PDA

View Full Version : No burn cards: need ruling

Toopskees
01-19-2005, 01:46 AM
This situation came up tonight in a single table tournament at our local club. Two players (other than the blinds) were all-in before the flop. The blinds both folded. After the board cards were all out and the winning hand was identified, we realized that the dealer had forgotten to burn any cards. In other words, the board contained the top 5 cards off the top of the deck.

What is the ruling here? Play it as it stands and award the pot to the highest hand showing? Dead hand with everyone (including the blinds) getting their chips back? Split pot between the two players left in the hand? Try to reconstruct the correct hand by counting back and burning the appropriate cards? Other solution?

Caruso329
01-19-2005, 02:05 AM
Another solution would be to declare the board dead, reshuffle it back into the deck and redeal a new board. Not sure on the legality of this though, just a suggestion.

Lottery Larry
01-19-2005, 11:01 AM
Once there is action, the burn cards don't matter.

Fins
01-19-2005, 11:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Once there is action, the burn cards don't matter.

[/ QUOTE ]
I thought it was after two players have acted...

I'm going with hands stand as played disgruntled players & all.

- Fins

MeridianFC
01-19-2005, 12:06 PM
I believe the rule is to take the play back to the last correct action. I'll look to see if there is confirmation of this elsewhere (Robert's etc.).

Since the last correct action was two players betteing all in preflop with the rest of the field folding, I'd take the action there (only the two all in hands live) and shuffle, redeal the board with correct burn cards. There are some complicated scenarios involving making the up cards that would've been burned dead, but I don't think that's the way to go (i.e the first & fifth cards of the board is dead since they should have been the burn cards; cards 2-4 should've been the flop).

This is only good if you have not already started dealing the next hand, in which case the action stands.

I just popped over to Robert's Rules and this one ain't in there.

splashpot
01-19-2005, 01:28 PM
The only reason for burn cards is in case the top card is marked in some way. If one player knew how a certain card was marked, it would give him an obvious advantage. Since both players were all in before the flop, the burn cards become inconsequential.

dakine
01-19-2005, 01:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The only reason for burn cards is in case the top card is marked in some way. If one player knew how a certain card was marked, it would give him an obvious advantage. Since both players were all in before the flop, the burn cards become inconsequential.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. Burn or don't burn. That's why printed rules are important. The cards are burned at most of the home games I play in is because, "Thats what we were taught." Redeal only if your rules say so.