PDA

View Full Version : Backup Software for Computer

RED_RAIN
01-19-2005, 04:21 AM
I looked at a bunch of reviews, but anything that CNET approves, the user reviews seem to bash.

I got an external 160 gig hard drive to back up my 60 gig hard drive.

There actually aren't a ton of things I super care about, but since I have the space, backing up everything would be a nice option.

I would also like to be able to back up what's been changed only so it doesn't take forever.

Anyone have software they have used and approve?

scotnt73
01-19-2005, 08:50 AM
i just use norton ghost and make an exact copy onto the other drive. i do this for my pc at home and i keep the hd in the closet. every couple of weeks i bring out the backup hd and re-ghost. if your pc ever blows up just but a new hd and then ghost back onto it and your pc is up and running with the exact image of your lack ghost.

kenberman
01-19-2005, 09:15 AM
does norton ghost also backup installed programs? IE do you need to install all your poker room programs on the new harddrive?

Also, will this work backing up my laptop hardrive onto my new desktop hardrive, if I hook the two up via a router?

scotnt73
01-19-2005, 08:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
does norton ghost also backup installed programs? IE do you need to install all your poker room programs on the new harddrive?

Also, will this work backing up my laptop hardrive onto my new desktop hardrive, if I hook the two up via a router?

[/ QUOTE ]

norton ghost makes the second hard drive exactly like the original. so if your hard drive crashes you just pop in the ghosted one and its exactly like the original. you have to reghost every week or 2 because if your ghost is 6 months old and your hard drive crashes then obviously when you plug in the backed up hard drive it will be exactly like your original was 6 months ago.

to use ghost i put ghost.exe from the cd onto a floppy and unplug my data cable from my cd rom into my second hard drive. then i just boot up and tell ghost to copy hd a to hd b. this gives me an exact copy. at this point i choose which hd is smaller and put it up. i plug in the other hd. i then plug back in my cd rom and remove the floppy from the drive and boot up. it takes 10 minutes and your done.

as far as hard drives go there is an adapter that you can buy that plugs into your data cable on your pc that allows you to plug in a laptop hard drive to your pc just like a regular hard drive. then you can do the same process except when your laptop hard drive crashes you can order a new one and then take the regular pc hard drive out of your closet that has the image on it and ghost it onto your new laptop hard drive.

Leo99
01-19-2005, 08:53 PM
I like that idea. I use Nero and backup onto DVDs but it's not a real fast process. In fact, I don't do it as often as I should cause it's so slow.