or something? I don't think there's really such a thing as an uber-hot European dude.

J.A.Sucker
01-20-2005, 04:23 PM
Just ask her out, you puss. You'd be amazed how well this actually works.

Bluffoon
01-20-2005, 04:25 PM
Anything more than a couple and you are going to start to look a little wierd. You have signalled your interest and she (I am assuming) has reciprocated. Mission complete. At the first opportunity approach and hit her up or you start to lose confidence points.

AngryCola
01-20-2005, 04:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Cleary the best advice on this thread. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Nice.

Patrick del Poker Grande
01-20-2005, 04:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Just ask her out, you puss. You'd be amazed how well this actually works.

[/ QUOTE ]
No [censored].

Rick Diesel
01-20-2005, 04:30 PM
I would definitely approach quickly, and use something along the lines of:

"I noticed you staring me down like a piece of meat in class the other day, and it made me feel very uncomfortable. You know that I have feelings, don't you?"

cnfuzzd
01-20-2005, 04:32 PM
what, are you fifteen? Jesus man, if you have the balls to steal/defend a BB with 83o, i think you can ask some chick to dinner and some f[/i]ucking. kids now days.

peace

john nickle

cnfuzzd
01-20-2005, 04:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Peace

John Nickle

[/ QUOTE ]

GODDAMN IT YOU [censored] [censored] OF COURSE YOU CAUGHT YOUR [censored] TWO PAIR ON THE RIVER YOU DUMB [censored] I HATE YOU ALL WHY THE [censored] NOT BET INTO MY ROYAL [censored] FLUSH YOU PAYED FOR MY WHORE LAST NIGHT I CAN AFFORD TO GIVE YOU THREE MORE [censored] DOLLARS I [censored] HATE YOU [censored] [censored] [censored] [censored] [censored] [censored] [censored] [censored] [censored] [censored] [censored] [censored] [censored] [censored] [censored] [censored] [censored] [censored] [censored] [censored] [censored] [censored] [censored] [censored] [censored] [censored] [censored] [censored] [censored] [censored] [censored] [censored] [censored] [censored] [censored] [censored] [censored] [censored] [censored] [censored]

Busterstacks.

cnfuzzd
01-20-2005, 04:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

end of thread.

peace

john nickle

Shajen
01-20-2005, 04:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, you made Diet Coke burn the [censored] out of my nose.

[censored].

This is clearly the post of the month.

AngryCola
01-20-2005, 04:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
what, are you fifteen?

[/ QUOTE ]

I kind of had this feeling too.

The whole 'eye contact/body language/knowing when there's an attraction' thing should be second nature by the time you're in your twenties (if not earlier).

Schneids
01-20-2005, 05:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
what, are you fifteen?

[/ QUOTE ]

I kind of had this feeling too.

The whole 'eye contact/body language/knowing when there's an attraction' thing should be second nature by the time you're in your twenties (if not earlier).

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never denied the fact that I'm a puss or the fact that I have the maturity level of a 15 year-old. Oddly enough though, there are many girls that find this 'cute' and even though it doesn't work in all circumstances it does alright. I'm not making excuses and I know I should work on going for more non-sure things (ie a friend getting info).

cnfuzzd
01-20-2005, 05:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I've never denied the fact that I'm a puss or the fact that I have the maturity level of a 15 year-old. Oddly enough though, there are many girls that find this 'cute' and even though it doesn't work in all circumstances it does alright. I'm not making excuses and I know I should work on going for more non-sure things (ie a friend getting info).

[/ QUOTE ]

you know what you shouldnt work on? Polling an internet forum composed of 99.9% of immature young males who spend most of their day either trying to swindle money out of people or staring at digital images of women whom they will never come close to. schnieds, you seem like s decent fellow, and youve got some money. youre even in school. and, from what el diablo tells me, youve got a huge schlong. what more could any young co-ed ask for?

peace

john nickle

fnord_too
01-20-2005, 05:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you know what you shouldnt work on? Polling an internet forum composed of 99.9% of immature young males who spend most of their day either trying to swindle money out of people or staring at digital images of women whom they will never come close to. schnieds, you seem like s decent fellow, and youve got some money. youre even in school. and, from what el diablo tells me, youve got a huge schlong. what more could any young co-ed ask for?

peace

john nickle

[/ QUOTE ]

easily POTD.

Bluffoon
01-20-2005, 05:07 PM
Rejection is your friend. You have to embrace rejection. I don't care if a thousand women reject me as long as the one thousand and first says yes.

AngryCola
01-20-2005, 05:08 PM
"easily POTD"

Negative.

You must have missed Sublime's post on this very thread.

Link (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&amp;Number=1575026&amp;page=0&amp;view=c ollapsed&amp;sb=5&amp;o=14&amp;vc=1)

fnord_too
01-20-2005, 05:10 PM
That was good, too, but I like cnfzzd's better.

tripdad
01-20-2005, 05:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

we have a winner. and it's not even close. do you see why?

cheers!

jakethebake
01-20-2005, 05:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

we have a winner. and it's not even close. do you see why?

cheers!

