PDA

View Full Version : 'Press Your Luck' Scandal on GameShow Network right now...

pshreck
01-18-2005, 10:58 PM
Im halfway drunk and watching this show. Really quite interesting (this guy is apparently manipulating a game show board that is supposed to be totally random). On from 9 to 11 EST so you can still catch some of it.

IggyWH
01-18-2005, 11:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Im halfway drunk and watching this show. Really quite interesting (this guy is apparently manipulating a game show board that is supposed to be totally random). On from 9 to 11 EST so you can still catch some of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, it's old... think it was originally on like a year ago. Quite interesting to watch though.

wuwei
01-18-2005, 11:02 PM
If I remember correctly, he didn't manipulate anything. He just picked up on the pattern.

edit: well, I suppose he was manipulating the board based on that pattern. When I first read it, I was thinking of manipulating in a cheating sense, which it wasn't. Regardless, it was a neat story.

ClaytonN
01-18-2005, 11:03 PM
Yea, I believe it was a plumber who figured out the pattern so he could hit the "big money" thing every time. He won like 80 grand, I think.

Leo99
01-18-2005, 11:03 PM
Watch the end when they have old contestants on and they teach them how he manipulated the board. The woman is such a btch.

It's a good story/show.

Dynasty
01-18-2005, 11:04 PM
I would have loved to watch this. But, I just discovered that GSN moved from normal cable to a extra pay digital cable tier.

Vince Young
01-18-2005, 11:06 PM
Press Your Luck (http://www.rotten.com/library/conspiracy/press-your-luck/)

Dynasty
01-18-2005, 11:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yea, I believe it was a plumber who figured out the pattern so he could hit the "big money" thing every time. He won like 80 grand, I think.

[/ QUOTE ]

He won $110,237 in 1984. (http://www.snopes.com/radiotv/tv/whammy.htm)

daryn
01-18-2005, 11:44 PM
he came close to hitting a whammy accidentally nearing the end too, but he got lucky.

pshreck
01-18-2005, 11:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
he came close to hitting a whammy accidentally nearing the end too, but he got lucky.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah... from reading about what a craphole of a life he lead after this show, it's almost sad he didn't hit this wammy.

Sponger15SB
01-18-2005, 11:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Watch the end when they have old contestants on and they teach them how he manipulated the board. The woman is such a btch.

It's a good story/show.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah that lady who had to play against him was still bitter!

What a hag!

Reef
01-18-2005, 11:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

sucks to be him

Thythe
01-18-2005, 11:52 PM
Interesting article. I don't get the part about consecutive serial numbers on dollar bills, though. When you withdraw money from the ATM (or when a store gets stacks of bills for their drawers) they are almost ALWAYS consecutive!

tpir90036
01-19-2005, 12:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
From that link:
"Mr. Larsen was experiencing a horrible secret side-effect of his plan which he could share with no one: he had failed to locate an exit strategy."

Not to be game show nit... but PYL was my favorite when I was little and Larson certainly had an exit strategy since he could just pass his spins and wait until his opponents pissed them away. He ended up getting a few more passed back to him from the bitchy woman....but he could have kept converting them into spins he could pass and would have won no matter what as long as he didn't screw up. The look on his face during the very last spin is hilarious because he messes it up and realizes it instantly... thankfully the Whammy had been replaced with a trip to the Bahamas.

Thythe
01-19-2005, 02:07 AM
Any ideas on my above post?

TimM
01-19-2005, 02:24 AM
Not the case 20 years ago.

pshreck
01-19-2005, 02:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, clearly if a radio station is offering 30k for it, it has to be close to impossible or entirely impossible.

Thythe
01-19-2005, 02:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah you're probably right, but it seems odd. Even 30 years ago I'm sure the mint printed in order. Did they throw it in a bin and mix it up before shipping it out?

TimM
01-19-2005, 02:40 AM
It was rare to get brand new bills all the time like now.

mmbt0ne
01-19-2005, 03:10 AM
IIRC, you're required to use any spins you win. Therefore he could pass his original spins, but once he starts with the free spins, he has to take those.

Nick B.
01-19-2005, 03:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
IIRC

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't

mmbt0ne
01-19-2005, 03:30 AM
Then what spins are you required to use? I know there are some that you can't pass.

guller
01-19-2005, 08:54 AM
You have to use the spins passed to you from other players.

NutCrackerr
01-19-2005, 09:50 AM
What's sad is I remember watching those 2 episodes when they originally aired.

daryn
01-19-2005, 02:33 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />
IIRC

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah you only have to use spins that are passed to you.

tpir90036
01-19-2005, 03:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
yeah you only have to use spins that are passed to you.

[/ QUOTE ]
Exactly... he could just keep converting the passed spins into passable spins and giving them away to the people who had no chance.

I always wondered what the audience/other contestants/Peter Tomarken(host) were *actually* thinking during this episode. It is clear to anyone of reasonable intelligence by around spin #15 that he had the board figured out. Or put another way: what % of the people in attendance were ignorant enough to think that he was just really lucky?

I am really glad GSN did a story about this. As a huge game show dork (and game dork in general) I always found this fascintating and try to catch at least the episode footage when they re-run this special. The way they did it makes you feel like you are watching something evil... there is almost a cheesy Zapruder film feel to it with the slow-mo and timecodes. Maybe I'm just crazy.

-tpir

tek
01-19-2005, 03:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah...from reading about what a craphole of a life he lead after this show, it's almost sad he didn't hit this wammy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Craphole only because he was stupid enough to leave FIFTY THOUSAND DOLLARS laying around the house /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

astroglide
01-19-2005, 03:27 PM
god i wish i hadn't read that story. on the run, penniless, alone, dead of throat cancer. i wish it was a happily ever after thing.