PDA

View Full Version : 100/9 SNG's- A$$ in hand.

tallasudude
01-19-2005, 05:44 PM
I just recently started playing online poker about a week ago. I have been playing SNG's for the past 4-5 days. I have been able to turn my 100.00 Bankroll into over 1,200.00 in the first 4 days so I decided I would give a 100/9 a shot. They raped me! I was able to get my $ in with the best hand early on. But as it came down to 4-5 people they became increasingly aggresive. I would steal with A-10>, KJ>, 77>. and would try to play AK and QQ>. But It didnt get the job done. If my stack started falling a lot I would try to steal with Q9>. A lot of times when I did steal I got caught by AQ and was out in 4th. THe best I have had was 3rd place(2 times) out of 5 tournaments.

I really have no interest in playing 100/9 EVER AGAIN.
But how much harder is 100/9 compaired to 50/5.

Myst
01-19-2005, 05:46 PM
You played with a small bankroll and experienced normal swings. 2 3rds out of 5 tournaments isnt all that bad, and, if you play long enough, youll end up experiecing much worse.

But to answer your question, 100+9 is a bit tougher than 50+5.

But more importantly, play with a bankroll.

wulfheir
01-19-2005, 06:01 PM
I know this is off topic, but I'm still curious. Did you play your way thru $10+1s, $20+2s, etc.... $50+5s? When would you move up a level?

Benholio
01-19-2005, 06:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I just recently started playing online poker about a week ago. I have been playing SNG's for the past 4-5 days.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless you are just filthy rich, you shouldn't be anywhere close to the $100+9's yet. Playing online a week ago? 4-5 days of sngs? Do a search of this forum, look for things like bankroll management, when to move up levels, FAQ, etc.

Marcotte
01-19-2005, 06:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
But as it came down to 4-5 people they became increasingly aggresive. I would steal with A-10>, KJ>, 77>. and would try to play AK and QQ>. But It didnt get the job done. If my stack started falling a lot I would try to steal with Q9>.

[/ QUOTE ]

I only play the $10s, but this seem a bit tight for 4-5 players left. If you are stealing, it doesn't really matter what your cards are. Position and which players are in or out is way more important. For example, I am more likely to try a steal with J9 in the CO if its folded to me than with KJ on the button and one limper (5 players each time). One rule of thumb I use is to not try to steal pots if anyone is in (voluntarily).

tallasudude
01-19-2005, 06:16 PM
You have 2,000 chips in the 30/3 and lower.
You are on the button it is folded to you and you have K-10 off suit.
Blinds are 150/300.

How much do you bet? Push? Because in the earlier blinds say 100/200 if you raise 3x BB with k 10 and they push against you either you are F'ed or you fold which makes you also F'ed.

If you raise 3x BB with k 10 and BB calls. What do you do if you miss??? If you have 2k chips blinds 100/200.

Marcotte
01-19-2005, 06:27 PM
I generally will push with less than 10xBB, however I learned a valuable lesson about this a couple weeks ago in a MTT.

I had been raising my standard 3xBB every time I opened a pot (a lot of these were steals from late position). This had been going on for quite a while at my current table (at this point there were 3 or 4 tables left). All this time I was above 10xBB with a good sized stack relative to my table (2nd or 3rd perhaps).

Anyway, I lost a pot or two and found myself with just less than 10BB and a crappy hand (T6) in LP with an unopened pot. Now I was a little tired, and probably, no, definately, should have folded, but I went for the steal-raise. Because I was under 10xBB I went all in and was called by the SB. I don't know if the SB was more inclined to call because my betting pattern had just shifted, but I think a lot of people would be.

In this case it wouldn't have mattered, because SB was the tables chip leader and turned over 77, so he would have called any bet on my part. The point is you also want to take into account your image. Sometimes a min-raise will work better if you have 8-10BB because people think that such a small bet from such a small stack is asking for action and screaming "MONSTER!"