PDA

View Full Version : AKo first hand $20 + 2

housenuts
01-18-2005, 09:44 PM
PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t20 (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Button (t1500)
SB (t1500)
BB (t1500)
UTG (t1500)
UTG+1 (t1500)
MP1 (t1500)
MP2 (t1500)
MP3 (t1500)
Hero (t1500)

Preflop: Hero is CO with K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls t20, MP1 calls t20, MP2 calls t20, MP3 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t150</font>, Button folds, SB calls t140, BB folds, UTG+1 calls t130, MP1 calls t130, MP2 calls t130.

Flop: (t770) 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets t140</font>, MP2 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t460</font>, SB calls t460, UTG+1 calls t460, MP1 calls t320.

Turn: (t2610) Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG+1 checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t890 (All-In)</font>, SB ?, UTG+1 ?, MP1 ?.

how does this hand look? it's the first hand. i win and i get a huge pot, I lose and I man-up and join another tourney. Is this unconventional?
</font>

housenuts
01-19-2005, 08:11 AM
is this really a ridiculous hand that warrants no discussion?

Mike28a
01-19-2005, 08:26 AM
It does seem odd that there are 40+ posts about watching jennicide and none about an actual hand. Not to mention the ubiquitous "Hey, watch me play in this tournament" threads.

My two cents: nothing wrong with your logic here.

Pepsquad
01-19-2005, 08:47 AM
Well, I wouldn't do it. However, since it's YOUR money I don't mind this move at all. Screw the fact that this is only the first hand. There is now a HUGE amount of money in the pot compared to the stacks and it's worth going after. If you get called here by even one opponent and hold up, then even if you auto-muck your way to the first break you'll still have an above average stack (very nice!). But the real reason I like this move is the lack of a re-raise from anyone on the flop (2-pair or the set would go all-in to protect themselves against the flush draw wouldn't they?). You're probably up against a weaker K and a heart draw. The most concerning opponent I see is SB who isn't going away easily. He's more likely than anyone to have connected a couple of rags to have your top pair in bad shape right now. Let me guess, you got called by the heart draw and he got there?

Pep.

kuro
01-19-2005, 01:29 PM
Push the flop and try to take it down. Your 320 raise isn't big enough to push out flush draws. Make them pay to chase. If you're up against some crazy two pair, aces, or a set so be it.

KKsuited
01-19-2005, 02:43 PM
3 people flat called 1/3 of their chips? Wow, that's some impressive play.

I would never risk going out the first hand with TPTK, but that's just me.

A few weaks ago, I had to laydown AK after hitting the K and lost about 1/4 of my chips. The next hand I picked up AA and doubled up. I ended up finishing 2nd.

You can only lose the tournament early and with the goofballs it looks like your playing, I'd wait for a better spot.

Pat Southern
01-19-2005, 03:01 PM
Raise more on the flop. I guess that any real raise though would have to be allin, or if you raised to around 900, you'd have to be willing to go allin on any turn. To make it simple, I'd push the flop.

RavenJackson
01-19-2005, 03:16 PM
Your preflop raise was fine. I am finding that 3bb does not narrow down the range of hands when the blinds are this low.

I would have raised more on the flop to push off the flush draws. I suspect one of the players has Ahxh, which explained why he might call your raise preflop. I am not sure what the other player has? A "K" with a weaker kicker?

Your bet on the turn is a judgment call, I suspect you have the best hand; however, risking the tourny on the first hand with TPTK makes me nervous.

Jibbs
01-19-2005, 03:28 PM
I agree with Raven that a 3bb raise does not narrow down the range of hands early but I do have some issues with this pre-flop raise. As we can see in this hand even the 8bb raise doesn't seem to narrow down the range of hands and now we end up playing a large pot that is hard to get away from.

I agree that there may be a Ahxh out there calling but I would also bet that somebody has called with pocket 4's or 7's and hit their set.

housenuts
01-19-2005, 05:36 PM
The reason I raised to T150 is because there was already 3 limpers in the pot. With no limpers I probably raise to 80 here. Anyways SB had KQ so he made his 2 pair on the turn. it's too bad but life goes on. i just wonder what he would have done if i had pushed on the flop and if that would have been a more solid play. i was just worried about the set of 4's or 7's which is why i didn't.