PDA

View Full Version : Amazing things I could do when I was a kid

Daliman
01-19-2005, 08:18 PM
Ok, since half the forum here thinks I'm a dumbass, here are some of the cool things i could do/did when I was a kid.

-When I was in 4th grade, the teacher used to give out sheets with 100 math problems on them. They were addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division seperately, in that order. We got 3 minutes to finish one, and when we did that 3 days in a row, we got to move on to the next sheet. THe problems on the sheets were always the same, and By week 3, I was already through all 4 and had moved on to 2 at a time, both the same kind, whereas only one other kid had even finished subtraction and half the class hadn't finished addition. I finished 2 at a time, before that other kid finished one at a time, so the teacher, not expecting anyone to get this far in the 9 week quarter, decided to start giving me 2 at a time of different kinds, i.e. addition and division, multiplication and subtraction, etc. Well, no matter the combination she gave me, i always finished them in the alotted time. When she discussed this with the other teachers, they were convinced I was cheating, so the vice principal came in to ask me questions about it. When i told him I had memorized all the numbers, and that I could finish more if I Didn't write so slow, he didn't believe me. I told him to grab any of the sheets he liked, and I read off the answers for the whole sheet for him without ever looking at it. I did the same for the 3 other shhets, and the VP had a look on his face like he'd seen a ghost. THey were considering putting me uo 2-3 grades, but considering I was already very small for my age that it might not be a good idea. Also, Army Bases in Panama are not exactly cradles of Education, therefore they weren't quite sure what to do with me. I ended up staying in 4th grade, but getting advanced classes with the 6th graders about half the time.
- I won my school spelling bee in 3rd,4th grade and 5th grade. Our school went up to 6th grade, and I moved away before getting a chance to 4-peat.
- In my new school, i won the spelling bee as a 7th grader (6th-8th graders there), and came in 17th in the district that year (always had problems with the word "vaguely" for some reason, ach)
-in testing given when I was in 7th grade, (i think they were called SRA's, not sure), the tests measured your competency level in 6 different subject. I had the compentency of a graduating senior in 4 of them, a Junior in his 6th month in 1, and a sophomore in his 5th month in the other, scoring in the top .8% of all 7th graders. In 8th grade, I got all senior/grad scores, and was in top .6%
- I was placed in a talented and gifted program in 7th grade, but failed out of it mainly because I had gotten used to not needing to do howework to understand the curriculum, and also liked playing football with my friends more than homework.
- No person within 25 years of my age has ever beaten me at Trivial Pursuit. My Dad, who went to medical school for 2 years, beat me once when I was 14 by one peice, and hasn't since. I have taken on 6 people on the same team before and won by 2 pieces.
- I once held my breath for 2 minutes, 19 seconds when I was 10.

SO THERE! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Please share your back-in-the-day heroics.

slickpoppa
01-19-2005, 08:22 PM
Listen to "Glory Days" by Bruce Springsteen.

lapoker17
01-19-2005, 08:22 PM
I can't believe you took the time to type this.

daryn
01-19-2005, 08:25 PM
you keep digging, deeper and deeper /images/graemlins/frown.gif

p.s. i am smarter /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

pshreck
01-19-2005, 08:29 PM
The fact that they got some pieces means you are getting questions wrong. I have seen my uncle run the table from the beginning, and I know probably 2 or 3 others that will get about 19 out of 20 questions right, so it is always possible that once it is their turn, no one else will play.

Are you in Mensa by any chance?

Stork
01-19-2005, 08:32 PM
So what you think your better than me now? I'll make a fondue out of your pet.

TimM
01-19-2005, 08:33 PM
Why do people equate intelligence with knowledge?

You can be highly intelligent and still not know many of the answers in trivial pursuit.

Yeti
01-19-2005, 08:33 PM
For the love of God, delete this before you get David started.

pshreck
01-19-2005, 08:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]

You can be highly intelligent and still not know many of the answers in trivial pursuit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, that is true, but I guarantee you there is a HIGH correlation between intelligence and knowing answers in Trivial Pursuit. This is ofcourse assuming you have lived in the US most of your life as the game pertains mostly to the US.

Intelligent people absorb knowledge and generally have stronger memories than ignorant people, that's why they tend to be better at Trivial Pursuit.

Boris
01-19-2005, 08:38 PM
Dude it's the most fcked up feeling. I went back to my hometown over Xmas and one night in the bar ran into 2 two people I hadn't seen since shortly after high school. I felt like I was living in that Glory Days song. I'm 32 so I guess I'm hitting Bruce Springsteen age, although I don't listen to Bruce hardly ever.

