PDA

View Full Version : Yank R Johnson

11-03-2001, 10:37 PM
Not watching the game, but I note that AZ is up 12-0 after 3. With Schilling's availability for game 7 in question, why wouldn't Brenly remove Johnson so he can pitch again tomorrow? Looks like a no brainer to me.

11-03-2001, 10:43 PM
Now innings 4... Johnson still in... I would estimate that the Yanks have 0.1% of winning with Johnson OUT. And if he can pitch 5 innings tomorrow... it will increase the dbacks chances of winning the series by 50%.

No brainer? YES!

cheers,

Keith

11-03-2001, 11:22 PM
Now the sixth.

Johson STILL in.

I defended Brindley earlier in the series.

Now he should be fired.

IT'S 15-0 FOR CHRISSAKES!!!!!

11-04-2001, 01:28 AM
OK, listen. You have CURT SCHILLING, the ace of aces, the most dominant pitcher around. There is no guy I would rather take into game 7. Granted it would be nice to get an out or two from the Unit if needed, but I think Brenly made the conscious decision that he couldn't get that. He isn't going to use him for 5 innings, he won't even probably need him unless it goes into extra innings. In any event I think Brenly was making the clearn and unequivocal statement that Schilling is his man and he will go down win or lose with him. This "decision" is even worse because if they lose people will speculate that Johnson would have made the difference. Not that he might have, but WOULD have. A manager can't win in this situation. You have no idea if a 38 year old pitcher with a non-stop season could even be effective tomorrow. So I think he did the smart thing in saving his pen for tomorrow and keeping that speculation and doubt out of the minds of anyone involved.

11-04-2001, 02:14 AM
Ok maybe I was over the top earlier... but it would have been nice to have Johnson as an insurance policy for game 7 just in case, especially as Schilling is hurt.

He could have been taken out after 3...having made 45 pitches.

Anderson could have pitched 5...and letting Kim pitch an innings, even if Brenly doesnt use him tomorrow, would restore his confidence a little for next year.

and yes... Ive bet the dbacks to win the series so Im a little biased. /images/smile.gif

Cheers,

Keith

11-04-2001, 08:38 AM
have a bullpen other than gopher ball specials..i say go with schilling till hr drops , then go with the big unit...mickey lolich bailed out denny mcclain tigers...the unit is in a lot better shape than beer gut lolich...gl all...is this a lockunder game...i think that's the bet under...gl