PDA

View Full Version : free card

09-18-2001, 08:37 PM
What is the meaning of getting a free card?

Does it mean you check in the round of betting and everyone also checks so you can see the next card for free?

I think I have also seen it mentioned as betting or raising in an earlier round so that one can get the card in the next round as a free card.

I need clarification in my understanding.

Thank you.

09-18-2001, 10:19 PM
If no one bets in a betting round (it's checked around) the next card(s) dealt is (are) "free card(s)"

When people talk about "getting a free card" in Hold'em, they need a card to complete a hand such as a flush or straight after the flop. Generally, the person is in late position. If it's checked to them they bet, and if it's bet to them they raise. In limit games such as $3-$6, this bet or raise cost them $3.

Now the turn card is dealt, but say it DOESN'T fill out our hero's flush or straight. Often, since they bet or raised in the previous round, everyone will check to them. Now, if they are last to act, they check too and get to see the river card without having had to call a bet. By putting in an extra $3 bet on the flop, they didn't have to call a $6 bet on the turn when their card didn't come. They get one more chance to make their hand, and saved $3 in the process.

09-19-2001, 01:15 PM
When a round of betting is checked, those who are favorites have "given a free card" (that's bad) and those that are underdogs have "taken a free card" (that's good).

There is considerable talk about "earning a free card" where one bets or raises on an early round in the hopes this will induce the next round to be checked around. This is most applicable with a draw with 2 cards to go, where you are more likely to make it with 2 cards to go on a cheap round than you are (if you miss) on the next more expensive round; such as raising with a draw in Holdem on the flop. These free cards should much more accurately labeled "cheap cards".

My lousy attitude towards "free cards" results in the following sarcastic observation: Those who earn a free card get a gold star even if they are the favorite. Those who try and fail and end up putting in the maximum amount of money with their underdog hands are the targets of bad luck.

- Louie