PDA

View Full Version : How to beat the $5 + $1 Party SNGs

Irieguy
01-20-2005, 04:07 AM
So, I settle down into my "imcastleman memorial" $5 SNG seat to blow off some steam after an 0 for 8 session, and I start reviewing my strategy in my head:

"push every hand."

No problem. First hand 5-2off, I push and win the blinds. Next hand 4-9, push and win the blinds. Next hand pocket Queens (cool), push and I get two callers: A-4 and K-9. Wow, nice call dudes. I tripled up and suddenly I got an idea... I only had to open-push twice before these monkeys decided it was party time and any big card would do.

OK, new strategy: Wait for a top... I don't know... 25% hand and push then. Next hand I fold and the guy next to me pushes and gets called in two places. The hands are: 2-2, 3-3, and K-Js. It was as if I had Ebola virus and my first push was a sneeze. Everybody caught it and their eyes started bleeding 2 minutes later. I switched to my $5 "A" game and won pretty easily. Unfortunately, not until level 4, so no record.

But I had a new plan, so I set up 8 $5 tables with the following strategy:

Open push until I double up and then switch to A-game and watch the fireworks.

Results:

9 SNGs
7 ITM (77.8%)
6 firsts
1 second
2 tenths
ROI 204%
$12.33 per tourney
$197 per hour eight-tabling(they only take 30 minutes or less)

I'm thinking about quitting my job to do this full time. I understand that 204% ROI is unsustainable, but even if I could only make half of that I'd be pulling in $100 an hour.

Plus, I find that better players are much easier to beat... so when I move up to the $11's there's a pretty good chance I could be looking at a quadruple-digit ROI.

...and I haven't even figured in rake-back yet.

Irieguy

ilya
01-20-2005, 04:11 AM
Hehehe. Oh man, I'm glad I decided to check 2+2 one last time before going to bed.

DonButtons
01-20-2005, 05:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Hehehe. Oh man, I'm glad I decided to check 2+2 one last time before going to bed.

[/ QUOTE ]

lmao, same case here!!!

Losing all
01-20-2005, 07:48 AM
While the players are much, much tougher at the 10s, the rake is cheaper. I don't see any reason you shouldn't carry an roi around 210%-215%

kamelion44
01-20-2005, 12:34 PM
Irie, this is the funniest [censored] ever. When you said you open-pushed on the 8, does this mean with "top 25% hands" or just a few times with junk, to get them juiced up?

UMTerp
01-20-2005, 12:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I could be looking at a quadruple-digit ROI.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL!!

As a side note, I never understood how more or less pissing away cash at lower buy-ins help people "blow off steam". If I did that, I'd get madder that I was losing more money. I'd much rather punch a wall or something.

KingMedicine
01-20-2005, 01:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I could be looking at a quadruple-digit ROI.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL!!

As a side note, I never understood how more or less pissing away cash at lower buy-ins help people "blow off steam". If I did that, I'd get madder that I was losing more money. I'd much rather punch a wall or something.

[/ QUOTE ]

oh, man, no. try it - youll like it. its the best thing ever. in fact, even tho im running fine right now, im gonna go do a 5sng-pushathon. there is absolutely no feeling in the world like getting berated by the $5+1 players.

pm me your party screen name and ill transfer you $6 to get you started. i promise youll be back for more before you know it.

Irieguy
01-20-2005, 01:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
there is absolutely no feeling in the world like getting berated by the $5+1 players.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, there's one thing that compares to that....

[ QUOTE ]

pm me your party screen name and ill transfer you $6 to get you started.

[/ QUOTE ]

LMFAO

Irieguy

rachelwxm
01-20-2005, 02:59 PM
Irieguy, you never seem to be short of creativity. Very nice plan. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

The only small question I have is that you all in everyhand before double up or knock out and you only knock out 2 out of 9 tourney. Good luck!

DonButtons
01-20-2005, 04:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So, I settle down into my "imcastleman memorial" $5 SNG seat to blow off some steam after an 0 for 8 session, and I start reviewing my strategy in my head:

"push every hand."

