PDA

View Full Version : Which book to buy next?

Marc Desjardins
01-18-2005, 05:09 PM
I read 5 so far, in order:

1-Get the Edge at Low-Limit Texas Hold'em: From the Kitchen to the Cardroom! from Bill Burton (before I found this forum)

2-WLLHE by Jones

3-SSHE by Sklansky and all

4-Championship No-Limit & Pot-Limit Hold 'em: The Bible to Winning by Mcevoy and Cloutier (borrowed from a friend)

5-TOP by Sklansky

Now, I wonder what to buy next. Here's a little description of the player I am. I have 16k hands at 0.50/1.00 on empire, with 2.7BB/100. I just started 4-tabling about 2 weeks ago to clear the january bonus and made 190$ doing so, but I lost about 90$ since then...

I also play 1 and 2 tables 5$ SNG on pokerstars, my ROI after 70 of them is an unsustainable 55%.

I also like to play MTT, I do ok, finishing almost always in the top 20-30%, but rarely making the money. I won a few satelites to the 250k on stars and 50k on empire and made the final table once in the empire freeroll.

I enjoy all 3 of those things, ring games, SNG and MTT and I think I'm better than average but far from excellent in those 3. I would like to eventually try NL instead of fixed, but I don't think I am ready for that yet.

So, with all that in mind, here's the 3 books I am considering now.

1-Hold'em Poker: For Advanced Players - David Sklansky

2-Tournament Poker for Advanced Players - David Sklansky

3-Poker Nation: A High-Stakes, Low-Life Adventure Into the Heart of a Gambling Country - Andy Bellin (for entertainement)

So, is the Advanced Hold'em really worth it after reading SSHE? I hear that "Tournament Poker" is still pretty basic dispite the "for Advanced" tag line. And I'm considering the 3rd one to break from the more technical books while I just play the game for a while and apply the concept in SSHE before I move on to another technical book.

So, any advice on my next step?

Thanks in advance!

__Q__
01-18-2005, 05:24 PM
Honestly, if your gonna focus on Limit Hold'em your good to go. Hold'em Poker for Advanced players isn't going to help your game all that much till you move higher.

If your looking to improve your NL tounament game, then go ahead an get sklanksys tournament book, and get harringtons book too.

Stew
01-18-2005, 06:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]

1-Get the Edge at Low-Limit Texas Hold'em: From the Kitchen to the Cardroom! from Bill Burton (before I found this forum)

2-WLLHE by Jones

4-Championship No-Limit & Pot-Limit Hold 'em: The Bible to Winning by Mcevoy and Cloutier (borrowed from a friend)

5-TOP by Sklansky

Now, I wonder what to buy next. Here's a little description of the player I am. I have 16k hands at 0.50/1.00 on empire, with 2.7BB/100. I just started 4-tabling about 2 weeks ago to clear the january bonus and made 190$ doing so, but I lost about 90$ since then...

I also play 1 and 2 tables 5$ SNG on pokerstars, my ROI after 70 of them is an unsustainable 55%.

I also like to play MTT, I do ok, finishing almost always in the top 20-30%, but rarely making the money. I won a few satelites to the 250k on stars and 50k on empire and made the final table once in the empire freeroll.

I enjoy all 3 of those things, ring games, SNG and MTT and I think I'm better than average but far from excellent in those 3. I would like to eventually try NL instead of fixed, but I don't think I am ready for that yet.

3-Poker Nation: A High-Stakes, Low-Life Adventure Into the Heart of a Gambling Country - Andy Bellin (for entertainement)

So, is the Advanced Hold'em really worth it after reading SSHE? I hear that "Tournament Poker" is still pretty basic dispite the "for Advanced" tag line. And I'm considering the 3rd one to break from the more technical books while I just play the game for a while and apply the concept in SSHE before I move on to another technical book.

Thanks in advance!

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, I know for a fact that the Cloutier/McEvoy does not have Bible in the title and anyone that thinks this book is anything other than the Bible to weak/tight play is mistaken.

Anyway, I think you should definitely get Harrington on Hold 'Em...I know it wasn't on your list...but that is the next book that is a must-read in my opinion.

My Must-reads btw are a short three:

SSH
HOH

There are a lot of other good reads out there, but these three books cover the essentials (SSH for Low-Limit HE play, HOH for SNG and MTT NL play and TOP for general theoretical poker concepts). I only play hold 'em, so I can't comment on books for other game types.

binions
01-18-2005, 08:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]

2-WLLHE by Jones

5-TOP by Sklansky

Thanks in advance!

[/ QUOTE ]

These are considered the top books in each category, ranked in order:

Limit Holdem Books
1. Small Stakes Hold'em
1A. Hold'em Poker for Advanced Players
3. Real Poker - The Play of Hands
4. Winning Low Limit Hold'em
5. Middle Limit Hold'em Poker
6. Internet Texas Hold'em

General Poker Books
1. Theory of Poker
2. Improve Your Poker
3. Holdems Odd Book
4. Caro's Book of Tells
5. Inside the Poker Mind
6. Psychology of Poker
7. Poker, Sex & Dying

Tournament Poker Books
1. Harrington on Hold'em
2. Tournament Poker for Advanced Players
3. New Players Guide to NL Hold'em
4. Championship PL/NL Hold'em
5. Championship Satellite Strategy
6. Championship Practice Hands

NL/PL Side Game Books
1. PL/NL Poker
2. Super System NL Holdem chapter
3. How good is your Pot Limit Hold'em.

Due out this year:
Super System II
Harington on Holdem II

popniklas
01-19-2005, 07:47 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">Svar till:</font><hr />

7. Poker, Sex &amp; Dying

[/ QUOTE ]

this is a joke, right? if not, please tell me about the book! /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

binions
01-19-2005, 11:25 PM
No joke. Mason rated it an 8. It's about personality types, and sizing up your foes at the poker table.

deacsoft
01-19-2005, 11:36 PM
Some ideas from a thread of mine:
deacsoft's next book thread (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Number=1279980&amp;page=&amp;view=&amp;sb=5&amp; o=&amp;fpart=all&amp;vc=1)

grinin
01-20-2005, 03:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
These are considered the top books in each category, ranked in order

[/ QUOTE ]

I sort of assume that this is according to Mason's reviews?

cowboyzfan
01-20-2005, 06:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't like this book. It seemed to me to be negative on poker. I much preferred "Positively Fifth Street".

profpeebody
01-20-2005, 03:06 PM
Hold'em for advanced players is geared towards mid-limit games (15-30 and up). I play small stakes (4/8) and I do not think alot of advice helps at those limits. There is lot of discussion on how to beat good/thinking players which are almost entirely absent at the low-limit games.

If you are a small stakes player as well, I would not reccomend this book. It has a few points that will help you at low-limit (chapter on loose games) but not enought to make it worth it.