[/ QUOTE ]
Obviously he doesn't see why since he posted this here to begin with.

tripdad
01-20-2005, 05:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
She knows you've got a big <font color="white">roll </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

i was sure this would say "pocket pair". highly disappointing.

cheers!

Patrick del Poker Grande
01-20-2005, 05:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
(ie a friend getting info)

[/ QUOTE ]
This took you from 15 years old to about 12.

jakethebake
01-20-2005, 05:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
(ie a friend getting info)

[/ QUOTE ]
This took you from 15 years old to about 12.

[/ QUOTE ]
Pull her pigtails on the playground. That always worked for me.

AngryCola
01-20-2005, 05:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
ull her pigtails on the playground. That always worked for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hell... that still works for me.

It's all a matter of targeting the right age group.

Ulysses
01-20-2005, 07:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
and, from what el diablo tells me, youve got a huge schlong. what more could any young co-ed ask for?

[/ QUOTE ]

Please don't distort the truth. I didn't say it was huge. I just said it was way bigger than yours.

cnfuzzd
01-20-2005, 07:33 PM
true, but that would still make it huge.

peace

john nickle

BottlesOf
01-20-2005, 07:42 PM
Agreed. Sublime's was great. But nickle, just killed it.

wacki
01-20-2005, 07:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Agreed. Sublime's was great. But nickle, just killed it.

[/ QUOTE ]
ditto

good post nickle.

razor
01-20-2005, 08:16 PM
agree

Scotch78
01-21-2005, 09:39 AM
Analogy time . . . you raise UTG with 22 and get reraised. It's heads-up on the flop and you check-call the flop and turn with your underpair, then bet out on the river (you know the hand I'm talking about).

You've both shown some 'aggression' by making eye contact with each other, but hers is stronger (she's the one turning around). You do not seem comfortable retaking the initiative yet, so it becomes a question of how best to induce another 'bet' from her, i.e. appear weak. I recommend not making any eye contact for a class. If possible, choose a day when she looks particularly nice, especially if it looks like she put in extra effort (more make-up, curled her hair, etc.). Do not 'avoid' her though, simply keep your attention on something else (i.e. take a lot of notes). Sitting several seats directly behind her could also work. Next you need to provide an opportunity for her to 'bet', or talk to you. It's important that this opportunity appear accidental in order to continue the show of weakness. As a simple example, get to class early tomorrow and find out which door she walks into the building at. If you smoke, stand outside that door and have a cigarette before class (the day after the no eye contact class). If you don't smoke, figure something else out, you're a smart guy. If she does not at least say "hi", give it up, that's obvious. If she starts a conversation, you're golden, and that's obvious too. The difficulty is if she says hello, but keeps walking inside. If she slows down to talk, like rolling through a stop sign, then you're probably okay. It will be unclear if she says hi while opening the door, so don't stand close enough to the entrance for her to do this. Equate everything up to this point with the flop. Your first conversation will be the turn. During that conversation you will want to control the eye contact, and that's a very subtle thing that requires experience, so here's a simplified "system" for you. Look for a difference in her eye contact between when she's talking and when she's listening (i.e. she looks you in the eye and listens intensely when you talk, but sporadically breaks eye contact when she's talking). If you notice a difference, you will either want to mimic her pattern or invert it. There's no easy, certain way to tell which will work better, but the more aggressive/interested she seems, the more I would lean towards frustrating her pattern of eye contact. As to the actual conversation, this is also a matter of experience. If you have it, great. If you don't, here's the system: don't be like everyone else. Do not ask her major, what year she is, what she thinks of the class, etc. For example, my best friend likes to ask a girl about her siblings/family. Think of several options beforehand and give each a try until one clicks. Then, be the one to end the conversation. Do not ask her what she's doing this weekend or say anything resembling an invitation; this is still fourth street. During that class, take a lot of notes again, but let yourself accidentally make eye contact with her once. If she attempts to make eye contact with you more than usual, then wait until the second class from then to talk to her again. If she doesn't attempt increased eye contact, be outside that door again the next class period. That second conversation will be the river. In the middle of the conversation, ask her out. And if this all works, I think you should owe me some short-handed lessons /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Scott

jakethebake
01-21-2005, 10:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Analogy time . . . you raise UTG with 22 and get reraised. It's heads-up on the flop and you check-call the flop and turn with your underpair, then bet out on the river (you know the hand I'm talking about).

