PDA

View Full Version : I have GMAIL invites...

Daniel Hoerr
01-19-2005, 01:11 PM
Anyone who'd like a Gmail Invite, please reply to this post. I have 9 available, so the first 9 replys here will get em.

Gmail has really changed my mind on email all together. I used to be of the mindset that webmail was worthless, going only with pop3 and good ol Outlook. Since I started using gmail I'll never go back.

Cheers,
Daniel
/images/graemlins/grin.gif

jakethebake
01-19-2005, 01:12 PM
wtf is Gmail?

Zoltri
01-19-2005, 01:16 PM
Daniel...yes, thank you.

M2d
01-19-2005, 01:18 PM
I'd like one.
thanks

Daniel Hoerr
01-19-2005, 01:18 PM
What is Gmail?
Gmail is a free webmail service from Google, the people who do the search engine. Like Hotmail, but tons better.

Why would I want Gmail?
There are lots of reasons. Gmail has a clean, easy interface, without any annoying banner ads. Gmail blocks spam. And gmail offers you 1 gigabyte of space for your emails: you'll never have to delete a message again.

Can I sign up for Gmail?
Not in a straightforward way. Google's still smoothing out the kinks, and isn't letting everyone register. The only way to get an account is to be invited by a Google employee, by certain current Gmail subscribers, or by certain "active" users of Blogger.

Why the rush?
For lots of people, there's no rush; they're happy with their email service. Some of us, however, are over-eager for Gmail's ease and elegance. Furthermore, we want to snag a good email address before the barbarians make it through the gates. Why settle for g_r_a_m_o_p_43fp@gmail.com when you could sneak in early and nab gramophone@gmail.com?

Also check this out. (http://gmail.google.com/gmail/help/about.html)

Rhone
01-19-2005, 01:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
wtf is Gmail?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, someone posted a similar offer in the Zoo a few days ago, and I still have no idea what Gmail is. And why is it so great?

Zoltri
01-19-2005, 01:21 PM
My e-mail is:

im_the_bookie@yahoo.com
Thanks again

Daniel Hoerr
01-19-2005, 01:22 PM
I need email addresses to send the invites to in your replies here.

Thanks,
Daniel

And no, don't start flaming me for email harvesting, if I wanted email addresses I'd sure hope to get more than 9!

ilya
01-19-2005, 01:23 PM
I like Gmail but the mailbox isn't large enough. I've already used up half of my gigabyte.

hackle
01-19-2005, 01:23 PM
I'd love one.

Thanks

Daniel Hoerr
01-19-2005, 01:26 PM
I agree, mine filled up pretty quickly. Bet then I went back and saved all my attachments to my local machine and wiped out those mails only and I've never had a problem since. I get a lot of attachments.

apd138
01-19-2005, 03:54 PM
If nine hasn't already been reached id be interested andrewdempsey123@hotmail.com

Daniel Hoerr
01-19-2005, 04:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If nine hasn't already been reached id be interested andrewdempsey123@hotmail.com

[/ QUOTE ]

Sent! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

***5 left***

Olof
01-19-2005, 04:32 PM
I would like one.

pokerolof@yahoo.co.uk

Daniel Hoerr
01-19-2005, 05:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I would like one.

pokerolof@yahoo.co.uk

[/ QUOTE ]

Sent.

Zoltri
01-19-2005, 05:37 PM
Hey, did you forget mine?
im_the_bookie@yahoo.com
thx

Daniel Hoerr
01-19-2005, 05:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hey, did you forget mine?
im_the_bookie@yahoo.com
thx

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, yours was the first one I sent. Keep checking your Yahoo mail, could be lagging? I've gotten confirmation that everyone else I've sent to has signed up, but not you.

Let me know later this evening if you still don't have it, I'll send another.

Cheers,
Daniel

Patrick del Poker Grande
01-19-2005, 05:52 PM
Isn't there some sort of Big Brother twist to GMail?

Daniel Hoerr
01-19-2005, 06:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Isn't there some sort of Big Brother twist to GMail?

[/ QUOTE ]

I imagine you're not asking a rhetorical question and then searching the internet (like I did) so I'll post my findings here to save you the 15 seconds. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

So six weeks ago, when Google described Gmail, the free e-mail service it is testing, the prevailing public reaction was shock. Google said that its software would place ads in your incoming messages, relevant to their contents.

It appeared to many people that Google had gone way beyond evil into Big Brother land. What could be more sinister than snooping through private correspondence looking for advertising opportunities?

Privacy advocates went ballistic.

Those reactions, as it turns out, are a tad overblown. In fact, no human ever looks at the Gmail e-mail. Computers do the scanning — dumbly, robotically and with no understanding of the words — just the way your current e-mail provider scans your messages for spam and viruses. The same kind of software also reads every word you type into Google or any other search page, tracks your shopping on Amazon, and so on.

Besides, if you are that kind of private, Gmail is the least of your worries. You’d better make sure that the people at credit-card companies, mail-order outfits and phone companies aren’t sitting in back rooms giggling at your monthly statements.

Still, you feel what you feel. If Gmail creeps you out, just don’t sign up.

It's actually rather cool. The "ads" in question are simple text ads way off to the right completely out of view unless you look for them (like Google adwords on their search page). It's amazing how much more likely I've found myself to click something when it's relevent...

manpower
01-19-2005, 06:06 PM
Hell, I've got a ton of invites. PM me if daniel runs out and you still want one.

Daniel Hoerr
01-19-2005, 06:32 PM
Only one left, but it looks like there are others who are willing to share too!

If you want my last one, PM me! /images/graemlins/smile.gif