PDA

View Full Version : Most anticipated video games of 2005

ilya
01-19-2005, 01:39 AM
What games are you really looking forward to this year?

Some games I'm excited about are Final Fantasy XII, Freedom Force vs. Third Reich, Stalker, THE LONGEST JOURNEY 2 (hell yeah!), Xenosaga II, Digital Devil Saga, Super Monkey Ball Deluxe for the PS2 (only because I don't have a Cube anymore), the new Time Splitters, err, I think that's enough for now.

I like games.

pshreck
01-19-2005, 01:41 AM
Final Fantasy XII will own me. I honestly put maybe 200 hours of my life into X.

FeliciaLee
01-19-2005, 01:54 AM
Mario or DK anything?

Those are the only ones I can still beat, lol.

Dang, I'm old.

Felicia /images/graemlins/smile.gif

ilya
01-19-2005, 01:56 AM
Much respect for Nintendo, however I don't have a Gamecube...hence no Ninty games on my list.

ChoicestHops
01-19-2005, 02:02 AM
Im not really sure. I dont play videogames as much as I used to anymore. I really only buy the epic games these days, like Final Fantasy series. I'll get the new Halo. Most games these days can't hold my attention, and I never complete them.

Thythe
01-19-2005, 02:03 AM
The next Zelda on Gamecube is much anticipated.

ChoicestHops
01-19-2005, 02:04 AM
I'll finally get a gamecube for RE4 and the new Zelda.

ilya
01-19-2005, 02:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'll finally get a gamecube for RE4 and the new Zelda.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh yeah, RE4...damn...I may have to shell out for a Cube after all. I was really impressed with the demo.

Thythe
01-19-2005, 02:08 AM
5-10 years ago I would complete every game I got to 100%. Case in point was Goldeneye getting every single cheat, level, etc. Nowadays there are only a few single player games that I have enough patience for to do that. Zelda is certainly one of those.

rusellmj
01-19-2005, 02:11 AM
Alas, Papyrus is not making PC games anymore and there will be no NASCAR Racing 2005. It will forever be NR03 and the occasional Project Wildfire update.:(
Russ

ChoicestHops
01-19-2005, 02:12 AM
I think it's the fact that I have lost a huge interest in video games in general. For me to finish a game these days it has to have an epic story, that's the main thing.

I have not finished a GTA game. They may be the most innovative games of this generation but to me it just isnt epic. The Final Fantasy's always have excellent stories, which brings me into the game.

I have to be brought into the experience and feel the game, just not play a game because Im bored and it's fun.

IsaacW
01-20-2005, 02:16 AM
Gran Turismo 4, and it's not even close.

ilya
01-20-2005, 02:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Meh
Burnout and especially Project Gotham Racing 1 are funner IMO than any of the Gran Turismo games. GT inhabits that barren no man's land between "arcade" and "sim."

Corey
01-20-2005, 02:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It has come to the point that I longer look at its release date. I will believe the game exists only when I can see it. That being said, I second the not even close.

Tron
01-20-2005, 05:29 AM
I'm just guessing that there will be another addition to the GTA series. And that will be sick as hell.

Sheriff Fatman
01-20-2005, 06:34 AM
For me, KOTORII (not out till Feb in the UK) and Resident Evil 4.

Sheriff

Lazymeatball
01-20-2005, 09:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

xadrez
01-20-2005, 10:09 AM
Im definately buying a Gamecube (currently only own an Xbox) when the new Zelda comes out...

For Xbox, Im looking forward to Jade Empire the most.

Im playing Mercenaries right now, and its a good one. Its kind of like a military version of Grand Theft Auto, except the physics in the game are so much better and you can destroy anything on the map!

ThaSaltCracka
01-20-2005, 11:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]its probably this.

Kingdom Hearts 2 is suppose to be coming out soon too, and I know I am eagerly awaiting that game.

A_C_Slater
01-20-2005, 12:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
For me, KOTORII (not out till Feb in the UK) and Resident Evil 4.

Sheriff

[/ QUOTE ]

Ha. I've already finished KOTOR2 here in America. It is good. Metal Gear Solid 3 is damn good. I can't wait for Final Fantasy XII and I hate the idea that I might have to buy a whole gamecube just to play Resident evil 4. But unfortunatley for me, besides the Final Fantasy series, Resident evil is my favorite franchise.

A_C_Slater
01-20-2005, 12:15 PM
I like the GTA games, but I have never even completed 50% of one of them. They seem to get old. Fast.

