PDA

View Full Version : $10+1 PS, pushing from blinds...

autiger57
01-18-2005, 10:32 PM
I'm running into a situation now, where I'm getting called on all-ins by inferior hands in blind situations.

For example, blinds at 50-100 (level has just started), button is at about $1000, I'm in the small blind with AT and $1900, and BB has about $850 and KQ. Folded to button who limps, I push, BB calls with KQ and catches.

Another example, down to 5-handed, blinds 100-200. SB has $2,400 and K9 off, I'm in the BB with AT and $2,000. Folded to SB, who limps, I push. He calls and turns a 9.

If they were calling with good hands, or I was doing it with trash, I would just smack myself and tell myself to stop. But players used to not do this before, and I'm not a particularly aggressive player. I don't think I'm giving them a reason to call, am I?

It's stuff like this that has crippled me, or knocked me out of several SnGs lately, and I don't understand why all of a sudden people seem to need to call my all-ins (while I still have a big stack, I'm not short-stacked in any of these) with hands that I don't understand how they can call.

Thanks...

J-Lo
01-18-2005, 11:06 PM
someone correct me if i'm wrong... but this is what makes these SNG's profitable, getting your money in as a 60-40 or a 30-70 favorite is all u can do...

I wanna know if there is anyone in the boat of not putting yourm money in marginal situations, is there any better way to steal blinds when u or your oponent have less than 10x BB?

autiger57
01-19-2005, 12:02 AM
That's true, I suppose. I just haven't been getting called with these kinds of hands before, especially when both of us have enough chips to survive awhile. Mainly all I'm looking to do is take the blinds or the limper's chips without a confrontation, while telling them that I have a hand that I'll put all my chips out there for. I don't do it very often, and I don't do it with hands that I don't want calls from (well, unless they have aces :P)

You make a good point, though. Maybe I'm just being results-oriented because the inferior hand has caught, I dunno. I probably don't post this if they have KK or AA both times :P

se2schul
01-19-2005, 01:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm running into a situation now, where I'm getting called on all-ins by inferior hands in blind situations.

[/ QUOTE ]

I fail to see your problem....
ss

Profit
01-19-2005, 01:21 PM
you really have no idea if ppl were laying down kq in the past do you? You said you dont do this very often, it is quite possible they always had rags in previous situations.

Vetstadium
01-19-2005, 02:29 PM
This is a problem at times when you get knocked out say fifth on a blind steal. You have to remember all the times you didn't get called and the times you did get called that you won, I would say over the long haul more profitable to continue what you are doing.

slydeni
01-19-2005, 03:28 PM
am i the only one who thinks this is a bit over zealous? I mean the result we want here is to steal. Why not make a good raise rather than putting that many chips on the line? The blinds aren't threatening you too much yet. You have a good position in the tourn. right now. At 10+1 the table is kinda loose anyhow. 3 things can happen: 1. you get called by better hand...and we are toast; 2. you get called by what you are getting called with and we have a bit of a chance to win, but a decent chance to get our feelings hurt as well; or 3. we steal and win a coupla hundred (which will not really change our postion too much). Its my thought that the risk-reward ratio here tilts to the risk side more. I do agree a steal is in order here...but to go all in, may be a bit unnecesary.

One last thing is that the all in move also may be suggesting to your opponents that you are just trying to scare everyone out and steal the blinds (which is what you are trying to do). However, they may not be putting you on a great hand with that kindof a bet (would you bet that high with KK?). So if they put you on a steal hand; and they have kq...and its a 10+1 sit and go --- they call.

Conclusion: I wold try raising a nice beefy raise...but the all in increases the volitility of the hand too much. My opinion, of course... survive!

sly