PDA

View Full Version : Starcraft

AngryCola
01-18-2005, 09:14 PM
In the interest of keeping my sanity, I thought I would quit talking about things which are personally upsetting to me.

So...

Who plays or used to play Starcraft?
Anybody interested in playing a game or two sometime?

I used to play back in the day, but I haven't played much recently. However, during the last week or so I've been getting crazy urges to play this game.

Anybody up for a match in the next few days PM me or post on this thread. I won't be checking back here until tomorrow.

IggyWH
01-18-2005, 09:41 PM
I used to play but haven't in a long time. I could be up for a match.

Stork
01-18-2005, 10:10 PM
Man I used to play this game all the time. I still have it, but haven't played it in months since I've been playing more poker. My account still probably exists though on the East server.

P.S. Broodwars sucks /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!!
01-18-2005, 10:16 PM
Im sure buster will play you. I get owned at that game.

lastchance
01-18-2005, 10:37 PM
Old game... Haven't played it for a while either.

Best RTS ever, though. And to use a 2+2 saying, "And it's not even close."

ChoicestHops
01-19-2005, 12:23 AM
I'll play but only on Lost Temple

IggyWH
01-19-2005, 12:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You couldn't handle my Carrier rush on a money map.

ChoicestHops
01-19-2005, 12:27 AM
I just hate money maps. It takes the skill out of the game if you are playing competively.

DontRaisePlz
01-19-2005, 12:27 AM
Carriers = Instant GG.

ChoicestHops
01-19-2005, 12:28 AM
gg no re thx~

Stork
Agreed, money maps blow. I'll play any blizzard map, but my favorites are blood bath, lost temple, hunters, and sometimes going 2v3 on island hop is fun.

IggyWH
[ QUOTE ]
I just hate money maps. It takes the skill out of the game if you are playing competively.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? Everyone's in the same boat.

The only thing I hate about money maps is you can seriously cripple someone with a zergling rush early. Once you slow someone's build, they are phucked.

pshreck
01-19-2005, 12:29 AM
From what I can remember, the carrier rush ruined competitive play for several months before balances were created and people learned how to beat it.

IggyWH
01-19-2005, 12:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
From what I can remember, the carrier rush ruined competitive play for several months before balances were created and people learned how to beat it.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not hard to beat carriers, you just got to control your guys. You can't put them on attach move or else they just keep trying to kill the intercepters. You got to attack each carrier and screw the intercepters.

ChoicestHops
01-19-2005, 12:31 AM
Carriers suck.

Stork
01-19-2005, 12:31 AM
Carriers pawn, especially on lost temple.

ChoicestHops
01-19-2005, 12:32 AM
I never saw a professional player win using carriers.

A Starcraft game is over in under 15 mins.

IggyWH
01-19-2005, 12:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Rushing sux

DontRaisePlz
01-19-2005, 12:33 AM
When the spawn pool became harder to build, ling rushes became worthless.

IggyWH
01-19-2005, 12:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
When the spawn pool became harder to build, ling rushes became worthless.

[/ QUOTE ]

Harder? Has there been an update since I last played like 6 months ago? It only cost like 200 minerals which wasn't exactly hard.

ChoicestHops
01-19-2005, 12:34 AM
Who's up for a reg game of Starcraft? 1v1 melee LT

My Brood War cd has failed to run any more /images/graemlins/frown.gif

IggyWH
01-19-2005, 12:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Who's up for a reg game of Starcraft? 1v1 melee LT

My Brood War cd has failed to run any more /images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what bootlegs are for /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

ChoicestHops
01-19-2005, 12:36 AM
Technically rushing is a rush within 2 mins.

The game, competetively played, is over in 10-15 mins. You constantly attack, well usually.

Anyway, anyone up for a game? /images/graemlins/smile.gif

DontRaisePlz
01-19-2005, 12:36 AM
Well, when it used to cost 150 and had a quicker build time, zerg rushes had some value. After the patch, they became almost obsolete. Any decent player shouldve been able to stop them, even if they had to resort to using worker units.

I guess you are too used to the 200 mineral pool to even notice anymore.

Dr. Strangelove
01-19-2005, 12:50 AM
Carriers are terrible. Hydralisks and Dragoons are the most important units in the game.

Stork
01-19-2005, 12:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a pretty broad statement. I have, for the record, seen carriers used by expert players, and utilized well. Late game protoss, they are great to attack expansions with when you position them over the cliffs so that they are in the shadows and only the interceptors fly out and hit the workers. Also good for taking out island expos. Every unit has a use, to say that 'x unit sucks' is stupid.
Also, I have played tons of games that go 30-40 minutes.
And on the topic of zergling rushes, a pool used to cost 150 but that was cheap because a 6ling rush was unstoppable on all but the largest maps so they bumped the cost up to 200. And it's not impossible to zergling rush with the upgrade, but it isn't rediculously easy either.