ThaSaltCracka
01-19-2005, 09:02 PM
your childhood shi[/b]t is gay as fuc[/b]k, no one cares about this.

when I was younger I use to be a mean bike rider and tree climber, now that is some cool shi[/b]t.

holla.

Daliman
01-19-2005, 10:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So I keep hearing.

Trivial pursuit for $100, when we finally meet.

Daliman
01-19-2005, 10:28 PM
I was swimming and surfing in tidal waves when I was 8.

Bikes and trees, YAY!

Been there, done that. Try bikes in jungle.

daryn
01-19-2005, 10:38 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />

[/ QUOTE ]

So I keep hearing.

[/ QUOTE ]

heh i was joking of course but i accept! i /images/graemlins/heart.gif TP

jakethebake
01-19-2005, 10:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I'll take you on. I once won a game in 14 minutes. I still remember the final answer was Dweezil Zappa. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!!
01-19-2005, 10:40 PM
Me and my borther and some friends had a complex, on-going game involving fake money, guns and drugs. It was totaly sweet.

Beerfund
01-19-2005, 10:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Ok, since half the forum here thinks I'm a dumbass, here are some of the cool things i could do/did when I was a kid.

-When I was in 4th grade, the teacher used to give out sheets with 100 math problems on them. They were addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division seperately, in that order. We got 3 minutes to finish one, and when we did that 3 days in a row, we got to move on to the next sheet. THe problems on the sheets were always the same, and By week 3, I was already through all 4 and had moved on to 2 at a time, both the same kind, whereas only one other kid had even finished subtraction and half the class hadn't finished addition. I finished 2 at a time, before that other kid finished one at a time, so the teacher, not expecting anyone to get this far in the 9 week quarter, decided to start giving me 2 at a time of different kinds, i.e. addition and division, multiplication and subtraction, etc. Well, no matter the combination she gave me, i always finished them in the alotted time. When she discussed this with the other teachers, they were convinced I was cheating, so the vice principal came in to ask me questions about it. When i told him I had memorized all the numbers, and that I could finish more if I Didn't write so slow, he didn't believe me. I told him to grab any of the sheets he liked, and I read off the answers for the whole sheet for him without ever looking at it. I did the same for the 3 other shhets, and the VP had a look on his face like he'd seen a ghost. THey were considering putting me uo 2-3 grades, but considering I was already very small for my age that it might not be a good idea. Also, Army Bases in Panama are not exactly cradles of Education, therefore they weren't quite sure what to do with me. I ended up staying in 4th grade, but getting advanced classes with the 6th graders about half the time.
- I won my school spelling bee in 3rd,4th grade and 5th grade. Our school went up to 6th grade, and I moved away before getting a chance to 4-peat.
- In my new school, i won the spelling bee as a 7th grader (6th-8th graders there), and came in 17th in the district that year (always had problems with the word "vaguely" for some reason, ach)
-in testing given when I was in 7th grade, (i think they were called SRA's, not sure), the tests measured your competency level in 6 different subject. I had the compentency of a graduating senior in 4 of them, a Junior in his 6th month in 1, and a sophomore in his 5th month in the other, scoring in the top .8% of all 7th graders. In 8th grade, I got all senior/grad scores, and was in top .6%
- I was placed in a talented and gifted program in 7th grade, but failed out of it mainly because I had gotten used to not needing to do howework to understand the curriculum, and also liked playing football with my friends more than homework.
- No person within 25 years of my age has ever beaten me at Trivial Pursuit. My Dad, who went to medical school for 2 years, beat me once when I was 14 by one peice, and hasn't since. I have taken on 6 people on the same team before and won by 2 pieces.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do the people at Guinness know about these amazing feats?? I think they could write a whole book just about you, I mean you can add AND subtract at the same time! WOW....

Daliman
01-19-2005, 10:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Do the people at Guinness know about these amazing feats?? I think they could write a whole book just about you, I mean you can add AND subtract at the same time! WOW....

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but I can't run a mile in 6 minutes anymore. I guess I'm worthless in your eyes.

Hopefully, making $150+ an hour playing poker will help console me.

astroglide
01-19-2005, 11:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

talking about it makes you pathetic

Alobar
01-19-2005, 11:22 PM
when I was 5 I discovered masturbation

TimM
01-19-2005, 11:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
when I was 5 I discovered masturbation

[/ QUOTE ]

Brilliant!!!!

Daliman
01-19-2005, 11:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

talking about it makes you pathetic

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny, I don't see how, nor do I care.

P.S. It was directed to a SPECIFIC loudmouth, not any.

