PDA

View Full Version : Comments on Half-life 2?

Daliman
01-19-2005, 12:56 AM
Well, i DL'd the demo the other night and liked it, and was planning on getting it anyways later this month when I get my godlike gaming rig, so i decided to buy it while I was over at walmart, on sale at $40, about as low as I've seen it. Anyways, I got to disc 3 of the installation AND IT WON'T READ!

AAAAAAAAAAUUUUUUUGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!

Was all hyped up to play it tonight too.

Anyways, please tell me your experiences playing this game to get me motivated enough to get back to walmart to get a replacement copy.

IggyWH
01-19-2005, 12:57 AM
I thought the demo was cool but my comp was struggling to handle it. I would have to buy a new vedio card and I don't care about the game that much.

pshreck
01-19-2005, 12:58 AM
Haven't played it but....

I have a friend who has been disinterested in video games since he graduated high school and went to Brown.

He IMed me and said this game single-handedly restored his faith in video games.

How's that?

(It's true too).

ilya
01-19-2005, 01:01 AM
I have a laptop with a 32MB GeForce 4 Go card, 512MB of RAM, and a 2.4GHz P4 CPU. Will HL2 run ok?
Normally I would assume that the answer is "NO," but the box and website both seem to suggest that my computer actually surpasses the minimum reqs. That tends to be enough for me (for example, I think FFXI runs great on my system), but if anyone has some horror stories, I'm listening.

pshreck
01-19-2005, 01:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I have a laptop with a 32MB GeForce 4 Go card

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

Popinjay
01-19-2005, 01:03 AM
Quite possibly the best single player game ever

ilya
01-19-2005, 01:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Better than System Shock 2, No One Lives Forever, or Deus Ex? Really?!

IggyWH
01-19-2005, 01:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I have a laptop with a 32MB GeForce 4 Go card, 512MB of RAM, and a 2.4GHz P4 CPU. Will HL2 run ok?

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL...

Sorry, this was quite funny to me. Sure, HL2 will run for you, but that's not saying much.

For the demo to run okay for me, I had to turn down the detail and it was still sluggish. My comps specs are 3.2G P4, 1G RAM, 128MB GeForce 4.

pshreck
01-19-2005, 01:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How are you not including GoldenEye in that list?

IggyWH
01-19-2005, 01:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is No One Lives Forever that Bond style game with the chick?

istewart
01-19-2005, 01:10 AM
It's the best non-multiplayer game you'll ever play. The MP game for it is alright IMHO, but CS is better for that anyway. You need one hell of a PC to run it though.

I have a 3.4 ghz, 1GB DDR, a 128MB Radeon X300, and it runs nearly perfect. It is a wise investment, very fun game.

ilya
01-19-2005, 01:17 AM
You guys seem to think I'm asking a silly question. But I'm not. I'm really just asking, "How good are Valve's engine programmers?"
Not good enough, I gather.

ilya
01-19-2005, 01:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How are you not including GoldenEye in that list?

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking of PC games only. Plus we're talking single-player only.
But yeah, GoldenEye. Great game. Although my favorite Free Radical game is actually TimeSplitters 2.

ilya
01-19-2005, 01:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is No One Lives Forever that Bond style game with the chick?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah.
The 1st one is a bit hard to find these days, but the 2nd one is also good and selling at around $10. I like the voice actress (Kit Harris) better in the first one, don't know why they didn't use her for the sequel. But the 2nd one has some great setpieices, like an intense circus tricycle chase through the streets of Cairo, and a battle royale with dozens of chick ninjas that takes place in a trailer park during a tornado. They also added experience points for the 2nd one, pretty decent system that's a lot like the first Deus Ex.