Patrick del Poker Grande
01-20-2005, 12:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I hate the idea that I might have to buy a whole gamecube just to play Resident evil 4.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, but you can also play Zelda and of course MarioKart. Either one alone is enough to buy the system. Get Pikmin 2 too.

AngryCola
01-20-2005, 12:29 PM
2005 is going to be kind of a let down after the plethora of great games that came out in 04. But I think you guys have narrowed down the list to a few of the top prospects.

GT 4
The new Zelda (is it really coming this year?)
The new FF (really.. this year? Awesome!)

And for some people.. Kingdom Hearts 2.

Beyond those games, it's going to be a pretty damn slow year for the game industry as a whole. There should be a lot of news about the next gen. consoles in a few months though. That should prove to be the most interesting thing to "come out" about gaming in 05.

It's a good thing that 04 was so busy. I will still be trying to finish all the great 04 games by the time 06 rolls around.

Patrick del Poker Grande
01-20-2005, 12:38 PM
I think there's going to be a lotta hoopla about the handheld games - the Nintendo DS just came out and Sony's PSP is coming out soon, no? I remember when the Game Gear was out - I had one, but I think the PSP is going to offer up real competition this time and Nintendo may be in trouble soon.

AngryCola
01-20-2005, 12:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think there's going to be a lotta hoopla about the handheld games - the Nintendo DS just came out and Sony's PSP is coming out soon, no? I remember when the Game Gear was out - I had one, but I think the PSP is going to offer up real competition this time and Nintendo may be in trouble soon.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great point. I forgot about the whole DS vs PSP thing.
I've been hearing that the PSP has some of the same problems the old Game Gear had. You know what I mean if you've owned one.

6 batteries and 2 hours of gaming.
After that, the batteries are dead.

I don't know if this is actually true about the PSP. I'm unsure of the number of batteries it requires. It may only be 4 batteries.
Still, I've heard a lot of people talking about the PSP's short battery life.

I guess we shall see in the near future. Here's hoping that it fares better than the Game Gear in the battery department.

I'm sure it will sell better than the Game Gear. Sony has a whole mess of companies developing games for PSP. Sega certainly did not have as much dev. support as Sony does these days.

Shajen
01-20-2005, 12:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Just wait til my "Slaughter the 5 Year Olds" hand held game comes out in 2006. Nintendo ain't got nothing on me.

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

ThaSaltCracka
01-20-2005, 12:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] I am on the fence about this game. I am sure it will be a great game, but I don't know if I'll have the time for this game.

A_C_Slater
01-20-2005, 12:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] I am on the fence about this game. I am sure it will be a great game, but I don't know if I'll have the time for this game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Too much work to do in OOT, huh?

AngryCola
01-20-2005, 12:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I am on the fence about this game. I am sure it will be a great game, but I don't know if I'll have the time for this game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I know what you mean.

For me, between poker and trying to play all the great games from 04, I don't really have very much time for some of the "marginal" games that will be coming out. I have to stick to the top notch titles.

Who knows, maybe KH2 will be one of them?
I'll wait for the reviews.

Patrick del Poker Grande
01-20-2005, 12:56 PM
The batteries were a pain in the as in the Game Gear. I remember the thing being just huge, at least when I was a small kid (I was in 6th grade when I saved up for [censored] ever to buy it - and then my sister got one for Christmas a month or two later). Then you could buy an external battery pack that plugged into it. The battery pack was damn near bigger than the Game Gear itself was. Still though, the system was great - I don't know how many hours I spent playing Mortal Kombat and Rad Racer.

The real key to a dominating system is the games. Sony and Microsoft understand this and are very agressive in getting their exclusive games and it's exactly how the PlayStation has gotten to be what it is. It's exactly why Sega failed and why I see Nintendo going down the drain now that they're going to have real competition in their now core area of handhelds, although I think they'll always have the young kid niche. I wish Nintendo would buck up and compete for more GTA, GT, Mercenaries type games. I'm pissed they don't have the latest Star Wars game - what the [censored] is that? Nintendo usually got all the Star Wars games.

ThaSaltCracka
01-20-2005, 12:58 PM
I am pretty sure KH2 won't be a marginal game. It should be very good.

AngryCola
01-20-2005, 01:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It's exactly why Sega failed and why I see Nintendo going down the drain now that they're going to have real competition in their now core area of handhelds, although I think they'll always have the young kid niche

[/ QUOTE ]

Nintendo will fight to the end, but I think you're right. It's really kind of sad.

BUT!

