PDA

View Full Version : Is it okay to...

Popinjay
01-18-2005, 07:40 PM
throw away a penny? if yes, how high can you go?

AngryCola
01-18-2005, 07:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
throw away a penny? if yes, how high can you go?

[/ QUOTE ]

I roll mine, but I'm a bit of a weirdo when it comes to things like that.

I'm pretty sure throwing money away is illegal.
I know defacing it is against the law.

GuyOnTilt
01-18-2005, 07:42 PM
It's your money. You can do whatever the hell you want with it. There are better things you could do with it, sure, but it's not "not okay" to throw away something that belongs to you.

GoT

AngryCola
01-18-2005, 07:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
but it's not "not okay" to throw away something that belongs to you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Going by this logic, it would be okay to rip up a dollar bill.
But it's actually against the law to do so.

ThaSaltCracka
01-18-2005, 07:46 PM
when I was high school the brother that taught Chemistry told us that for an entire year he walked around and picked up every penny he could find. He said after a year he had close to a $100.

pshreck
01-18-2005, 07:46 PM
I made a funny personal rule a few years ago, to piss my girlfriend off, and other people I know.

I never pick up any denomination below a quarter if it is dropped/already on the ground. If I am cleaning up my apartment I throw anyways all money that is not quarters or higher.

You would be surprised how much this pisses people off, but it's really funny.

GuyOnTilt
01-18-2005, 07:47 PM
Going by this logic, it would be okay to rip up a dollar bill. But it's actually against the law to do so.

So anything that's against the law would still be ethically wrong even if it was legal?

PS. The answer is no.

GoT

AngryCola
01-18-2005, 07:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It wouldn't piss me off. I would just laugh at you.
All those nickels and dimes add up man!

Every time I take my rolls to the bank I come away with about $50.

AngryCola
01-18-2005, 07:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So anything that's against the law would still be ethically wrong even if it was legal?

PS. The answer is no.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course not.
I was just making conversation.
I didn't realize we were discussing what's ethically wrong and not "okay" in a more vague sense.

PS - I'm not an idiot.

nolanfan34
01-18-2005, 07:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
when I was high school the brother that taught Chemistry

[/ QUOTE ]

Seems like the right spot to point out that you went to an all-male Catholic high school, so you're referring to a man of the cloth, not slang for an African American here.

pshreck
01-18-2005, 07:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It wouldn't piss me off. I would just laugh at you.
All those nickels and dimes add up man!

Every time I take my rolls to the bank I come away with about $50.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't say I threw them all away. Just ones I drop or may see on the ground, I never pick up.

Funniest time ever was at a Banana Republic when I was getting a cash refund on a shirt. For some reason I got like 58 cents in change, and the cashier pulled one of those 5 dimes, 1 nickel and 3 penny deals (no quarters, bitch). They spilled all over the counter and ground in front of me. I just looked at it and walked away.

stabn
01-18-2005, 07:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]

for an entire year he walked around and picked up every penny he could find.

[/ QUOTE ]
My grandmother used to do this [censored]. I'd be walking down the street with her and she would just stop all the sudden and pick up a penny. "Penny's from heaven", she'd say. I was scarred for life. I never spend penies when i get them as change. Either there's a dish i can drop them in; or they go on a table i have at home. Whenever i get at least 1-200 i throw them away.

AngryCola
01-18-2005, 07:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
They spilled all over the counter and ground in front of me. I just looked at it and walked away.

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Now that is pretty damn funny.

Nice.

lucas9000
01-18-2005, 07:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Seems like the right spot to point out that you went to an all-male Catholic high school, so you're referring to a man of the cloth, not slang for an African American here.

[/ QUOTE ]

he means "brother like the way black people say it, which is more meaningful, i think."

GuyOnTilt
Of course not.
I was just making conversation.

And by conversation you mean a point using faulty logic.

PS. Just kidding. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

PPS. But really though, if someone wants to throw away money that belongs to them, then they should be able to. I don't like change either. I put all the change I find in my pockets or on my floor in a little mesh metallic cup thingie on my nightstand and all change I get from stores or whatever on the counter for the person behind me to use.

PPPS. How much money could you have made playing poker during the time it took you to collect and roll $50 worth of small change?

GoT

B Dids
I used to toss pennies just 'cause they annoyed me. Now I just throw them in my crown royal bag for my twice yearly "no- I'm not a wino" trip to the Coinstar machine.

AngryCola
01-18-2005, 07:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
And by conversation you mean a point using faulty logic.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I made an edit to address this probable response. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

"I didn't realize we were discussing what's ethically wrong and not "okay" in a more vague sense."

[ QUOTE ]
How much money could you have made playing poker during the time it took you to collect and roll $50 worth of small change?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's irrelevant, because I find it all when I clean the house. Obviously that is something I have to do anyway.
I don't roll them by hand. I have one of those cheapass machines that does it all for me.

I'm as lazy about it as possible. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

astroglide
01-18-2005, 07:59 PM
even with the gigantic vig at coinstar (what a great business) i turned in a bowl of change when i moved and it had $160 in it. and that's with copious amounts of quarter-looting from my gf.

ThaSaltCracka
01-18-2005, 08:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] haha, that would be "brotha".

TimM
01-18-2005, 09:18 PM
Any change in my pockets when I get into my car goes in the center compartment. Quarters get pulled out for laundry as needed. Sometimes it gets used for tolls. Every few months it starts to fill up, then all the non-quarters go to Coinstar.

realwtf
01-18-2005, 11:17 PM
No...I use them to tip the pizza guy.

Reef
01-18-2005, 11:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
when I was high school the brother that taught Chemistry told us that for an entire year he walked around and picked up every penny he could find. He said after a year he had close to a $100.

[/ QUOTE ]

where the heck do you go to find 25+ pennies a day?

TimM
01-18-2005, 11:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
where the heck do you go to find 25+ pennies a day?

[/ QUOTE ]

A fountain?