PDA

View Full Version : meeting the bay area nerds

Ray Zee
01-19-2005, 09:31 AM
well i just got back from the bay area. i made it a point to meet up with whomever would talk to me. so i didnt really get to see too many of the players there.
i did round up j.a sucker, el diablo, and gift of gab for dinner one night. they insisted on eating at some steak house by the ball field. diablo's pick. food was good and the wine flowed nicely. they woudnt stop bugging me about old poker stories. what a bunch of lemons. after that it was a long(short) ride back to san jose with the sucker. he drives like he was in a race car.
we all met up again at the lucky chances no limit game later that week. gift of gab got in my game and i was worried with him on my left. we never took a flop so it was no event. i think he plays well even if i never saw him play a hnad. he has been hanging around with the sucker too much.
diablo was in the feeder game and played there until he got it headup with some guy and ground him out of a few chips. smartly on his part he didnt play with me as i have his number. he took his money and went to the bar.
as best as i could tell sucker just anteed all night long. i dont think i got to rob any of his blinds as he was in a bad spot for me.
Zeno appeared out of nowhere. he played in the big no limit game all night and with me for awhile, then we all headed to the bar. some stories and talk and back to san jose for me.
in san jose i played alot with the sucker. seemed i played alot more 40 80 than the 80 160 game. the 40 80 was so good i didnt want to leave when they called for the bigger game. so most times i just stayed there with the sucker. no real losing days during my stay at bay 101. the games were really good.

mike l.
01-19-2005, 01:15 PM
interesting post. whatever you do dont come to la the games here are horrible.

Gamblor
01-19-2005, 01:47 PM
Why are you playing for such (relatively) low stakes compared with some of your glory days, which are clearly clearly long gone?

J.A.Sucker
01-19-2005, 01:57 PM
You must not have read the post. The sucker was playing the 40-80 and 80-160. The sucker! In either event, these are the largest games in the bay area, anyways.

J_V
01-19-2005, 02:45 PM
He tried to start a $2,000-$4000 lowball draw game, but there just wasn't enough interest.

Noo Yawk
01-19-2005, 05:05 PM
Ray,

You need to write a book for the rest of us "lemons" on the good old days. There's no way El diablo, sucker or gift of gab deserve to hear these stories first hand while I'm left here in the cold, snowy weather, eagerly awaiting some crumb from the master. Even if my posts are mundane and uninformative, I'm still a paying customer! /images/graemlins/cool.gif

M2d
01-19-2005, 05:44 PM
Ray,
sorry I missed you this year, but I keep on telling you: bring your rods down and boris and I will get you into some fish. plus we could dine on 7-11 hotdogs and chili instead of that crap they pass off as food at LC's.

Turning Stone Pro
01-19-2005, 05:50 PM
From someone who hasn't played a hand of anything higher than 15-30 in his life.

TSP

Ulysses
01-19-2005, 05:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You need to write a book for the rest of us "lemons" on the good old days.

[/ QUOTE ]

This book would be amazing.

J.A.Sucker
01-19-2005, 06:22 PM
And you didn't even hear the best stories. All I can say is "wow." Good times, indeed.

theBruiser500
01-19-2005, 06:53 PM
Please write that book.

nolanfan34
01-19-2005, 07:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Please write that book.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your first comment was better. Please Ray, write the book as a favor to Bruiser.

TylerD
01-19-2005, 07:31 PM
If no book, how about an article for the next magazine?

Noo Yawk
01-19-2005, 07:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You need to write a book for the rest of us "lemons" on the good old days.

[/ QUOTE ]

This book would be amazing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no doubt about that. Perhaps you and Sucker could convince him that his audience for this would be large and eager.

Noo Yawk
01-19-2005, 07:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
And you didn't even hear the best stories. All I can say is "wow." Good times, indeed.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm so freakin' jealous I could puke. /images/graemlins/mad.gif

Gamblor
01-19-2005, 07:40 PM
Real nice comment

Definition (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=1568949&page=0&view=c ollapsed&sb=5&o=14&vc=1)

who hasn't played a hand of anything higher than 15-30 in his life

Check it out, I play Limit Hold em! (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=1567856&page=0&view=c ollapsed&sb=5&o=14&fpart=1)

[ QUOTE ]
Diplomat and I, regular mid-high limit (15/30 and 30/60 online, 20-40 thru 75-150 live) winning players, recently got into a discussion about bankroll mismanagement.

[/ QUOTE ]

Before you even ask it, I keep immaculate records. Trust me. Immaculate. I am obnoxiously religious about it.

Does the floor ever hassle you about that giant chip on your shoulder?

Noo Yawk
01-19-2005, 07:54 PM
you need to write a no-limit book as well. I need a book on the good old days and a no-limit bible. Hell, just babble into a tape recorder and let Mason sort it out! /images/graemlins/cool.gif
C'mon man, you know this is the right time for it, and especially with the audience you have here. PLEASE /images/graemlins/grin.gif!!

jen
01-19-2005, 08:56 PM
You should feel special that all these guys went up to LC just to play with you-- Gab only plays with me once in every blue moon (stakes are so small in B&M!), and El D. never plays with me at all (too many social obligations on Friday nights apparently).

