PDA

View Full Version : The Matador

miracle7s
01-20-2005, 09:16 AM
Anyone else seen the frequency of people going on tilt with 6-4 since the matador used it. Then made his damn speal about the dueces. I've been busted by it once and thought it humourous that a guy called a big raise before the the flop with 6-4 but anyhow. Just Wondering and Tilt sucks

goldseraph
01-20-2005, 12:14 PM
No havent seen that...

jack spade23
01-20-2005, 12:23 PM
Look, as entertainment "Tilt" is an ok show. It takes up some time in my day. As a poker guide it is absolutely awful. Therefore you know that players who will raise with 6 /images/graemlins/spade.gif4 /images/graemlins/spade.gif are awful players. Be thankful that you will be payed off generously when they do not hit a straight, flush, or pair and you make them fold. Also, did anyone notice the fact that the newguy reraised with pocket 2's after a raise and in middle position? Did ESPN think that this was great poker?(p.s:, after you bust the guy, say "next case! just to be a dick) /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Marcotte
01-20-2005, 12:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Look, as entertainment "Tilt" is an ok show.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know if I'd go that far. I watched parts of the first episode, and will probably watch it again tonight, but so far I haven't seen anything that I like. At least the new season of 24 is on, even if it has lost a step since last year. Now if I can just convince HBO to make another season of Deadwood, then I'll have enough to feed the TV monkey on my back.

GimmeDaWatch
01-20-2005, 12:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Look, as entertainment "Tilt" is an ok show. It takes up some time in my day. As a poker guide it is absolutely awful. Therefore you know that players who will raise with 6 /images/graemlins/spade.gif4 /images/graemlins/spade.gif are awful players. Be thankful that you will be payed off generously when they do not hit a straight, flush, or pair and you make them fold. Also, did anyone notice the fact that the newguy reraised with pocket 2's after a raise and in middle position? Did ESPN think that this was great poker?(p.s:, after you bust the guy, say "next case! just to be a dick) /images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Tilt is terrible, wonderfully terrible in all respects, and I promise you that I will watch every single episode. Daniel Negreanu raises with hands like 64s all the time (he has alot of good articles at fullcontactpoker btw), so face.
Ummmmm, I dont forsee any epidemic of raising with this hand in the future just b/c a couple dudes sucked out on you with that hand, although I will concede a slight personal weakness for T2s.

jojobinks
01-20-2005, 12:40 PM
it's funny, b/c the show is goddawful, from a dramatic and a poker point of view.

1) if you didn't know poker well, the poker might be hard to understand. for example, they only show the board very quickly, and mike sexton isn't there to explain the hands to you. so if you don't know poker well, the show might not be for you.

but...

2) if you understand poker, you know that the plays they make are ludicrous. the only quality hand someone played last week were the QQ that the black dude played to make the boat against chumpo at the satellite. they play cheese to start, and play even worse after the flop. so if you understand poker, you hate the show too.

i'll keep watching it, b/c i'm addicted to poker, and it feeds a certain need i have. but i'm not sure who it's actually for, or if anyone really "likes" it.

Laughingboy
01-20-2005, 01:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Now if I can just convince HBO to make another season of Deadwood, then I'll have enough to feed the TV monkey on my back.

[/ QUOTE ]

New season in March. I'm counting the days. Also waiting eagerly for the dvd release. Best damn show ever.

Geoff
01-20-2005, 01:37 PM
Ditto on 'Deadwood'. I will make time for 'Tilt' as well but they need to hire a poker playing 'Advisor' to set the hands up more credibly.

wulfheir
01-20-2005, 02:06 PM
I read somewhere that seidel and hellmuth were consulted for Tilt. Trying to find where I read it now.

ColdestCall
01-20-2005, 02:14 PM
I am almost positive Seidel is involved. Dont know about Hellmuth....

This show is an absolute train wreck - how can you take your eyes off it??!! It is so bad that it completes the circle and comes all the way back around to good, maybe even great. It's absurd awfulness will rank it up there with such classics as Gigli....

I mean, where else can you watch two guys walk into a poker room, see two other guys pull pistols on each other within 30 seconds (a priceless moment in and of itself), and then be like "Hey, ok. You guys playin cards? Deal me in. My name's (whatever)"

Classic.

citanul
01-20-2005, 02:21 PM
Guys, please move talk about the damn TV show to any other forum.

citanul

Prior22
01-20-2005, 02:30 PM
I was playing on Monday and had 64 suited, chuckled to myself thinking of Tilt and promptly flicked the cards to the dealer. I was waiting for somebody to use the "I don't have to look at my cards, I saw the look on your face when you looked at yours" line.

jack spade23
01-20-2005, 03:02 PM
In case I didn't make sense, i think its an ok show because of the fact that as a poker player it makes me laugh.

two_dogs
01-20-2005, 03:02 PM
hmmmmm. With all the exposure to the WSOP you would think ESPN would maybe try to be a little more realistic. I wonder if the show has any tech advisors and if so is the show just a scheme to get more fish in the pool?

Anyway I haven't watched the show the commercials advertising it were enough to scare me away.
peace