PDA

View Full Version : World Series LVP....

11-05-2001, 09:29 AM
(that's least valuable Player) /images/smile.gif

Only one candidate... Bob Brenly.

The Diamonbacks outhit, outpitched and outdefensed the Yankees and clearly deserve to be World Champions.

But Brenly??? sheesh. forgetting not playing Durazo, pitching Kim for 3 innings in Game 4, not starting Batista in Game 3, not letting Swindell pitch to Posada in Game 5...etc etc.

But the whole world could see Schilling was running on empty in the seventh... he is a warrior and I can only tip my hat to him... but it is amazing he got out of that with only one run concended. If he had pulled Johnson after 40 pitches in Game 6 he could have replaced Schilling with the unit and the ninth inning heroics wouldn't have been needed.

Curt Schilling, Randy Johnson, Gonzo, Mark Grace, Matt Williams, Tony Womack etc etc... I salute you.

Bob Brenly... please go back to the broadcast booth.

Cheers,

Keith

11-05-2001, 08:26 PM
how about leaving Randy Johnson in to throw more than 90 pitches in the saturday night massacre?

11-05-2001, 11:44 PM
Living in Phoenix, I've seen more boners this year than well there's probably a cool analogy there that would guarantee this post going to the delenda file but you get the drift. BB takes pride in saying how he likes to "go with a hunch." I'm glad that the doctors, pilots, engineers and network television executives in my life exert themselves in their work beyond playing the hunches. (and I'm also glad all those poker players don't -- heh, it's tough to have it both ways.)

JG

11-06-2001, 03:31 AM
My only question is if this was such a poorly managed team, why did they get this far only with Brenly? Showalter was supposed to be this master they stole from Steinbrenner and where did he get them? Brenly comes in and wins a title. Say what you want but isn't this a case where results matter? I mean the Yanks could have been outscored by a ton and won the series and no one would have said anything about how they had been "beat". Results are what matter and they will forever have a banner saying World Champs so why get after the guy now? That would be like having a team win the Super Bowl and yet everyone asking the coach after the game, nice win yet why didn't you cover the spread???

11-06-2001, 12:53 PM
Same team, but the delta is Schilling at full strength which he was not at last year. To look at the results and give Brenly the credit for marginal difference would only be fair if all other things were equal, and they were not. Given the interplay involved in trying to control out for one factor, results is NOT the way to evaluate Brenly. You have to look at what he did in his role as prima facie evidence.

JG