I think you will see Nintendo go the same direction as Sega in about 4-7 years. We will still get the few great titles Nintendo holds the rights to (Zelda, Metroid, Mario, etc.), but they wil be played on Microsoft or Sony systems.

Honestly, I think Sega tried harder to stay afloat than Ninendo is trying now. The Dreamcast was a great system, and they didn't have the "kiddie" stigma that Nintendo is still dealing with. It was just overlooked by people who had already given up on Sega (including the developers). It was a case of "too little, too late".

[ QUOTE ]
I'm pissed they don't have the latest Star Wars game - what the [censored] is that? Nintendo usually got all the Star Wars games.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which Star Wars game? Nintendo only had the exclusive rights to a few of the Star Wars titles.

I'm currently trying to fly through Knights of the Old Republic: 2. I think that's one of the latest Star Wars games to be realeased (mid Dec). Nintendo didn't have the first KOTOR either. KOTOR is probably the best Star Wars game to ever be developed. There are a few of the older PC Star Wars games that could challenge KOTOR's title, but no other recent SW games can hold a candle to KOTOR.

Patrick del Poker Grande
01-20-2005, 01:09 PM
I had a Dreamcast too. The system was great, but they didn't have any games for it. It's so wrong to see Sonic on a Nintendo system. It's going to be even worse to see Mario or Zelda on a PSX. Besides that, once this all goes down, I see maybe one or two Mario/Zelda games on the other systems and then they'll just die. It's sad.

ilya
01-20-2005, 02:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
2005 is going to be kind of a let down after the plethora of great games that came out in 04. But I think you guys have narrowed down the list to a few of the top prospects.

GT 4
The new Zelda (is it really coming this year?)
The new FF (really.. this year? Awesome!)

[/ QUOTE ]

FFXII will come out, but Zelda, I'm guessing, will get delayed.
I don't think that's anywhere near the whole list...but maybe for more casual gamers that's about right.
Except....is there something I don't know about the Kingdom Hearts sequel? Because the first game, except for that melody that the trailer used, just plain sucked. If you wanna play a decent action RPG, play Dark Cloud 2...not KH.

ilya
01-20-2005, 02:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
KOTOR is probably the best Star Wars game to ever be developed. There are a few of the older PC Star Wars games that could challenge KOTOR's title, but no other recent SW games can hold a candle to KOTOR.

[/ QUOTE ]

TIE Fighter...*still* so good....

I agree, though, KOTOR is great. Were you a Fallout fan?

AngryCola
01-20-2005, 03:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
TIE Fighter...*still* so good...

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, TIE Fighter was one of the games I was referring to. There's one other old SW PC game that happens to be very good, but I forget the name of it.

[ QUOTE ]
Were you a Fallout fan?

[/ QUOTE ]

Can't say that I was. I've never played it. /images/graemlins/blush.gif

AngryCola
01-20-2005, 03:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think that's anywhere near the whole list...but maybe for more casual gamers that's about right.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see it that way. I've been considered a "hardcore" gamer for many years. But the way I always get to play the top games is because I'll ONLY play the cream of the crop.
I just don't have enough time for all the 80% titles.

Especially considering that I'm a big RPG fan.
Those games take a lot of time to finish.

I still remember being glazed over for about a week or two while playing Morrowind and/or all the FF games.

Bubbagump
01-20-2005, 03:19 PM
The only game I am really pumped about so far for 2005 is Forza Motorsport.

I also hear good things about Brothers in Arms and will probably pick this up as well.

Bubbagump

KJS
01-20-2005, 03:25 PM
The world's best soccer game FINALLY comes to Xbox. With Xbox Live. I cannot wait for this game. It is the best sports game ever, by a wide margin, IMO. Out on Feb 5th.

I haven't played it much since I wiled away nights at the video game shops in Chiang Mai playing WE 7 on PS2 and the Xbox version has been out in the UK for a while, so I am afraid I will get crushed on Live. I will still live on there for a bit after this comes out.

Anyone play WE8 on Xbox live already?

KJS

BeantownCaller
01-21-2005, 01:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It has come to the point that I longer look at its release date. I will believe the game exists only when I can see it. That being said, I second the not even close.

[/ QUOTE ]

I concur on all counts but when I'm bored at work I still go to all of the online video game stores to see if any of them have different release dates /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I don't own a PS2 but I have already decided I will go out and purchase one along with the $150 900* logitec wheel.

I SIMPLY CANNOT WAIT!

