PDA

View Full Version : using TV as 2nd monitor

schwza
01-18-2005, 06:17 PM
hey, sorry if this has been covered. is it possible to use a TV as a second monitor? my cpu has the ports needed to put stuff on a TV, but i'm not sure if you can do both.

Big Limpin'
01-18-2005, 06:27 PM
I am curious also. I need a new monitor and TV. WOuld be nice to kill 2 birds with one stone there. Save $$$ too.

The Yugoslavian
01-18-2005, 06:40 PM
You can't use a TV for very high resolution (so forget 4 tabling) plus the quality hit is pretty huge. It'd probably work ok if you wanted to play one or two tables but I'm sure you'd still rather just use your monitor.

Of course, this is just my own limited experience with hooking my own TV up to my video card. I guess if you had a really nice LCD TV or something it would be different? I dunno.

Yugoslav

meow_meow
01-20-2005, 03:18 PM
TV resolution = 640 by 480
Yuck

J-Lo
01-20-2005, 05:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You can't use a TV for very high resolution (so forget 4 tabling) plus the quality hit is pretty huge. It'd probably work ok if you wanted to play one or two tables but I'm sure you'd still rather just use your monitor.

Of course, this is just my own limited experience with hooking my own TV up to my video card. I guess if you had a really nice LCD TV or something it would be different? I dunno.

Yugoslav

[/ QUOTE ]

I tried doing this with my flat screen (not flat panel) toshiba 19" when i had friends over and they wanted to watch me play, but the resolution was so terrible, i had trouble reading the amount of money each player had and the amount of money in the pot... i suggest try before you buy, but i couldn't read diddly squat with the terrible resolutino the TV had

viennagreen
01-21-2005, 12:17 AM
even on HDTV's, the resolution is much worse that you are probably used to with your monitor.

Laughingboy
01-21-2005, 02:00 AM
A decent used CRT is a better call nowadays, if you have the desk space for a TV. With everyone snapping up flat screens, they're practically giving them away. I'll bet you can score one at the Salvation army for $25.

Mr_J
01-21-2005, 04:35 AM
No point using a TV even if it is LCD. They don't go up to the same res as computer monitors, so you'd only be able to fit 1 table on it.

Mr_J
01-21-2005, 04:36 AM
They might be cheap, I went the Dell 20 inch LCD route and I couldn't be happier.