PDA

View Full Version : basic question

bxpeter
01-20-2005, 12:22 AM
bad play? i didn't really have a read, but for some reason, the bet size seemed suspicious to me.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (7 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

CO (t2590)
Button (t780)
SB (t1020)
BB (t600)
UTG (t1485)
MP1 (t1520)
Hero (t2005)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 8/images/graemlins/club.gif, 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises to t500</font>, Hero calls [t2005] , CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, MP1 calls [t1020] t500.

Flop: (t800) A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Turn: (t800) A/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: (t800) T/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: t800

converter screwed up... i went all in and he called.

DeadAA88
01-20-2005, 01:16 AM
First, let me predicate this post by saying I'm no expert! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hard to say without more information, but some questions you have to ask yourself preflop are:

Does MP1 seem to push a lot preflop, trying to steel blinds?
If so, is it usually an all-in?

To me, this bet seems targeted. With BB and the Button on short stack, ready to be chopped by the blinds, chances are one of them will move all in with Ax or maybe Kx. He's probably hoping to take the blinds right there, but wouldn't mind a call from the short stacks, therefore the most likely hand is A with a pretty good kicker, at least T. In most cases he will be dominating a call from a shortstack and take some chips. He probably didn't like you calling too much.

I assume it was checked all the way to the river, where you bet.

On the flop, he may be worried about his kicker trouble and checked to you. I might try a bet here to see where I stand, and protect against a possible flush. If I get played back, it isn't too hard to release based on the preflop action.

Turn is now trouble. MP1 now has the nut full house, and at worst would split a pot with you (assuming you don't have 22). Since he has already checked the flop, he might as well go on with it and hope you try and take a stab at the pot.
The river is a bit strange. If you give you opponent credit for being able to check a nut full house on the river, then its easy to check. However, I don't think moving all in is a good idea here. You will only get called by cards that can beat you at this point, there's almost no equity there. Maybe you can place a smaller bet and see what happens, but even that will usually cost you money. You also can't forget KK, QQ, and JJ. A lot of players can't even let go of these hands on the river.

I can't see this play as winning in most situations.

Xhiggy
01-20-2005, 01:32 AM
I'd go all-in PF. one other option is to fold PF (if you felt his bet to be strong based on how he had been played).

parappa
01-20-2005, 01:50 AM
Of course, what the bet size might mean is level-dependent. At low limits it could mean absolutely anything. I'd want to be quite sure that he was capable of laying it down before I'd push 88 here. Even if I knew he could lay it down, I'm still not sure I like this spot. He's raising into 6 players--I'm going to give him credit for something, and there's not that much that he could raise with here that I'm in great shape against-there's no particular reason at this point for me to want to race.

bigredlemon
01-20-2005, 02:01 AM
UTG folds, MP1 raises to t500, Hero calls [t2005] , CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, MP1 calls [t1020] t500.

Does that make little sense to anyone else? How can he call his own raise??

bxpeter
01-20-2005, 02:28 AM
I was trying to clear this up when I said the converter screwed up.

Preflop action should be: Mp1 bets, I reraise him all in, he calls.

schwza
01-20-2005, 11:09 AM
if he were the button and you were the SB, i'd like it a lot better.

as it is, villain likely is pretty strong to raise out of position, and there are still 4 people left to act after you push. if one of them shows up with AA-QQ (AA-JJ? i think TT folds) you're in a lot of trouble.

i don't think you have very much folding equity here. villain will only have to call 1020 to win a total of 3340. him folding would be a bad mistake.

i'm not a fan unless this guy's a maniac.