PDA

View Full Version : Why is my internet connection so slow?

partygirluk
01-19-2005, 09:20 PM
I recently switched to another P.C.
It was the P.C. I used while at uni, and it is better than the current one. This one can show one table at a time, but the other can show 4. It has more RAM. I want to use it. But the internet connection is painfully slow.
Both P.C.s have dial-up. This is slow enough as it is. But on the other P.C. it is so slow that there must be something wrong. Often the net connection just dies altogether. This has proved very irksome when playing poker on it, I have lost quite a few $ due to it, and I want the situation resolved.

I have AVG free and Ad Aware. Ad Aware is just a basic version. So I am not sure if it is a virus, or perhaps the modem is just old.

How do I find out what the problem is, and how do I resolve it?

ThaSaltCracka
01-19-2005, 09:23 PM
your problem is that you are using dial-up.

stabn
01-19-2005, 09:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]

your problem is that you are using dial-up.

[/ QUOTE ]

AngryCola
01-19-2005, 09:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Why is my internet connection so slow?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because you touch yourself at night. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Actually... TSC gave you the real answer.

stabn
01-19-2005, 09:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Because you touch yourself at night.

[/ QUOTE ]
We'd see this question from like 98.2% of 2+2 posters if that was the case.

jakethebake
01-19-2005, 09:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Because you touch yourself at night.

[/ QUOTE ]
We'd see this question from like 98.2% of 2+2 posters if that was the case.

[/ QUOTE ]
Nah. Why post? The rest of know this is the correct answer.

AngryCola
01-19-2005, 09:28 PM
True. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

"Young Peter: Why did all the dinosaurs die out?

Tour Guide: Because you touch yourself at night."

stabn
01-19-2005, 09:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Nah. Why post? The rest of know this is the correct answer.

[/ QUOTE ]
Since when has that stopped an OoT poster? Usually it just means a new thread gets started.

partygirluk
01-19-2005, 09:34 PM
I know that dial up is crap and I should get broadband. However, the connection on this P.C. is bearable, whereas on the other it is ridiculously slow.

Say, this P.C. runs 100 metres in 30 seconds, the other P.C. takes 10 minutes.

Why?

stabn
01-19-2005, 09:35 PM
If they are not in the same location it could be the phone line.

partygirluk
01-19-2005, 09:38 PM
Same phone line, same monitor, same keyboard, mouse etc.

jakethebake
01-19-2005, 09:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Say, this P.C. runs 100 metres in 30 seconds, the other P.C. takes 10 minutes. Why?

[/ QUOTE ]
Maybe you should try a shorter distance. Sup bro can't run the 100m either, but he runs a 4.4 40.

AngryCola
01-19-2005, 09:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Say, this P.C. runs 100 metres in 30 seconds, the other P.C. takes 10 minutes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it a hardware modem or a software modem (WinModem)?

Sometimes certain computers have crappy types of software modems in their stomachs. Hardware modems are almost always going to be better than software based modems.

Beyond that, I would check your drivers for the modem you currently have installed.

Honestly, there could a wide variety of reasons this is happening to your connection. Without more information all I can advise you to do is to check the drivers and look into purchasing a hardware modem.

stabn
01-19-2005, 09:42 PM
Any chance you are willing to reinstall windows? Is it only dog ass slow on the internet, but fast for everything else?

partygirluk
01-19-2005, 09:43 PM
I have used this P.C. on this connection with dial up fine before.

However, my parents prefer the other P.C., so we switched to that. When I switched back, the P.C. was damn slow. I figure it might have gathered loads of dust which [censored] it up.

partygirluk
01-19-2005, 09:44 PM
Yes.

You think reinstalling windows is a reasonable proposition?

AngryCola
01-19-2005, 09:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have used this P.C. on this connection with dial up fine before.

However, my parents prefer the other P.C., so we switched to that. When I switched back, the P.C. was damn slow. I figure it might have gathered loads of dust which [censored] it up.

[/ QUOTE ]

In that case, it's unlikely to be caused by dust. Something in the registry might be messed up. If you have run virus scans and have checked for spyware, I would say there's a good chance the registry is screwy in some way.

Hopefully, you can d/l a program which leans up the reg. for you, and that will take care of it.
System Mechanic (http://www.iolo.com/sm/5/)

If not, I would suggest a fresh install of windows.
It never hurts.
If you aren't comfortable doing that, don't do it.

*NOTE ABOUT SYSTEM MECHANIC*
As Terry said to Granny:
[ QUOTE ]
You can use it free for 30 days, so no need to buy it right now. I recommend that you use ONLY the part to “Repair Problems and Fix Errors, Clean and optimize you Registry, fix broken shortcuts” part, as well as the excellent disk defragger. Some of the other settings it uses will cause you problems when the 30 day free trial period ends.