CCass
01-20-2005, 12:12 AM
My penis is larger than yours. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

vulturesrow
01-20-2005, 12:18 AM
I learned to pee-pee and poo-poo in a potty. The skill usually sticks even when I am drunk. Quite amazing actually.

ilya
01-20-2005, 01:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, that is true, but I guarantee you there is a HIGH correlation between intelligence and knowing answers in Trivial Pursuit. This is ofcourse assuming you have lived in the US most of your life as the game pertains mostly to the US.

Intelligent people absorb knowledge and generally have stronger memories than ignorant people, that's why they tend to be better at Trivial Pursuit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interest in pop culture being equal, I agree. However, there are tons of very intelligent people who couldn't care less about sports, celebrities, etc...; they don't watch TV, they don't read EW or SI...they just solve very hard math problems or what not.

Sponger15SB
01-20-2005, 01:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So I keep hearing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless of course you have the answers memorized! Cheater!

normal Trivial Pursuit isn'too hard, but Trivial Pursuit for juniors is freaking impossible!

MarkL444
01-20-2005, 01:40 AM
I used to be able to brag to strangers that dont care.

Zoltri
01-20-2005, 02:03 AM
Here is the truth about Daliman (http://daliman.swellserver.com/news/top_stories/arrested.php)

Sponger15SB
01-20-2005, 02:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Here is the truth about Daliman (http://daliman.swellserver.com/news/top_stories/arrested.php)

[/ QUOTE ]

SOOOOOOO played.

john smith
01-20-2005, 02:53 AM
I hope Sup Bro responds to this post.

Tron
01-20-2005, 05:05 AM
Yeah I was just about as brilliant as yourself back in dizzay when I was 6 or something... I've actually never played Trivial Pursuit at any point in my life, though... Is that sad/pathetic?

Dr. Strangelove
01-20-2005, 05:33 AM
I got booted out of talented and gifted shibbity dibbity in second grade because when asked to name something squishy I said "Boobs."

and 4:31 on the breath holding. BOOM!!!

Daliman
01-20-2005, 05:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]

and 4:31 on the breath holding. BOOM!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh my. THe oxygen depravation cause any permanent damage?

Rick Diesel
01-20-2005, 10:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah I was just about as brilliant as yourself back in dizzay when I was 6 or something... I've actually never played Trivial Pursuit at any point in my life, though... Is that sad/pathetic?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I think it means that you are not sad or pathetic.

Rick Diesel
01-20-2005, 10:04 AM
I don't get it. So you were a nerd. Who cares? What do you want, a cookie or something?

NotMitch
01-20-2005, 10:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I saved Latin. What did you ever do?

Zoltri
01-20-2005, 10:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't get it. So you were a nerd. Who cares? What do you want, a cookie or something?

[/ QUOTE ]
Bitch slapped all over the forum.
Where is the humanity?

http://brawl-hall.com/gallery/data88/thumbnails/7/icon_smile_bitchslap.gif

Daliman
01-20-2005, 11:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, I wasn;t near a nerd, but that's ok. THis is in reference to another thread about dumb things I used to think really, but that's ok. I can take it. Hard to be pwn3d when you serve up the pwning tho, guys.

rickthekeg
01-20-2005, 12:42 PM
In 2nd grade, I had to go to a different teacher for spelling because I was spelling on a 5th grade level. In 5th grade, I won the school spelling bee. In 6th grade, I won the school spelling bee (out of 6th-8th graders) and the district spelling bee. Of course, I missed the first word at the next level.

I was in the 99th percentlile in the overall math section of the IBTS tests (4th grade). I was also in the 99th percentile in one of the subsections in science and reading.

And it's been downhill from there...

Shajen
01-20-2005, 12:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
In 2nd grade, I had to go to a different teacher for spelling because I was spelling on a 5th grade level. In 5th grade, I won the school spelling bee. In 6th grade, I won the school spelling bee (out of 6th-8th graders) and the district spelling bee. Of course, I missed the first word at the next level.

I was in the 99th percentlile in the overall math section of the IBTS tests (4th grade). I was also in the 99th percentile in one of the subsections in science and reading.

And it's been downhill from there...

[/ QUOTE ]

In the second grade, I successfully stopped eating my own boogers.

I also finally beat that whole potty training thing.

I also played a lot. Good times.

daryn
01-20-2005, 12:53 PM
Hard to be pwn3d when you serve up the pwning tho, guys.

[/ QUOTE ]

how smart can you be if mix up the meanings of hard and easy?

ThaSaltCracka
01-20-2005, 12:56 PM
the most amazing thing I could do when I was a kid was dunk on a 10 ft hoop, however, once I turned 12, I couldn't anymore. Amazing really.

Voltron87
None of these are really that exceptional or "amazing".

elwoodblues
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

But he could spell both words in utero.

Daliman
01-20-2005, 04:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hard to be pwn3d when you serve up the pwning tho, guys.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/confused.gif