PDA

View Full Version : Limits for a micro buy-in home game

canis582
01-20-2005, 09:08 AM
Some of my friends who are poker novices want to play this weekend with $5 buy-ins. I am going to suggest that we play limit because its easier. i am thinking .10/.20 perhaps. What is a good number of Big Bets for a buy in? I guess that is only 25 big bets. maybe .05/.1 would be better.

StevieG
01-20-2005, 10:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Some of my friends who are poker novices want to play this weekend with $5 buy-ins. I am going to suggest that we play limit because its easier.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fixed limit will definitely make it easier.

If they are not opposed to rebuys, make the stakes on the higher end. If they just want to have one buy-in and make it last, use lower limits.

You may also want to make sure you have change for cashouts, or make the suggestion that "odd chips" combine at end and you draw high card for the remaining cash.

SCfuji
01-20-2005, 11:52 AM
use .1/.2 so you can have nickel/dime blinds

-fuji

Holden97
01-20-2005, 12:09 PM
Your new-to-poker friends might enjoy some sort of spread-limit game ... maybe model it after Excalibur's baby spread-limit game. The betting is 1-3 chips with a single blind of 1. You could go with chip values of .10 and apply that structure.

elwoodblues
01-20-2005, 12:09 PM
One thing that I've found is playing tournament style generally makes people try to play better than just playing a cash game for micro limits. I would consider playing a series of short $5 buy-in no-limit tourneys.

canis582
01-20-2005, 12:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
One thing that I've found is playing tournament style generally makes people try to play better than just playing a cash game for micro limits. I would consider playing a series of short $5 buy-in no-limit tourneys.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have tried that before...everybody will end up watching except for the two who know what they are doing.

Fins
01-20-2005, 02:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Some of my friends who are poker novices want to play this weekend with $5 buy-ins. I am going to suggest that we play limit because its easier. i am thinking .10/.20 perhaps. What is a good number of Big Bets for a buy in? I guess that is only 25 big bets. maybe .05/.1 would be better.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think the 10¢/20¢ (that's 5¢ for SB) is good and just have rebuys. If $5 is the max acceptable loss than maybe don't run a blinds structure, run dealer ante 15¢ and use 5¢/10¢... or have a 2¢ or 3¢ SB... I think 25-50BB's are typical buy-ins... some NL games maybe 50-100BB's.

- Fins

wingsfan
01-20-2005, 03:52 PM
My not so enthusiastic friends often play $0.10/$0.20 blinds (which I suppose would make your limits 0.20-0.40) with a $5 buy in and unlimited rebuys and everybody seems to really enjoy themselves without giving themselves ulcers about the money they're losing. It certainly works for us, so I think it's worth a shot.