I also bought some gorgeous recaro/porsche 928 seats to put in my GTI come spring time, and I'm thinking of making a little frame for it to sit right infront of my TV and hold the wheel and stuff /images/graemlins/wink.gif

I'm such a dork but I figure if I can handle working 8 hours a day then I should be able to play GT4 for 8 hours a day when it comes out, boy howdy!

ilya
01-21-2005, 01:25 AM
I've heard good things about the WE games....what makes them better than FIFA, in your opinion?

ilya
01-21-2005, 01:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Were you a Fallout fan?

[/ QUOTE ]

Can't say that I was. I've never played it. /images/graemlins/blush.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Definitely worth checking out if you don't mind somewhat old-school isometric 3-D graphics (the original's from the late 90s). You can probably find both the original Fallout and the sequel for free if you poke around. Same developers as KOTOR.

ilya
01-21-2005, 01:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]

I still remember being glazed over for about a week or two while playing Morrowind and/or all the FF games.

[/ QUOTE ]

Aaaahhh...Elder Scrolls. I remember playing Arena on my 486 back in the day. They still haven't managed to make combat very fun, but just exploring in Morrowind could be breathtaking.

AngryCola
01-21-2005, 02:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Same developers as KOTOR.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bioware has done some good stuff. I liked the Bauldur's Gate series.

ilya
01-21-2005, 02:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, and Icewind Dale and Planescape:Torment were great too.

vulturesrow
01-21-2005, 02:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

IMO, Planescape was possibly one of the greatest PC games of all time. I still have it.

ilya
01-21-2005, 02:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

IMO, Planescape was possibly one of the greatest PC games of all time. I still have it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Definitely. I think I pulled an all-nighter to finish that game.

KJS
01-21-2005, 03:11 PM
They are a labor of love for one Japanese developer who allegedly ate, slept and drank the idea of making the best football sim ever. I think it does a few things better than FIFA. First, it puts in a more realistic margin for error. When I first starting playing FIFA 2004 on the 2nd hardest level (can't remember the name) I quickly figured out I could run down the flank, use the pinpoint cross button to pick out my forward in the box, put in a cross that he would take down on his chest with ease, pivot and score a goal. Too easy. I never found such an easy goal playing WE. The passes are not always spot on, the tackling is not always spot on (a big complaint about FIFA, IMO is that tackling is too easy), and neither is the shooting. Basically you have to work hard as a team to get into good scoring opportunities, much like the real game. I like that in my sports games.

The only potential downside for FIFA players is that I don't think WE has a license for EPL, so the uniforms and players faces might not be actual. That and I doubt it has the killer graphics of other Xbox games since it was not developed for the Xbox. I could be wrong on both accounts though.

stabn
01-21-2005, 04:58 PM
I'm not sure if anyone mentioned it yet or not, but Age of Empires III is coming out this fall.

Patrick del Poker Grande
01-21-2005, 05:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure if anyone mentioned it yet or not, but Age of Empires III is coming out this fall.

[/ QUOTE ]
Are you shitting me? Oh man I'm in trouble.

ilya
01-21-2005, 05:12 PM
I can't believe more of you aren't excited about this game...

http://www.stalker-game.com/

Patrick del Poker Grande
01-21-2005, 05:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I can't believe more of you aren't excited about this game...

http://www.stalker-game.com/

[/ QUOTE ]
No. I now live only for Age of Empire III.

stabn
01-21-2005, 05:32 PM
http://www.ensemblestudios.com

http://www.ensemblestudios.com/age3images/Age3Screenshot5-700.jpg

Patrick del Poker Grande
01-21-2005, 05:36 PM
Oh my aching ass this is unreal. I am seriously all excited for this game. Why did I have to know about it a full 3/4 of a year (probably more) before it gets released? This is hell.

stabn
01-21-2005, 05:38 PM
Because this thread existed.

ilya
01-21-2005, 05:56 PM
http://www.stalker-game.com/download/gallery/screenshots/middle/sb_xray_42.jpg

Lazymeatball
01-21-2005, 07:29 PM
wow, i love AOE, but I can't wait for GT4. this posts adds nothing.

jennicide
01-22-2005, 08:16 AM
I can't wait until FFXII comes out!!! Also, Kingdom Hearts 2 looks really cool. There's this game that was supposed to come out on xbox called True Fantasy Online. It's another MMORPG and looks awesome. They keep pushing back the release date though /images/graemlins/frown.gif

jennicide
01-22-2005, 08:26 AM
http://media.teamxbox.com/games/ss/477/1064678698.jpg

I hope the game comes out soon /images/graemlins/frown.gif It looks awesome!

