PDA

View Full Version : Should I limp?

nickey009
01-20-2005, 04:03 AM
I know a lot of this one is results oriented but really...should I try limping this?

Party Poker Pot-Limit Hold'em, $1 BB (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

UTG ($62.6)
UTG+1 ($79.9)
MP1 ($98.35)
MP2 ($31.35)
MP3 ($53.25)
CO ($96.7)
Button ($54.05)
SB ($35.7)
Hero ($42.35)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG calls $1, UTG+1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises to $2</font>, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button calls $2, SB folds, Hero folds, UTG calls $1.

Flop: ($7.50) 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets $1</font>, Button calls $1, UTG calls $1.

Turn: ($10.50) K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets $1</font>, Button folds, UTG calls $1.

River: ($12.50) K/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets $1</font>, UTG calls $1.

Final Pot: $14.50

pindawg
01-20-2005, 04:43 AM
Folding is correct. Should I limp 72o because one time I folded it and the flop came up 772? I don't really understand your question because your in the bb with a raise in front you ... how would you limp this?

boondockst
01-20-2005, 04:51 AM
No...this post is a quote from earlier and refers to A2 but it's very applicable.

[ QUOTE ]
In order to use implied odds you need to have a hand which is capable of winning a large pot. With A2o you'll have a hard enough time even winning the small pots, let alone big ones. Even two pair with A2 is a shaky hand as you will often run into the bigger two pair or you'll end up counterfeited by the board pairing (A8278, etc). Even a wheel is the bottom end of the straight. Making deuces full leaves you vulnerable to sets which made the big full house. Making aces full is a little bit stronger, but on that AJ2KA board are you sure you're not up against AK or AJ? I mean, they must have *something* in order to play a big pot against you. Making quads is probably good, but will you get action?

So to summarize, implied odds come from having a hand capable of making the nuts or somthing close to the nuts. A2o needs to make quads in order to have the nuts. So it sucks. I would never consider putting any money into the pot with it except in certain situations where I can see the flop heads up against an opponent who is likely to have a weak hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

nickey009
01-20-2005, 12:30 PM
Okay, so it's not a limp but it's calling one more dollar when I'm 99% sure the betting will be capped. I know A5 is a questionable holding which is why I folded it. I'm just looking for an affirmation that I did the right thing.

GimmeDaWatch
01-20-2005, 12:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Okay, so it's not a limp but it's calling one more dollar when I'm 99% sure the betting will be capped. I know A5 is a questionable holding which is why I folded it. I'm just looking for an affirmation that I did the right thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think its marginal. The problem is that when you do flop your ace, you dont really know where you stand, and end up having to fold to any significant action.

amoeba
01-20-2005, 12:55 PM
look at how deep stack sizes are and compare it to the $1 additional you have to pay.

calculate your implied odds and then calculate how often you flop the wheel. and you will need to flop the wheel because any draw you pick up will be a gutshot draw.

true you can also flop 2 pair, but as shown in this example, it doesn't have a lot of counterfeit protection.

if the A5 were suited, I can maybe, maybe see a call preflop if you think villains are likely to overplay their TPTK hands postflop.

I would prefer to have a hand like 67s, 78s to make the call here though.

trojanrabbit
01-20-2005, 02:04 PM
Call only when I'm the raiser. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

poboy
01-20-2005, 02:21 PM
I never ever fold my blind for 1 bet, even if all I have is 72o. The reason being is that I don't want to appear tight. Of course I only continue with this hand if the flop hits me very hard. When your hand does hit(2 pair,trips, or a str8) you can win an awfully big pot, as noone is going to put you on A5. The way I look at it, it's the same situation if I had called in ep and had it minraised behind me. I'm certainly not going to fold there, so why do it from the blind?

amoeba
01-20-2005, 02:25 PM
I don't know, what kind of hands do you limp with from EP ?

DrPublo
01-20-2005, 03:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ding ding ding, we have a winner!

If you're going to play inferior hands in raised pots, make them suited and do it with position. The ONLY exception to this is when the raiser is in EP, has collected a few callers, and you can call with a marginal hand with relative position on the raiser.

The Doc

poboy
01-20-2005, 04:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Certainly not Axo, but that is not my point. The point is I already have a bet in the pot, to fold for one more regardless of what my cards are would at the very least be bad for my table image. If I did for some reason decide to limp in w/ Axo from EP , I would not fold for a minraise. Would you?

amoeba
01-20-2005, 04:33 PM
really depends on how many other callers of that minraise there were.

if it was heads up or even 3 way. I easily fold.