PDA

View Full Version : when to defend blind?

Laughingboy
01-19-2005, 02:16 AM
Is KTs a reasonable hand to call a modest raise from the bb? Raiser utg, 5 callers, early in tourney (level 1), raise of 3bb

Perhaps I shouldn't be thinking about defending blinds at all so early, but the odds seemed good enough to look at the flop to me. My more experienced friend says no, though. Opinions?

raptor517
01-19-2005, 02:20 AM
you are right, you shouldnt even be thinking about defending this early /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Creeper_thp
01-19-2005, 02:42 AM
With this many people in, and this big of a pot, you're going to need an almost perfect flop, because it's incredibly unlikely you're going to see the turn cheaply, let alone for free. Say you flop a 4-flush, it's most likely someone else hit AT LEAST top pair and there's no way they're letting you see that turn. So unless you flop 2 pair or better, you're folding. Save your chips for a better spot.

Laughingboy
01-19-2005, 02:44 AM
Yep, I need to save those "odds" notions for limit /images/graemlins/wink.gif I should go reread my McEvoy NL book, it seems. Thanks.

Scuba Chuck
01-19-2005, 09:42 AM
Reading McEvoy would help. But reading 2+2 is better. There is a pivotal concept that you are failing to grasp in the grander scheme of things that will give you confidence why you should fold this hand.

Laughingboy
01-19-2005, 06:23 PM
Well don't keep me in suspense. To which pivotal concept are you referring?

On a related note, can anyone recommend a place to read up on estimating implied odds in NL? I see lots of comments here (e.g. "the type of hand that won't raise you probably won't push later") that essential boil down to implied odds issues.

-S.

Mouse1949
01-19-2005, 06:55 PM
I'm also eager to learn the "pivotal concept."

In the meanwhile---with a wad of players in front of you, you are not "defending a blind." Those guys are out there with the intention of hitting the flop, and in aggregate at least they have the best of it. KT must fold.

Bigdaddydvo
01-19-2005, 07:00 PM
You'd actually be better off defending w/a hand that's going to give you the right implied odds, like a small pair or suited connector. KTs has too many opportunities to be dominated. Pick another spot.

sofere
01-19-2005, 07:11 PM
The "pivotal concept" is the Gap Concept. In a nutshell, you need a better hand to call a raise than you do to for you to raise. With KT, your begging to make the second best hand and payout to the better hand. The only 2 flops i'd be very comfortable playing with that many people that early in the tourney with bad position is AQJ rainbow and KKT.

Laughingboy
01-20-2005, 01:06 AM
No? Not 2s 7s 9s? it was suited, after all /images/graemlins/wink.gif j/k.

I am aware of the gap concept. I just wonder when it must be set aside because the pot is large. Perhaps never, or very rarely, early in a NL sng.

In any case, I always knew this was a questionable play. Now I'm convinced it's horrible. Thanks for the help.

I'd still like a to see general treatise on how to consider implied odds in NL, though.

Cheers,
Sean

Xhiggy
01-20-2005, 01:43 AM
I'm surprised by all the responses so far.
given the blinds are 10/15, UTG raise to 45, and a handful of callers, (I'll assume starting stack size is 1000), calling the extra 30 isn't a bad move at all. you just have to play it very carefully. you're playing it to hit a flop you can trap on the flop, or for an excellent draw with odds.

the reason I'd perhaps lean to a fold is because the folding option requires less delicate play afterwards, and I most likely won't have detailed reads on all those involved, making it a much harder hand to play.

deedbr
01-20-2005, 02:51 AM
With the poor position I would be folding this hand also.

The only "pivotal concept" that I can think of is that those chips would be better served for stealing blinds later on.

Deedbr

ilya
01-20-2005, 03:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm surprised by all the responses so far.
given the blinds are 10/15, UTG raise to 45, and a handful of callers, (I'll assume starting stack size is 1000), calling the extra 30 isn't a bad move at all. you just have to play it very carefully. you're playing it to hit a flop you can trap on the flop, or for an excellent draw with odds.

[/ QUOTE ]

Calling IS bad...

you're out of position
your hand is easily dominated
the stacks are shallow (don't assume 1000, this is likely a low-buying Party tournament with 800 starting chips)

KT(s) is essentially worthless except as a semi-bluffing/stealing hand in the middle/late stages.