PDA

View Full Version : Check, please

adanthar
01-18-2005, 11:46 PM
Level 2 of a 50+5 Party SNG. I have 880 in the SB after an AK that missed or whatever it was.

UTG, with 1300 chips, open limps. He's only played 2 hands so far; on the significant one, in the first hand of the game, he opened for 100 UTG, got called in one spot, bet half the pot (100) on the Axx flop, checked the x turn when he was called, bet the x river again for 1/3 of the pot (125) when the other guy checked behind and showed down AJo. His note now reads 'overvalues big cards PF, weak postflop??'

For whatever reason, everyone folds to me (note to self: table selection, you fish) and I decide to complete my A2 /images/graemlins/heart.gif at 5:1. The BB checks and it's off to the races.

The flop is A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 3 /images/graemlins/spade.gif. I check, the BB checks, and UTG quickly bets 100. I think for a second or two and call.

The turn is A /images/graemlins/club.gif. I quickly check. UTG thinks for a long while and checks behind.

The river is T /images/graemlins/heart.gif. I check.

wiggs73
01-19-2005, 12:04 AM
I think the way you played this hand is ok, if that means anything coming from a piddly 20+2er. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

One thought I had was perhaps raising his bet on the flop, especially if he is weak after the flop. At the least, I think you better define your hand. Best case, he folds and you take down the pot. If he plays back at your raise though, you're probably beat. But as the hand played out, I'm thinking you have to call a bet on the river if he makes one and he could easily make one larger than your raise would have been if he has the ace.

At any rate, that's my 2 cents. I'll keep a check on this to see how it turned out.

assron
01-19-2005, 12:52 AM
did he have TT? When I hit a set on the board, I usually bet it, the other guy seems to hit a full house on whatever free card I give him when I dont. There's not a whole ton of use in slowing down a set on the board, as it's fairly obvious when you play back, and a good player will check it down. On the other hand, when you bet it, a lot of times your opponent will put you on a bluff since slowplaying is so the rage.

ChrisV
01-19-2005, 01:09 AM
I would bet out 200 on the flop. Only diamond draws and aces are going to challenge me on this board. If raised I fold, if called I'm happy to check and mostly fold. Maybe I'll fold to a busted diamond draw now and then, but that's life when you're out of position.

Checking the flop isn't too bad but I think you should bet the river because UTG is going to bet anyway if he has a better ace or full, and you're going to find it pretty difficult to fold (do you fold if UTG shoves his stack in?). A bet of 200 from you would look like a milking bet and you could fold to an allin from UTG.

adanthar
01-19-2005, 01:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Only diamond draws and aces are going to challenge me on this board.

[/ QUOTE ]

The 8's a heart. There are no draws.

ChrisV
01-19-2005, 01:29 AM
Ah. My mistake. Even better, then. If I get called by an 8, which is unlikely where I play, then hopefully he won't bet the turn when I check (not the ace turn, just whatever random turn card). I find they usually don't.

wiggs73
01-19-2005, 01:29 AM
Woops, misread it the first time, I was playing at the time... yeah, I would have bet out on the flop, not check-raised as I said earlier, or check-called as you did.

Awesemo
01-19-2005, 01:38 AM
I'd bet the flop. Since you just limped in, it gives a deception value to your strong hand. If he caught any piece he would probably give you action.

Gigabet
01-19-2005, 02:11 AM
Just keeping cracking the law books and you won't have to worry anymore.

ChrisV
01-19-2005, 02:21 AM
This is a "strong hand"?

I mean trivially yes, in that it beats most random hands on this flop. But actually no, because if you get any action you're miles behind the vast bulk of the time.

Laughingboy
01-19-2005, 02:51 AM
Since when does adanthar crack the law books? I'm in law school with him, and I have yet to see him do it once. /images/graemlins/wink.gif Too busy playing poker!

Irieguy
01-19-2005, 05:17 AM
I really like your line here.

That's how you play poker out of position in the early levels of a SNG.

Irieguy

PS- I call a river bet in a heartbeat, no matter how much he bets. I'd title this thread "push, please."

PPS- If he'd have bet the turn, I'd fold in a heartbeat, no matter how much he bet.

Seadood228
01-19-2005, 12:50 PM
I think you took the best line on all streets, especially the river.

There's no reason to bet the river because generally only a better hand will call. Better to give him a chance to bluff. Granted this might be giving your opponent too much credit, but under most circumstances I think there is much more value in checking.

You can argue betting the flop, but the problem there is that it will be difficult to determing what a call means. Since you've shown passivity so far they might not expect that you have an ace, which could set you up to be outplayed on later streets.

And like Irieguy said it's a pretty easy fold if he bets on the turn, especially given the way he played the previous hand. You can be almost 100% certain you are beat if he's willing to fire another bullet on the turn with that board and your action.

adanthar
01-19-2005, 05:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
PPS- If he'd have bet the turn, I'd fold in a heartbeat, no matter how much he bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I may've called 30. Maybe.

Scuba Chuck
03-09-2005, 08:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The turn is A /images/graemlins/club.gif . I quickly check. UTG thinks for a long while and checks behind

[/ QUOTE ]

How important is the move "I quickly check." in this play here? Is this the internet equivalent of flashing the ace?