You've both shown some 'aggression' by making eye contact with each other, but hers is stronger (she's the one turning around). You do not seem comfortable retaking the initiative yet, so it becomes a question of how best to induce another 'bet' from her, i.e. appear weak. I recommend not making any eye contact for a class. If possible, choose a day when she looks particularly nice, especially if it looks like she put in extra effort (more make-up, curled her hair, etc.). Do not 'avoid' her though, simply keep your attention on something else (i.e. take a lot of notes). Sitting several seats directly behind her could also work. Next you need to provide an opportunity for her to 'bet', or talk to you. It's important that this opportunity appear accidental in order to continue the show of weakness. As a simple example, get to class early tomorrow and find out which door she walks into the building at. If you smoke, stand outside that door and have a cigarette before class (the day after the no eye contact class). If you don't smoke, figure something else out, you're a smart guy. If she does not at least say "hi", give it up, that's obvious. If she starts a conversation, you're golden, and that's obvious too. The difficulty is if she says hello, but keeps walking inside. If she slows down to talk, like rolling through a stop sign, then you're probably okay. It will be unclear if she says hi while opening the door, so don't stand close enough to the entrance for her to do this. Equate everything up to this point with the flop. Your first conversation will be the turn. During that conversation you will want to control the eye contact, and that's a very subtle thing that requires experience, so here's a simplified "system" for you. Look for a difference in her eye contact between when she's talking and when she's listening (i.e. she looks you in the eye and listens intensely when you talk, but sporadically breaks eye contact when she's talking). If you notice a difference, you will either want to mimic her pattern or invert it. There's no easy, certain way to tell which will work better, but the more aggressive/interested she seems, the more I would lean towards frustrating her pattern of eye contact. As to the actual conversation, this is also a matter of experience. If you have it, great. If you don't, here's the system: don't be like everyone else. Do not ask her major, what year she is, what she thinks of the class, etc. For example, my best friend likes to ask a girl about her siblings/family. Think of several options beforehand and give each a try until one clicks. Then, be the one to end the conversation. Do not ask her what she's doing this weekend or say anything resembling an invitation; this is still fourth street. During that class, take a lot of notes again, but let yourself accidentally make eye contact with her once. If she attempts to make eye contact with you more than usual, then wait until the second class from then to talk to her again. If she doesn't attempt increased eye contact, be outside that door again the next class period. That second conversation will be the river. In the middle of the conversation, ask her out. And if this all works, I think you should owe me some short-handed lessons /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Scott

[/ QUOTE ]

A 33-line paragraph. well done, jackass.

Bluffoon
01-21-2005, 10:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Scott

[/ QUOTE ]

Or you could just walk up to her the next time you see her and ask her to go out with you for a cup of coffee.

Scotch78
01-21-2005, 10:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Or you could just walk up to her the next time you see her and ask her to go out with you for a cup of coffee.

[/ QUOTE ]

But that wouldn't be as much fun. This is an OOT post after all.

Scott

Bluffoon
01-21-2005, 10:55 AM
Yes but by the time I got done reading that paragraph she was married with kids. You have to move fast. It shows you are interested. It also shows you have confidence. (just fake it) And if you are not moving in someone else will.

lucas9000
01-21-2005, 11:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Yes but by the time I got done reading that paragraph she was married with kids. You have to move fast. It shows you are interested. It also shows you have confidence. (just fake it) And if you are not moving in someone else will.

[/ QUOTE ]

01-21-2005, 11:43 AM
Ewwwww steamy and saucy with mystery and intrigue. You are an animal.....purrrrrrrrr.

Fabian
01-21-2005, 12:06 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">Svar till:</font><hr />

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the exact thing that happened to me and this girl I was taking a class with last year. If she wasn't interested, but what are the odds? Damn she was cute though..

schwza
01-21-2005, 12:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It also shows you have confidence. (just fake it)

[/ QUOTE ]

best advice i've seen in a while.

citanul
01-24-2005, 12:26 AM
I expect a "results" follow up after the next class.

citanul

theBruiser500
01-24-2005, 01:07 AM
yeah me 2

Cyrus
01-24-2005, 03:19 AM
4 to 6 times is normal.

But for a person who'll make eye contact and then rush to an internet website (about poker!) to ask others about said eye contact, I'd say 25 times of eye contact would be needed before that person initiates real contact.

bugstud
01-24-2005, 03:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Ewwwww steamy and saucy with mystery and intrigue. You are an animal.....purrrrrrrrr.

[/ QUOTE ]

How does this guy show up at anonymous anyway?

nothumb
01-24-2005, 03:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Please don't distort the truth. I didn't say it was huge. I just said it was way bigger than yours.

[/ QUOTE ]

pwnage, as the kids are saying these days.

Dude, keep in mind the possibility that she is either a tease or bored, and is making eye contact with someone in whom she has some mild interest, or from whom she has detected interest. People do this all the time.

However, even if this is the case, you should ask her out, and if she says no, you can use sublime's response at that time.
/images/graemlins/grin.gif
NT

DangerGoodson
01-24-2005, 03:53 AM
sack up schneids, you fish.