PDA

View Full Version : I'm thinking of moving from Stars to Party - any advice?

partygirluk
01-18-2005, 05:45 PM
I am thinking of moving for a number of reasons

i) I now have rakeback with Party. This is worth 2.5% ROI I think.

ii) The standard is supposed to be lower. I would be interested in hearing views on this. Say you could achive 20% ROI in the PS $25 turbos, what would be reasonable in a Party $30? Or another way of looking at it: if Stars and Party adopted the same structure, what ROI differential would there be? As an Economist I find it strange that one site should be so much fishier than the other.

iii) A change of pace.

iv) The ability to datamine. However, unlike with ring games where you can sit at the same table for 24 hours, I am not sure whether you can do something similar for SnGs. I would be very interested in how to datamine for SNGs.

Any other thoughts would be most appreciated.

jcm4ccc
01-18-2005, 05:56 PM
I play Stars Turbo and switched to Party for a while and didn't like it very much.

You definitely become comfortable with a structure. I like Turbos when the blinds hit 75/150, 100/200. The blinds last 15 minutes at this level (because of the 100/200 ante). That's a lot of time to find optimal situations in which to steal blinds and stay alive.

It seemed to me that, on Party, you have less opportunities to steal the blinds and so have to be more aggressive. The blinds are 50/100 for ten hands (I think), then jump to 100/200. That's a huge leap when the starting chips are only 800 (or 1000 at the higher levels). So you really have to kick up the aggression. I just couldn't get comfortable with it, and so came back to the Turbos. I imagine that if I had stuck with it longer, I might have gotten used to the structure.

rachelwxm
01-18-2005, 06:49 PM
I like the structure of ps Turbo alot, but I don't like the field. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Benholio
01-18-2005, 09:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I am thinking of moving for a number of reasons

i) I now have rakeback with Party. This is worth 2.5% ROI I think.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a good reason. Its a nice bonus at the end of the month.

[ QUOTE ]

ii) The standard is supposed to be lower. I would be interested in hearing views on this. Say you could achive 20% ROI in the PS $25 turbos, what would be reasonable in a Party $30? Or another way of looking at it: if Stars and Party adopted the same structure, what ROI differential would there be? As an Economist I find it strange that one site should be so much fishier than the other.

[/ QUOTE ]

In my limited experience at Stars, I didn't see a big skill difference. 20% is reasonable at the $33 level on Party.

[ QUOTE ]

iv) The ability to datamine. However, unlike with ring games where you can sit at the same table for 24 hours, I am not sure whether you can do something similar for SnGs. I would be very interested in how to datamine for SNGs.

[/ QUOTE ]

AFAIK there is no easy way to datamine for SNGs. You have to manually open each tournament.

How long do PS turbos take? I think one point that really swings the profitability for the Party SNGs is the amount of time required to finish. The average time for a low buyin SNG at Party is 40-45 minutes. This really helps the hourly rate.

DangerGoodson
01-18-2005, 10:16 PM
I have played on both sites and prefer party(empire) in three ways.
1) The games are easier, (I think this is pretty universally accepted on the site)
2)You can get more tournies in
3)You can use programs like poker tracker to analyize your play

For me these things make up for the inferior tournament structure that party has when compared to stars.

Ultimately you have to play more agressive and push more often is the biggest change in strategy.