No problem. First hand 5-2off, I push and win the blinds. Next hand 4-9, push and win the blinds. Next hand pocket Queens (cool), push and I get two callers: A-4 and K-9. Wow, nice call dudes. I tripled up and suddenly I got an idea... I only had to open-push twice before these monkeys decided it was party time and any big card would do.

OK, new strategy: Wait for a top... I don't know... 25% hand and push then. Next hand I fold and the guy next to me pushes and gets called in two places. The hands are: 2-2, 3-3, and K-Js. It was as if I had Ebola virus and my first push was a sneeze. Everybody caught it and their eyes started bleeding 2 minutes later. I switched to my $5 "A" game and won pretty easily. Unfortunately, not until level 4, so no record.

But I had a new plan, so I set up 8 $5 tables with the following strategy:

Open push until I double up and then switch to A-game and watch the fireworks.

Results:

9 SNGs
7 ITM (77.8%)
6 firsts
1 second
2 tenths
ROI 204%
$12.33 per tourney
$197 per hour eight-tabling(they only take 30 minutes or less)

I'm thinking about quitting my job to do this full time. I understand that 204% ROI is unsustainable, but even if I could only make half of that I'd be pulling in $100 an hour.

Plus, I find that better players are much easier to beat... so when I move up to the $11's there's a pretty good chance I could be looking at a quadruple-digit ROI.

...and I haven't even figured in rake-back yet.

Irieguy

[/ QUOTE ]

I wonder if this will work for the $1ks, hmmm, gigabet, want to try this out /images/graemlins/wink.gif lmao

networkman
01-20-2005, 04:26 PM
Following the "Fastest SnG" theme...

I propose we get 10 people to go all in on the first hand of a SnG, I'm up for it.

sofere
01-20-2005, 04:34 PM
I'll do this only if I'm BB (that ways you can all go all-in, and i'll chicken out and come in 2nd).

But you know if you do that its almost a guarantee that the board will be the nuts and you'll have a 10-way split.

Big Limpin'
01-20-2005, 04:38 PM
Or better yet, 100% prize pool goes to high-card in the "choosing dealer" deal.

KingMedicine
01-20-2005, 04:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Following the "Fastest SnG" theme...

I propose we get 10 people to go all in on the first hand of a SnG, I'm up for it.

[/ QUOTE ]

i am so down for this. but it would be impossible - those 5+1s fill up in literally 5-10 seconds.

Rasputin
01-20-2005, 04:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was wondering about this last night. If you were in the big blind in the first hand of an SnG and you had aces and everyone went all in ahead of you, would you call or fold?

If you fold, you're virtually guaranteed to be in the money but as a distinct longshot to win it all. If you call you've got the best shot of winning it all right there.

UMTerp
01-20-2005, 04:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I was wondering about this last night. If you were in the big blind in the first hand of an SnG and you had aces and everyone went all in ahead of you, would you call or fold?

If you fold, you're virtually guaranteed to be in the money but as a distinct longshot to win it all. If you call you've got the best shot of winning it all right there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ridiculously easy fold.

Big Limpin'
01-20-2005, 04:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Wait for a top... I don't know... 25% hand and push then.
Irieguy

[/ QUOTE ]

This has me confused. In the 5+1, i get dealt suited cards just under 25 % of the time. and i cant fold a PP preflop, thats for sure. So to play like a rock and olny push with 25% of hands, how do i decide which suited cards dont make the cut? A flush is a flush.
/images/graemlins/wink.gif

KUjayhawk08
01-20-2005, 05:02 PM
When you say "open push until I double up" does that mean that you push in every hand from hand 1 on until you double up or lose? Or does it simply mean that whenever you make a raise you push in?

Irieguy
01-20-2005, 05:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
When you say "open push until I double up" does that mean that you push in every hand from hand 1 on until you double up or lose?

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, yes. It's awesome. It's the poker equivalent of the disgruntled postal employee.

Irieguy

Irieguy
01-20-2005, 05:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ridiculously easy fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

How do they payout 2nd and 3rd? It makes sense that they would combine 2nd/3rd prize money and split it 9 ways... but I find it hard to believe that Party has written that into their software.

