PDA

View Full Version : Post deleted by Mat Sklansky

Sophia
01-20-2005, 02:24 AM

QuickLearner
01-20-2005, 10:05 AM
Either Krieger or Badger wrote (loosely paraphrasing here...) that schooling works differently in O/8. In Texas Holdem the chasers together put in enough money so their play is "correct" but in Omaha those same bad players include a few who are dead and don't know it. So welcome the schools, and welcome the variance, and play for the nuts, and grit your teeth and type "nh."

Badger also wrote that when asked which book he recommends for O/8 his answer is "The Bible." Who am I to argue?

kenberman
01-20-2005, 02:32 PM
try posting hands in "other poker". low limit Omaha is very easy to beat, once you have a solid understanding of the game. soooo much dead money

Beavis68
01-20-2005, 03:27 PM
it is easy to beat, but it is frustraiting too.

I had read somewhere that the schooling affect doesnt work in Omaha8/b, but I don't agree, these limpers build big pots, and then stay in with horrible highs or horrible lows and suck off half a pot they should have never been in.

EarlCat
01-20-2005, 04:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
try posting hands in "other poker". low limit Omaha is very easy to beat, once you have a solid understanding of the game. soooo much dead money

[/ QUOTE ]

So how does one with a small bankroll get better at Omaha if the low limit games are so soft? I'm fairly new at it, but doing well on the small tables...I'm not ready to move up, but I don't really see fish making me a better player in the mean time...

Rudbaeck
01-20-2005, 04:08 PM
You play tight, good starting hands and only draw to nuts or second nuts. (Be very vary of drawing to a second nut low though.)

I think a person on a small bankroll would be much better off in low limit O/8 than in low limit hold'em.

Beavis68
01-20-2005, 11:06 PM
stay until you have a big bankroll.

Spellmen
01-21-2005, 01:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]

I had read somewhere that the schooling affect doesnt work in Omaha8/b, but I don't agree, these limpers build big pots, and then stay in with horrible highs or horrible lows and suck off half a pot they should have never been in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Schooling works in Hold'em because often the hands are live. Alot of times in low limit Omaha you will have several players drawing dead to a low flush when someone has the A high, I don't care what pot odds they are schooling, they have no advantage when they're drawing dead

__Q__
01-21-2005, 08:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
and the game just reeks of pure luck.

[/ QUOTE ]

It seems to me that in all forms of poker, as the number of hands played approaches infinity, then the amount that that game reeks of luck approaches zero.

So basically, if you want it to reek less, play more hands.

Caution: while this will make the game reek less of luck, it won't necessarily make you a winner.

Beavis68
01-22-2005, 02:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Schooling works in Hold'em because often the hands are live. Alot of times in low limit Omaha you will have several players drawing dead to a low flush when someone has the A high, I don't care what pot odds they are schooling, they have no advantage when they're drawing dead

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but the pots are also much bigger because of this, and money just gets shoved back and fourth between suckouts - whether it is from some idiot taking the high with middle two pair and no hope for the low, or some guy with K947 winning the low when the nut gets counterfietted at the river.