PDA

View Full Version : Met Ellix Powers on Monday.

Asufiji2004
01-19-2005, 12:36 AM
I played in a rebuy tourny at the Hawaiian Gardens (near Long Beach, CA) on MLK day. I guess he's become somewhat of a regular there. I saw him the friday before wandering around. He was just hanging around the registration area looking for people to introduce themselves. From the looks of it he considers himself a pretty big star. He must have blown that 40 G's pretty quickly (hopefully not all in pennies), it looked like he was tryin to put some scratch together to play. Plus he's lost alot of weight (crack) since his WSOP. He looks like he already has a foot in the grave. On a side note I cashed in my first live tournament 20th..out of 337 entrants. Yay me.

housenuts
01-19-2005, 12:53 AM
congrats on your finish. he is a disgraceful bum, and belongs at the slot machines rather than the poker table.

DesertCat
01-19-2005, 01:06 AM
He's disrespecting the game, man!

Daniel Hoerr
01-19-2005, 01:10 AM
My girlfriend and I had the pleasure of running into Mr. Powers at the Peppermill in Reno a few months back. We were just tinkering around on a Sun night before coming back to Phoenix in one of the 3 games they had going - 4/8 LHE - He came in the poker room ranting something about "I brought the wrong KEYS!" and sat at an empty table with the room manager on duty. Sounded like he was looking for a marker to play (and they only had 2/4, 4/8 and 10/20 going).

The funniest moment was when he tried to walk past our table and there wasn't room to pass easily. He said "Excuse me can I get through?" to my girlfriend (she was sitting behind me not playing) and she spouted right out "NO!" (jokingly) and he got instantly irrate "Alright then, F**K you I'll go around this GODDAMN way!" She must have said "I'm kidding! I'll let you through!" 10 times as he mumbled his way around the table in the other direction.

Rather odd encounter.

Kids, don't do drugs... Drugs are bad...

detroitplayer
01-19-2005, 01:24 AM
Racists.

Asufiji2004
01-19-2005, 02:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Racists.

[/ QUOTE ]

Haaaaa...Now that's funny! I do have a funny racist story from that day though. Top 27 in the tourny pay, 31 players remaining. This old timer gets busted out by the only remaining black guy left in the tournament. He finds out he finished just outside of the money. He storms out of the tournament area, but first yells "Well I guess in honor of MLK day, we outta let one ("N" word) make the final table. Needless to say he didn't get a warm reception. Now that's racist.

Nagoo81
01-19-2005, 09:20 AM
Cocaine's a helluva drug...heheheheh

TStoneMBD
01-19-2005, 09:59 AM
eggplant.

jslag
01-19-2005, 10:29 AM
<-------------------- Hi

AngryCola
01-19-2005, 10:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
congrats on your finish. he is a disgraceful bum, and belongs at the slot machines rather than the poker table.

[/ QUOTE ]

This kind of statement makes me physically ill.

Are you Jim McManus?

Bleh...

TheCroShow
01-19-2005, 10:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]

<-------------------- Hi

[/ QUOTE ]

best avatar of all time, he called me with a jack high!

tpir90036
01-19-2005, 12:08 PM
Ha ha ha. Before I realized that you were quoting the above post I thought you were saying that *your* avatar was the best of all-time. (It is clearly one of the worst, sorry.)

-tpir

Nagoo81
01-19-2005, 12:16 PM
http://www.pages.drexel.edu/~pn25/ellixpowers.jpg

DesertCat
01-19-2005, 03:38 PM
I agree with John Hennigan. Ellix is not just good, but he's great for the game. He's an entertaining character, and an inspiration to other maniacs. Don't you think many new players see his success and say, hell, I can do that, I need to put my (dead) money down on a WSOP event!

Besides helping bring money into the game, what's wrong with livening up the table? I like Jim McManus too, but he's got to leave "bad jim" at home when he makes a TV table.

I hope Ellix keeps his life and health on an even keel and has a long and successful career.

dankhank
01-19-2005, 04:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I like Jim McManus too, but he's got to leave "bad jim" at home when he makes a TV table.

[/ QUOTE ]

completely off topic, but i actually think the way mcmanus plays (weak/straightforward) and conducts himself (anal) at the poker table is 100% "good jim".

frank_iii
01-19-2005, 04:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
completely off topic, but i actually think the way mcmanus plays (weak/straightforward) and conducts himself (anal) at the poker table is 100% "good jim".

[/ QUOTE ]

You must know more about him, but from the Limit WSOP footage he sure didn't look weak to me. Plus, he became very laggy against Ellix. /images/graemlins/wink.gif Jan Sjovic (sp?) was the only one who looked very weak.

BarronVangorToth
01-19-2005, 04:25 PM
MORE racist stories...

Paul Darden plays at Foxwoods.
Paul Darden is black.
Many people know Paul Darden plays at Foxwoods.
These people know he's black.
Some percentage of these people will see a black poker player and ask if it's Paul Darden, as long as the person is 20-50 black male.
One such idiot, at a table with me just a month ago, kept insisting to the guy (21, black) that he looked EXACTLY like Paul Darden.
I guess because he was black.

