PDA

View Full Version : WLLH & SSH - Redundant?

bigmatt25
01-19-2005, 08:14 PM
Is the information in WLLH and SSH the same, or would you suggest I read both (or one before the other)?

Holden97
01-19-2005, 08:23 PM
Absolutely not redundant. If you haven't played much and want to play with a bit more knowledge, read WLLH immediately. It's a very easy read (could probably finish it a B&N in one sitting).

After playing a while and understanding the concepts, "graduate" to SSH. SSH is much more advanced than WLLH, especially in aggressive play with draws that is advocated.

Unless you've already played alot, if you start with SSH you risk misapplying the concepts and ending up with a huge negative variance.

yeltzen
01-19-2005, 08:33 PM
SSH covers a lot of the same topics as WLLH, but applies them to loose games specifically. In places where WLLH would tell you to fold if you have only a small edge, SSH would probably tell you to push this edge.

istewart
01-20-2005, 01:21 AM
According to Malmuth's book reviews you should not be reading WLLH.

Mason Malmuth
01-20-2005, 01:27 AM
I suggest you look at my reviews again.

While I don't think that WLLH is a great book, I do think that the current edition is okay.

MM

lostinthought
01-20-2005, 01:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
According to Malmuth's book reviews you should not be reading WLLH.

[/ QUOTE ]

The first edition review, or the second?

And what exactly does he say?

I don't remember him saying, "dont read WLLH".

strive to be a bit more articulate.

lostinthought
01-20-2005, 01:29 AM
Hah.. he beat me to it..

Moss Factor
01-20-2005, 02:56 AM
Reading SSH is quite rendudant... the only thing I've ever done since reading it is make money. How redundant.

MicroBob
01-20-2005, 03:07 AM
If by 'redundant' you mean that one gives so-so weak-tight advice much of the time while the other gives you accurate advice designed to help you become an expert player...then, yes, it's REALLY redundant.

If by 'redundant' you mean that they offer the same kind advice and playing-style designed to beat the same type of game...then NO..they aren't redundant at all.

Mason found some problems with WLLHE...I think mostly regarding it's weak-tightness post-flop.

But for a new player who hasn't read either I think most of us would agree that WLLHE is a fairly easy read and it's weak-tight advice will actually make you a winner at the looser tables.

SSHE, however, offers much better advice....it is a bit tougher to comprehend if you are a relative newbie to the game though.
But it will also teach you to be a better player in the long-run.

If you have to read both "in order" per-se then WLLHE obviously comes before SSHE...and not vice-versa.
If you are already a decent player and know your way around a little bit then you might be ready to jump directly to SSHE.

However, if you have only been playing for a few weeks or months and have never picked up a poker book before then you probably would be wise to give WLLHE a look-see before tackling SSHE.

Joe B.
01-20-2005, 04:34 AM
i am a new person

i order both WLLH and SSH

should i be reading both at same time?

if not, read WLLH first. how many hands you recommend i play before i can put WLLH away and start reading SSH?

cowboyzfan
01-20-2005, 07:00 AM
I would say at least a few thousand. The purpose of reading the book is to learn the concepts and apply them. And you will probably have to reread it. Which is a good practice with all poker books.

Rudbaeck
01-20-2005, 10:21 AM
Atleast 10,000 hands while reading WLLH, that is if you are an incredibly quick learner. Then start on SSH. There are lightyears between these books.

benfranklin
01-20-2005, 02:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It's a very easy read (could probably finish it a B&N in one sitting).

[/ QUOTE ]

Rant begins. Or people could actually buy the book. If you can't afford poker books, you shouldn't be playing. Authors work hard to write books. Reading them in a book store is theft of intellectual property. And it usually puts wear and tear on the book, which really ticks me off when I'm the next one to pick it up. Rant over.

maryfield48
01-20-2005, 02:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i am a new person

[/ QUOTE ]

Happy birthday!

The T.A.
01-20-2005, 08:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Absolutely not redundant. If you haven't played much and want to play with a bit more knowledge, read WLLH immediately. It's a very easy read (could probably finish it a B&N in one sitting).

[/ QUOTE ]
If you haven't played much, and are going to read WLLH in one quick sitting, you probably won't get much from it.