[/ QUOTE ]

stabn
01-19-2005, 09:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]

If not, I would suggest a fresh install of windows.
It never hurts.
If you aren't comfortable doing that, don't do it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is probably the easist path if partygirluk can do it. Otherwise it's going to be download x spybot style,regclean programs until something fixes it.

AngryCola
01-19-2005, 09:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think this is probably the easist path if partygirluk can do it. Otherwise it's going to be download x spybot style,regclean programs until something fixes it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe...
But if Granny can use System Mechanic, I'm betting this person from the UK can too. /images/graemlins/smile.gif
It's worth a shot.

Fresh installs of windows always help to speed up a system though. I format my drive once every year or so just to keep the performance up.

partygirluk
01-19-2005, 09:57 PM
MY other P.C. is Windows XP. How do I reinstall it? Do I need the original C.D.

That will take some finding /images/graemlins/frown.gif

p.s. don't take this to mean it is pirate - it isn't.

stabn
01-19-2005, 09:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Maybe...
But if Granny can use System Mechanic, I'm betting this person from the UK can too.
It's worth a shot.

[/ QUOTE ]

True. However, i didn't want to go through a try x, try y, try z, alright reinstall. But system mechanic > reinstall is definitely a viable path.

[ QUOTE ]

Fresh installs of windows always help to speed up a system though. I format my drive once every year or so just to keep the performance up.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just build one every two and call it good.

AngryCola
01-19-2005, 10:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]

MY other P.C. is Windows XP. How do I reinstall it? Do I need the original C.D.

[/ QUOTE ]

Microsoft sells and distributes two types of Windows installs.

1) Full Install from blank system

2) Upgrade install from a previous version of windows already on the system

It depends on what the company that sold you your computer decided to include with your setup. With most of the less expensive brands out there, you are getting the upgrade disk.

It's impossible to use an upgrade disk to perform a fresh install of windows. So make sure you have a full version disc before (if) you format your drive (yikes).

Also, it's important to note that you probably won't be able to use the same disc for two computers if you are trying to install XP. Microsoft made some security changes with XP.
Older versions (I think as recent as ME) could be installed on multiple computers with no problems.

stabn
01-19-2005, 10:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]

It's impossible to use an upgrade disk to perform a fresh install of windows. So make sure you have a full version disc before (if) you format your drive (yikes).

[/ QUOTE ]
Incorrect. You should be able to do this if you can provide 98/ME/Win2k full install media. I think. I haven't played with this since 01.

partygirluk
01-19-2005, 10:04 PM
The P.C. came with 98. I then bought a C.D. and upgraded to X.P.
I guess this was the upgrade disk.
So, how do I go about doing all this registry stuff?

jakethebake
wtf? get dsl!

AngryCola
[ QUOTE ]
if you can provide 98/ME/Win2k full install media.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true... or at least it used to be.
But I was saying that you wouldn't be able to do a fresh install of windows WITHOUT a full install disc.
That's what I was getting at.

AngryCola
01-19-2005, 10:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So, how do I go about doing all this registry stuff?

[/ QUOTE ]

Go back over my posts on this thread. I edited in a link to a good tool for such things.

"System Mechanic"

[ QUOTE ]
I guess this was the upgrade disk.

[/ QUOTE ]
That's most likely the case. The upgrade versions are in most stores (Walmart), and they are less expensive than the full installs.

partygirluk
01-19-2005, 10:26 PM
Seeing as my connection is so crappy on the other P.C. I am downloading systemmechanic on this P.C. It is 6.5 MB. I need to chop that up so I can get it on 5 floppy disks and get it on my other P.C. How do I do this? I once saw a friend do this, but I forgot how.

AngryCola
01-19-2005, 10:49 PM
I have never had to do much file splitting, but I looked around a bit and came up with this. (http://www.dekabyte.com/filesplitter/)

It should do the trick.

stabn
01-19-2005, 11:04 PM
Winzip can also do it by going to Actions | Split. I haven't actually had to split a file across disks since i used PKZip back in the day though.

AngryCola
01-19-2005, 11:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Winzip can also do it by going to Actions | Split. I haven't actually had to split a file across disks since i used PKZip back in the day though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Winzip can't open *.exe files that aren't self-extracting executables.
That was the first thing I tried. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

jakethebake
01-19-2005, 11:41 PM
PC Load Letter? What the fu[/b]ck does that mean?

stabn
01-19-2005, 11:58 PM
You can create a new zip though and split it across disks.

stabn
01-19-2005, 11:59 PM
Obviously you need more flair.

AngryCola
01-20-2005, 12:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You can create a new zip though and split it across disks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh.. jeez.. You're right. I was being dense.

stabn
01-20-2005, 12:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Oh.. jeez.. You're right. I was being dense.

[/ QUOTE ]
Np. I also went into winzip and verified before posting. I just did it right :P.