Phoenix1010
01-22-2005, 09:11 AM
True Fantasy Live was canceled, unfourtunately. Did look cool though, maybe they'll dig it up sometime.

Phoenix1010
01-22-2005, 09:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Morrowind... so good. Never beat it though, despite having a godlike character. Too many sidequests.

Phoenix1010
01-22-2005, 09:27 AM
On second thought, lets hope it doesn't come out. MMORPG's are the devil. I would be a much more successful poker player if FFXI was never created...

jennicide
01-22-2005, 09:28 AM
Start a petition? !!! I wanna play it !!!

jennicide
01-22-2005, 09:32 AM
lol...imagine...a MMORPG where you could play poker...instead of just an online cardroom...you create your 'character' and wire funds to your account. You could take a cab to different card rooms, play different tournaments and live action games...Okay well maybe I put too much thought into this, but I'd definitely be a player on it =)

Phoenix1010
01-22-2005, 09:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
lol...imagine...a MMORPG where you could play poker...instead of just an online cardroom...you create your 'character' and wire funds to your account. You could take a cab to different card rooms, play different tournaments and live action games...Okay well maybe I put too much thought into this, but I'd definitely be a player on it =)

[/ QUOTE ]

Best idea ever. Combine my two biggest time sinks, video games and poker, and I'll have twice as much free time to... play more video games and poker. Booyah, I like it.

jennicide
01-22-2005, 10:01 AM
hmm...if only I were a video game programmer, I'd be in the midst of implementing it now =)

ilya
01-22-2005, 11:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

that would be incredible...all those hapless 15-year-olds....mmm, parental consent...

jennicide
01-22-2005, 11:39 AM
what would be the difference between most poker sites and that game then? /images/graemlins/wink.gif There are so many < 18 players on the sites.

ilya
01-22-2005, 02:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
what would be the difference between most poker sites and that game then? /images/graemlins/wink.gif There are so many < 18 players on the sites.

[/ QUOTE ]

you really think so? just because dudes act so immature, or do you have some insider knowledge?

jennicide
01-22-2005, 03:10 PM
insider knowledge.

ilya
01-22-2005, 03:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
insider knowledge.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jen, are you actually 16?
It's ok, you can tell us.

jennicide
01-22-2005, 03:44 PM
I wish..!!! I feel as though it only goes downhill after 21. I no longer have any ages to look forward to...no sweet 16, or wow, I can legally purchase cigarettes and loterry tickets and at 21...you can legally drink and gamble. *Sigh*

Ed Miller
01-22-2005, 03:57 PM
I wish..!!! I feel as though it only goes downhill after 21. I no longer have any ages to look forward to...no sweet 16, or wow, I can legally purchase cigarettes and loterry tickets and at 21...you can legally drink and gamble. *Sigh*

There's lots of stuff to look forward to after 21!

I just turned 25, and my car insurance rate dropped by 13%. I can also now rent a car without paying a huge little kid premium. It makes me giddy just thinking about all the car renting possibilities I have available to me now.

I'm also now in the 25-34 demographic instead of 18-24. That rules.

25 is also when you officially enter the "dirty, old man" stage. I find the associated guilt and shame to be positively humiliating. In a good way. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

And there's more to come. I, for one, am eagerly awaiting baldness, erectile dysfunction, and prostate enlargement.

ilya
01-22-2005, 04:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]

25 is also when you officially enter the "dirty, old man" stage.

[/ QUOTE ]

I knew I was a precocious child...

jennicide
01-22-2005, 04:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
25 is also when you officially enter the "dirty, old man" stage.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really hope this does not happen to me.....I'm female. *Sigh*

Ed Miller
01-22-2005, 04:23 PM
I really hope this does not happen to me.....I'm female. *Sigh*

Women hit the "dirty, old" stage a little later, but it seems, in my experience, to consume them more thoroughly. In any event, the associated guilt and shame is certainly magnified for women due to cultural taboos. Tasty.

47outs
01-23-2005, 12:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]

25 is also when you officially enter the "dirty, old man" stage. I find the associated guilt and shame to be positively humiliating. In a good way. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Man your not helping the situation here any. I'm 25 too but I want to save the 'dirty old man' crap until my 30's. Some of my buddies are 21-23 and call me 'old man'.

Does this mean when we hang out with our Univ. aged chick friends am I the chaperone? I am not ready for this.

[ QUOTE ]

And there's more to come. I, for one, am eagerly awaiting baldness, erectile dysfunction, and prostate enlargement.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am however at peace with this.

outs