ChoicestHops
01-19-2005, 12:52 AM
Well my BW disc is actually working, so who wants a game right now?

IggyWH
01-19-2005, 12:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Well, when it used to cost 150 and had a quicker build time, zerg rushes had some value. After the patch, they became almost obsolete. Any decent player shouldve been able to stop them, even if they had to resort to using worker units.

[/ QUOTE ]

If a ling rush defeats you, then you suck and need to uninstall SC. What I'm saying though a ling rush can criple your build early and if anything will slow you down early on. Slowing down someones build is quite powerful. A ling rush to take out a couple of the other guys workers and you'll have the upper hand in the match.

Stork
01-19-2005, 12:53 AM
Choice my bw disk is [censored] up, but PM me sometime later this week and I will play you on regular SC.

ChoicestHops
01-19-2005, 12:54 AM
If you wanna play regular SC I can do that.

Reading this thread has got me fiending, I used to play the hell out of SC.

Stork
01-19-2005, 01:22 AM
Haha same here man. Then poker sorta shoved starcraft outta the spotlight...
Are you in a clan btw?

Stork
01-19-2005, 01:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If a ling rush defeats you, then you suck and need to uninstall SC. What I'm saying though a ling rush can criple your build early and if anything will slow you down early on. Slowing down someones build is quite powerful. A ling rush to take out a couple of the other guys workers and you'll have the upper hand in the match.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd consider that being "defeated" by a ling rush.

ChoicestHops
01-19-2005, 01:26 AM
No I never was in a clan, I havent played the game in a long time.

The best player I played was the Slayer guy who won one of the first major KBK's when it was beginning to get big. I played him on Kali and he completely whupped me with Terran, he could do everything too fast for me to keep up with.

I usually played with clan x17. Not friends with them but played the better people in the room.

Ponks
01-19-2005, 01:36 AM
I played a lot in X17 too, usually some good players in there so you can find some competitive matches. It's all about the micro.

Ponks

DontRaisePlz
01-19-2005, 01:42 AM
Anyone play custom maps?

I loved Diplomacy.

Stork
01-19-2005, 01:45 AM
I schooled at Evolution. I was King fuggin Kong.

ChoicestHops
01-19-2005, 01:47 AM
The ironic thing is that micro makes the game boring, but to be good you must have perfect micro.

The game is fun to me just sitting backa nd building an army.

Dr. Strangelove
01-19-2005, 03:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a pretty broad statement. I have, for the record, seen carriers used by expert players, and utilized well. Late game protoss, they are great to attack expansions with when you position them over the cliffs so that they are in the shadows and only the interceptors fly out and hit the workers. Also good for taking out island expos. Every unit has a use, to say that 'x unit sucks' is stupid.
Also, I have played tons of games that go 30-40 minutes.
And on the topic of zergling rushes, a pool used to cost 150 but that was cheap because a 6ling rush was unstoppable on all but the largest maps so they bumped the cost up to 200. And it's not impossible to zergling rush with the upgrade, but it isn't rediculously easy either.

[/ QUOTE ]

My friend and I used to play a huge amount of BW and specialized at Big game hunters/fastestmapever variations. To us, seeing a person try to make carriers was almost invariably a sign that they were weak and we didn't have to worry about them. Out of the last couple hundred 2v2 games we played we ran into maybe 5 people who used carriers very well. All of them lost to us because, as I said, carriers are terrible. The carrier person generally was too defense oriented and wasn't able to protect his partner well enough. We would take the partner out and then get to have some fun against maxed out carriers+arbiters+reavers (usual combination).

And yea, some units just aren't worth much. Like the terran vultures(?) and both types of archon.

ChoicestHops
01-19-2005, 03:30 AM
Vultures and Tanks (heavy metal) destroys protoss however.

Dr. Strangelove
01-19-2005, 03:49 AM
If I had to think of a unit that "destroys" protoss, it wouldn't be the vulture. In fact, I think protoss and zerg are very solid. I think terran kinda sucks (though heads up it rules). I've never bothered to get really good with it; I hate the micromanagement.

MarkL444
01-19-2005, 04:21 AM
i now have a large desire to play this game. if its cheap at the store im getting it (no idea what happened to my old copy)

MarkL444
01-19-2005, 04:49 AM
ZING! (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1051806262714&skuId=3598770&type=pr oduct)

if you guys are still playing this im gonna go pick this up tomorrow. i bought it way back in the day but lost it like 2 years ago. i used to play it like mad but was probably never at the same level as some of you. either way, i have no problem shelling out another $20 for such a great game.

let me know if you would play me if i bought this.

also, how many people are on bnet playing this these days?