It matters, because the most likely event is that nobody gets paid at all and you have to email PartyPoker to try and get your money back. That makes it a clear call.

Irieguy

The Yugoslavian
01-20-2005, 05:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]

How do they payout 2nd and 3rd? It makes sense that they would combine 2nd/3rd prize money and split it 9 ways...

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't they do it by position? Thus, UTG would most likely get the 2nd place prize $ and UTG+1 would get the 3rd place prize $?

[ QUOTE ]

It matters, because the most likely event is that nobody gets paid at all and you have to email PartyPoker to try and get your money back. That makes it a clear call.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does 'clear call' = easy decision or
does 'clear call = call from the BB

I suspect your post is somewhat humor somewhat wondering about the hypothetical scenario.

Yugoslav

Oh, btw, do you keep that chat off when you're 8 tabling? I was givin' you a what's up a couple of days ago but to no avail.

KenProspero
01-20-2005, 05:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
there is absolutely no feeling in the world like getting berated by the $5+1 players

[/ QUOTE ]

It's actually pretty funny, even if you're one of the other 'little people' in the game. I've seen a few all-in, athons. It seems that the person who gets the angriest throws his whole game off, and even if they manage to knock out the all-inner, Mr. Pissed Off is on permanant tilt.

Not enough data, but my guess is that by playing calmly and conservatively, the regular in that game would see an above average ROI. Also, sometimes the show alone is worth the $6 (or $5.50) price of admission.

Irieguy
01-20-2005, 06:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I suspect your post is somewhat humor somewhat wondering about the hypothetical scenario.

Oh, btw, do you keep that chat off when you're 8 tabling? I was givin' you a what's up a couple of days ago but to no avail.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm just goofing off. I don't much care about whether it's correct to fold or not. I'd call and I don't care if it's wrong because it would never happen and if it ever did I sure as hell wouldn't be getting 2nd place out of it.

As for the chat... I play 8 screens on a single monitor, so all of my chat boxes are covered. I rarely see any of it, so I wasn't ignoring you on purpose. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Irieguy

Skip Brutale
01-20-2005, 06:14 PM
I tried it out, pushed first hand with JJ, called by AK and lost. This didn't really feel very fun, I could have got like beer or something with the 6 dollars.

You had to have gotten lucky to win so many of the all-ins when you were called. I'm not even sold that you'd have a positive roi pushing every hand until you double up or bust and then play normal.

lacky
01-20-2005, 06:17 PM
Irie, buy another monitor, today!
it helps more than you can imagine to see all the games all the time. U can get set up for under $200, so it's silly to wait, even if it's only temporary.

Steve

PrayingMantis
01-20-2005, 06:20 PM
Very nice. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Have you thought about moving down to some micro-limit SNGs (I know some sites are offering those)? It doesn't seem like a very difficult mission to multi them 25 together a-la ZJ with this style of play, and you can probably bring up your $/H pretty nicely, using a very tiny BR. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

The Yugoslavian
01-20-2005, 06:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]

As for the chat... I play 8 screens on a single monitor, so all of my chat boxes are covered. I rarely see any of it, so I wasn't ignoring you on purpose. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Irieguy

[/ QUOTE ]

Good enough for me and my self-esteem!

FWIW Your New Years homey, was 8-tabling and carried on a quite decent conversation with me and another 2+2 guy at the same time.

Hey so, I hope you're not ignoring hot women who need your expertise in order to explain inconsequential things to a David Schwimmer-looking dork like me.

Yugoslav

PS If it's the not-so-hot women who you're avoiding, then I'm more than willing to come up with useless stuff to talk about pertaining to STTs. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Laughingboy
01-20-2005, 09:23 PM
Tried it today, while talking to my girlfriend on the phone. Conversation didn't go so well because I kept laughing my ass off at random intervals. On the first hand I went all in and showed my 7-2 offsuit when everyone folded /images/graemlins/smile.gif Got 2nd place. KK beaten by A2. Poetic justice I suppose.

If nothing else, it was funny as hell.

-S.