Just crazy.

Barron Vangor Toth
www.BarronVangorToth.com (http://www.BarronVangorToth.com)

dankhank
01-19-2005, 05:08 PM
at the 2002 wsop, as described in his book, he played very weak/straightforward. but you're right, he was more laggy at the 2004 wsop.

Freakin
01-19-2005, 07:16 PM
They call Phil Ivey the tiger woods of poker. You know why? Because he's black.

Freakin

goldseraph
01-20-2005, 03:05 AM
Same reason that I always get called 'Scott Skiles', 'Mark Price' and the like by the black guys I play basketball with.

Sponger15SB
01-20-2005, 04:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Same reason that I always get called 'Scott Skiles', 'Mark Price' and the like by the black guys I play basketball with.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah but racist white jokes are funny to all, while racist black jokes are just funny to whites.

keep shooting the 3-ball kerr!

zaxx19
01-20-2005, 05:09 AM
Ellix Powers

There is only one word to describe him: PIMPISH

As for McManus, his behavior at the WSOP was sort of odd since he himself talks about how he took like 8 yrs to get through university and was a total bum till like age 32.......I expected a little more from the man in the way of tolerance.

Arsene Lupin III
01-20-2005, 10:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]

<-------------------- Hi

[/ QUOTE ]

Why hello!

Daliman
01-20-2005, 11:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Freakin

[/ QUOTE ]

No, because he looks like tiger woods, and he's at the top of the game.

I've never one heard Chris Darden or Ellix powers the tiger woods of poker.

Get a better argument, this one stinks.

drewjustdrew
01-20-2005, 11:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Freakin

[/ QUOTE ]

Because he is black and very talented.
If he was just decent they would call him the Calvin Peete of Poker.

KingMedicine
01-20-2005, 01:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
eggplant.

[/ QUOTE ]

part sicilian?

27offsuit
01-20-2005, 01:30 PM
I love how everyone forgets Hennigan was the first to say "Get a floor boss" as soon as McManus said "Yer disrespectin' the game."

Only after re-thinking it and seeing the situation unfold before him did he say "He's great for poker."

Lost a little respect for "World" that day.....not much, though.

[ QUOTE ]
I agree with John Hennigan. Ellix is not just good, but he's great for the game. He's an entertaining character, and an inspiration to other maniacs. Don't you think many new players see his success and say, hell, I can do that, I need to put my (dead) money down on a WSOP event!

Besides helping bring money into the game, what's wrong with livening up the table? I like Jim McManus too, but he's got to leave "bad jim" at home when he makes a TV table.

I hope Ellix keeps his life and health on an even keel and has a long and successful career.

[/ QUOTE ]

GreywolfNYC
01-20-2005, 01:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
eggplant.

[/ QUOTE ]

part sicilian?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm surprised that you were the only one to pick up on the meaning of that comment. It's really ugly.

danvh
01-20-2005, 02:12 PM
Its ugly. But it makes me laugh everytime because of True Romance.

Hopper: "...That means your part eggplant"
Walken: "Your a cantalope"

I apologize if quote isnt exactly right..

jomatty
01-20-2005, 02:45 PM
hennigan suggested getting the floor to clarify a rule, he passed no judgement on poweres. calling the floor should not be taken personally and its crazy fopr loseing respect for someone because they politely asked for a ruling
matty

Autocratic
01-20-2005, 03:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Freakin

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that the point is that while the comparison is not exactly unfair, the name Tiger Woods comes to mind when watching Ivey due to the physical resemblance.

drewjustdrew
01-20-2005, 03:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Freakin

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that the point is that while the comparison is not exactly unfair, the name Tiger Woods comes to mind when watching Ivey due to the physical resemblance.

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean 'because he is black', right? He looks nothing like Tiger Woods.

Jay36489
01-20-2005, 05:47 PM
I thought Ellix did something really stupid in the WSOP. After he was out or whatever, he looks straight at the camera, says hes a pro and all menacingly says hes just waiting for you (the viewers) to get home from work and play on the net so he can take your money. Hey Ellix, thanks for scaring all the fish away with your crack smoker antics. On national TV no less, that must have reached millions...

NoPeak
01-20-2005, 06:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I love how everyone forgets Hennigan was the first to say "Get a floor boss" as soon as McManus said "Yer disrespectin' the game."

Only after re-thinking it and seeing the situation unfold before him did he say "He's great for poker."

Lost a little respect for "World" that day.....not much, though.

[ QUOTE ]

Hennigan didn't call for a floor boss due to McManus's comment. No need to lose any respect for the man due to calling for a floor boss anyway.

Hauser_III
01-20-2005, 06:57 PM
Hennigan called for a floor boss to get a ruling about the dispute over whether Powers could legally raise in the dark from his blind; it appeared to have nothing to do with siding with, or against, McManus in his tirade against Powers.

Sponger15SB
01-20-2005, 08:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Freakin

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean 'because he is black', right? He looks nothing like Tiger Woods.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't all black people look alike though?

(KIDDING)