Sorry I missed you... maybe in '06.

Zeno
01-20-2005, 12:05 AM
It was indeed a pleasure for me to meet everyone. I wish we had more time to just sit and chat and tell stories. I never even got a chance to lie about my Alaska adventures or start a tangential misanthropic rant. Ray's poker stories are unique and striking, plus his perspective on the game of poker is impeccable.

Now that I finally broke the ice, I plan on coming to the Bay Area again for a little poker and to visit my lone relative that lives nearby. Indeed, I give a standing offer that the next time I head up - Dinner is on me. El Diablo can chose the restaurant. Or another, perhaps better alternative, is that we can play a $500 buy in, duce to seven no-limit lowball freeze out (two $10 blinds, one on the button) and the winner pays for dinner.

Anyway, I’m shedding my reclusive ways somewhat so I look forward to seeing the young guns of the Bay Area again sometime. Not to mentioned Mr. Zee.

-Zeno

Zeno
01-20-2005, 12:23 AM
It would be important, I think, for Mr. Zee to write up some memorabilia. If those recollections where eventually made into a book, however, it would probably have to be published posthumously. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

-Zeno

Zeno
01-20-2005, 12:25 AM
I do not want Ray to write a book about no-limit. He has much more important things to do anyway, or at least; I hope he does.

-Zeno

andyfox
01-20-2005, 12:56 AM
mike is right. listen to him. please.

Ray Zee
01-20-2005, 01:20 AM
mike, i plan on getting to l.a. soon i hope. but you might be saved as i am after that 200 400 stud game. but who knows where i land as i pick whatever stakes and game feels right. see ya. i heard some good things about you from the boys.

Ray Zee
01-20-2005, 01:22 AM
m2d and jen, sorry i didnt find you this year but hope to next year. have a good one.

Ray Zee
01-20-2005, 01:28 AM
glad to meet you also zeno. it was a real pleasure. next time dinner for sure as well. as long as you can keep your dribbel off your shirt.

mike l.
01-20-2005, 01:54 AM
that 1-2 stud game is just sick looking, so good and i have no clue how to play stud really, tons of action in that game. there was a pretty good looking 3-6 hold em game going today but snakehead said no it's not worth the time.

looking forward to meeting you.

Ray Zee
01-20-2005, 03:41 AM
when i come i will gravitate towards stud of course. and probably just follow where snakehead goes as that should be the best game. but i like no limit so much i bet thats where ill park. it would be an honor to meet you mike. winning big isnt important, as playing where i am happy nowadays.

M2d
01-20-2005, 04:14 AM
Ray,
we've had decent winter precipitation thus far, which means the rivers will be in good shape come summer and fall. good for the trout. good for the stripers. with any luck and a warm spring, schoolie stripers should be chasing clousers around the carquinez strait by march, and should be within five minutes of LC's by june. bring a 10 wt. and waders. I'll tie the flies.

snakehead
01-20-2005, 06:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i heard some good things about you from the boys.

[/ QUOTE ]

sometimes the boys are full of crap.

Lawrence Ng
01-20-2005, 08:48 AM
Ray, please let me know when you head down to LA. I'd like to make a trip down there myself as well. I was suppose to in October, but never got around to it. It will be a pleasure to meet you and finally buckle heads with Mike in the infamous 1-2 game.

Lawrence.

J.A.Sucker
01-20-2005, 12:53 PM
sssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh.

PGarlic
01-21-2005, 01:55 AM
It was fun playing with you Ray, even if it was just for a few hours.I had more fun playing next to you when I didn't know who you were, after I found out I got nervice /images/graemlins/confused.gif, oh well. I hope to play with you next time you come down, hope you're flopping the nuts in Montana.

01-21-2005, 11:19 AM
Eeeeew I feel the need to become part of this group scene.

mike l.
01-21-2005, 03:49 PM
here's a little no limit action i saw last night to whet your appetite:

the big no limit game (20-40 blinds i think, average stack between $5k-$10k, no familiar faces). the board on the river is KKQ-Q-3. first guy checks, next guy bets one pink chip ($5000), first guy deliberates oh about 3 seconds and says "i call". next guy says nice call and taps table. first guy shows AQ and rakes in the pot.

Sponger15SB
01-21-2005, 04:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
there was a pretty good looking 3-6 hold em game going today but snakehead said no it's not worth the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

really? i'll be sneeking into commerce on sunday afternoon to play the 3-6 game.

.....wait just a second.....are we talking about the same 3-6 game /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Ulysses
01-21-2005, 05:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
here's a little no limit action i saw last night to whet your appetite:

the big no limit game (20-40 blinds i think, average stack between $5k-$10k, no familiar faces). the board on the river is KKQ-Q-3. first guy checks, next guy bets one pink chip ($5000), first guy deliberates oh about 3 seconds and says "i call". next guy says nice call and taps table. first guy shows AQ and rakes in the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Last time I was down there, I probably saw 10 hands w/ similar sized pots that made this one look ordinary.