AngryCola
01-19-2005, 10:21 AM
Wow.

I'm glad to see this thread got so much interest.
I'll play some games a little bit later today.

IggyWH
01-19-2005, 01:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i now have a large desire to play this game. if its cheap at the store im getting it (no idea what happened to my old copy)

[/ QUOTE ]

Best Buy sells SC and SC:BW each for $10.

AngryCola
01-19-2005, 01:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Best Buy sells SC and SC:BW each for $10.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure they package the individual games anymore.
All I ever see is the Battle Chest for $20.
Both games and strategy guides.
Although, the strategy guides are shrunken down to a smaller size.

ChoicestHops
01-19-2005, 02:37 PM
Anyone want a game?

AngryCola
01-19-2005, 04:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Anyone want a game?

[/ QUOTE ]

I want to play, but I can't until a little bit later today.

Sometime after 4:30 Eastern I will be free to play.

Just remember...real men select a "random" race. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Stork
01-19-2005, 05:49 PM
I wasn't talking about using carriers in No0|3 maps (money maps). I meant on blizzard maps. And not all the time obviously, but they have there spots. And vultures are mad useful. Upgrade spider mines and speed and do a quick drop on protoss workers. Works great when toss only has zelots to defend with if you have good micro skills w the vultures.

MarkL444
01-19-2005, 06:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Anyone want a game?

[/ QUOTE ]

im heading out in an hour or so to pick it up, ill play later if you want.

Stork
01-19-2005, 06:33 PM
Yo we should form a 2+2 clan on Starcraft /images/graemlins/cool.gif. I propose the clan be called, 2+2. And I propose the clan channel be, Op 2+2. And if "+" is not a viable option, then simply Op twoplustwo.

By the way, this would all be on the East Coast server.

MarkL444
01-19-2005, 06:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yo we should form a 2+2 clan on Starcraft /images/graemlins/cool.gif. I propose the clan be called, 2+2. And I propose the clan channel be, Op 2+2. And if "+" is not a viable option, then simply Op twoplustwo.

[/ QUOTE ]

do a lot of people still play on bnet?

AngryCola
01-19-2005, 06:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
do a lot of people still play on bnet?

[/ QUOTE ]

"There are currently 6,109 users playing 1,026 games of Starcraft (original) and 151,554 users playing 17,025 games on Battle.net"

Btw, Mark...

When you first install SC/BW and try to connect to Battle.net for the first time, it won't work.

Blizzard has changed their servers around since the last versions of SC/BW were stamped. You will need to download a patch from the Battle.net website before you can connect to the servers.

SC/BW Patches (http://www.blizzard.com/support/?id=msc0411p)

AngryCola
01-19-2005, 10:14 PM
This a shameless *bump*, because I'm looking for a game in the next few hours.

Where are all you people who wanted games last night? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

MarkL444
01-19-2005, 10:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This a shameless *bump*, because I'm looking for a game in the next few hours.

Where are all you people who wanted games last night? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

i decided not to buy it today because it will take away from time i need to be playing poker. probably get it soon.

SCfuji
01-19-2005, 10:19 PM
i still play tons on USEAST... /f add me as "SCshannon" and message me. ill be happy to beat anybody down for free (im just playing but if you want a decent match ill give you one). i am lost temple whore only.

-ggnore,
fuji

AngryCola
01-20-2005, 11:22 PM
This is my last shameless *bump* of this thread.

What happened to all the people that were interested in playing (besides Mark)?

I never got a game in. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

ChoicestHops
01-21-2005, 12:25 AM
Cola, I'll play you.

AngryCola
01-21-2005, 12:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That was kind of the thing about playing against you.
I still will, but I would rather not play a map you specialize in.

It's been awhile, remember? /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I'm up for a game tonight though, I just won't be ready to play until 12 AM Eastern at this point.
I'll check back here around then.

Jibbs
01-21-2005, 12:52 AM
I used to play this game all the time. Its amazing how quickly time will pass during a game of Starcraft. We used to download new maps to play every game. That way half of the game was one of discovery. Needing to go out and figure out where everything and everyone was.

john smith
01-21-2005, 02:39 AM
I was totally into starcraft back in the day, had my own clad and everything... haven't played in a few years but I just found my old sc cd and I'm down for a game anytime.

deacsoft
01-21-2005, 03:36 AM
You still looking for a game?

AngryCola
01-21-2005, 12:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You still looking for a game?

[/ QUOTE ]

Someone finally wanted a game... after I went to sleep. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif