PDA

View Full Version : I've quit raising preflop with face cards

sublyme
01-19-2005, 04:42 AM
Ok, first I need to just rant.

Tonight it became my 5th or so straight home game loss. It was an 11 man tourney, and I eliminated 6 or 7 of them. I was playing really well tonight, and eventually found myself big stack with three people left. Winner took all, second got their buy-in back. Through the course of the game, I hit swings; I would steal blinds to become big stack, I would win big pots, and I'd drop a few as well, including one lovely one where some guy doubled up on quads. The main problem was that they tightened up really bad, so whenever I tried for a push with a decent hand or made a decent bet I was folded to. I got KK 4 times tonight, and they never paid off for me other than getting blinds and what not. [censored], I know I'm playing well, I'm just on a shitty bad streak. Eventually the other guy called me all in, I had QTh, and I decided it was time to [censored] or get off the pot. He had ATo and hit his A and T, I hit no hearts, thus knocking me out and making all my tourney time worthless.

Ok, so enough of my ranting. I've quit raising preflop with hands like AQ, KT, AT, and all that because I keep getting sucked out. I miss the flop and take a stab at it, and wind up losing it.

Question - am I right to start limping with suited and unsuited face cards? I limped a lot tonight on KJd and hands like that, and when they hit I'd make a substantial bet and clean up. Do you think I should quit being afraid of missing the flop and keep to raising preflop to weed out draws? I've missed AQ, both s and o, about 7 times now in the past 5 home games, and I'm really just fed up with investing chips and losing them to bad flops. I'm obviously not going to lay down these hands, but I just need to know, is it wrong for me to consider limping these hands from here on out? Not talking about AK and premium pockets, of course.

Sorry if this post is [censored] weird, but I'm tired, I'm pissed that I did most of the tourney elimination work tonight, and I just wish I had finished in the damn money.

sublyme
01-19-2005, 09:08 PM
bump

BradleyT
01-19-2005, 09:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've quit raising preflop with hands like AQ, KT

[/ QUOTE ]

KT isn't even playable except in rare situations.

Kaz The Original
01-19-2005, 10:02 PM
"They tightened up"
"I've quit raising"

Out of context? Or straight to the heart of the matter?

sublyme
01-19-2005, 10:05 PM
The first part isn't really related to the heart of the post, I just wanted to lament how I played so long last night only to finish out of the money.

In general, I've begun limping with these hands instead of raising with them. Yea or nay?

lostinthought
01-19-2005, 10:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Ok, so enough of my ranting. I've quit raising preflop with hands like AQ, KT, AT, and all that because I keep getting sucked out.

[/ QUOTE ]

This statement is unintelligible because well...

if you want to know, you'll find out.

Jordan
01-19-2005, 10:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Eventually the other guy called me all in, I had QTh, and I decided it was time to [censored] or get off the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

QT is a trash hand, and should only be pushed with when the blinds are huge, and you are extremely shortstacked and shorthanded... if even then.

[ QUOTE ]
I've quit raising preflop with hands like AQ, KT, AT, and all that because I keep getting sucked out.

[/ QUOTE ]

The only one of those hands that I could even consider a legitimate raising hand is AQ and even that is questionable, unless shorthanded or from late position. The other hands are pure garbage hands, and if you don't hit the flop hard you should give up the hand without reads on your opponents.

I'm no expert myself, and I'm learning more every day as I read these forums, but I suspect you are too loose, and too committed once you enter a pot. The rest of these forums are a treasure-trove of info, but I think you would be well advised to pick up a good book like hold'em poker for advanced players or in your case championship no limit/pot limit poker by tj cloutier and tom mcevoy. that will put the quality of your hands into perspective.

tbach24
01-19-2005, 11:28 PM
If you're late in a tourney, I prefer raising with suited connecters as opposed to aces and kings with crappy kickers. Ten is crappy. You will most likely have different cards if he calls and if he raises you make the same play as if you had KT or AT, fold.