PDA

View Full Version : AA who else folds here?

tommo
01-18-2005, 04:38 PM
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

CO ($24.25)
Button ($21)
SB ($27.82)
BB ($27.2)
UTG ($54.6)
Hero ($52.48)

Preflop: Hero is MP with A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif. SB posts a blind of $0.25.
UTG calls $0.50, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $2</font>, CO folds, Button calls $2, SB (poster) folds, BB calls $1.50, UTG calls $1.50.

Flop: ($8.25) 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 7/images/graemlins/club.gif, 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $6</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $15</font>, Button folds, BB folds, UTG calls $9.

Turn: ($38.25) 3/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $12</font>, Hero calls $12.

River: ($62.25) K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG all in for 24$, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $62.25

I feel like this was a week fold on my part. However, the guy I was up against seemed like a relatively tight passive player up until this hand. At the end I folded because I figured his all in meant he could beat a pair of kings, and if he could beat a pair of kings its likely he could beat a pair of aces. However, on that reasoning I probably should've been thinking straight, set or two pair after he called my flop bet.

He did end up showing his cards. Anybody want to make a guess as to what he had?

3N1GM4
01-18-2005, 04:54 PM
Pocket 9's?

soah
01-18-2005, 04:55 PM
I don't understand why you would raise the flop unless you wanted to go to the felt. There's nothing he would bet into three people (including the PFR) which folds when raised, so you're not getting any information and you're not protecting your hand (you're either way ahead or way behind). All you're doing is building the pot.

Burno
01-18-2005, 04:56 PM
I think your preflop raise was too small. I prefer to make it at least $3-4 with a limper already in. I like your flop raise but I'd make it a bit more, $18. The turn bet is very strange considering the strength you've shown, you probably need to push or fold here. That decision is opponent dependent.

If I got to the river I'd call because there is a good enough chance he's got something like JJ, TT, or A9 that or a set are the only hands that make sense with the line he took. But it's party poker so he probably showed you AK.

Tilt
01-18-2005, 05:02 PM
Let me guess - he showed down A9 or KQ.

Im not folding for 24 more on the river. Therefore I would either have put him all in on the turn or folded right then. With deeper stacks and/or 10 handed I would fold without good reads; in this situation I would have set him all in.

kurto
01-18-2005, 05:07 PM
Its interesting. The more I play the more I realize its player dependent. (I play Pokerstars and don't really know how different the play is. There are tough players and horrific players at the small limits I play.)

With the little info I have on that player other then his stack size, which often factors in my judgement as to their ability, I would have to assume he has a set or a straight.

Considering your raise (which believe me, I'm coming to realize I don't raise enough to scare away enough junk hands), he could have anything. If I'm right and he is a good player, he has a set and he's 'milking you'.

A weaker player could have called with 6-8 suited or even K-9 suited. All of which could explain his betting postflop.

A total fish (seems unlikely since he's the chip leader) could have any 2 cards.

If you've noted that he's tight and passive, and he's betting into you... then he has a monster. If he doesn't have a monster, then he's tricked you into thinking he's tight/passive.

tommo
01-18-2005, 05:12 PM
he showed me 108 for a straight draw. It totally floored me, had no idea how he could semibluff that strong and then pure bluff the river (guess he had a pretty good read one me). I like soahs, response the best. I think this hand was played fairly badly. But can I ask, would you have called his 6$ bet? what sort of lines could you see this taking?

fuego527
01-18-2005, 05:49 PM
do not make skill-reads based on stack size on PP NL25
there is so much fish-on-fish action that stack means almost nothing
some guy has a VP$P &gt; 50% over 150 hands and had quadrupled up
and this is not an isolated example
high action fish get huge stacked off other high action fish
i mean if all their money is going into the pot against each other, on of them has to get it
also, in regards to this hand, i would have been confident, maybe tested him harder so he couldnt put that move on you
also, your pf raise is weak as others have pointed out

soah
01-18-2005, 07:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
do not make skill-reads based on stack size on PP NL25
there is so much fish-on-fish action that stack means almost nothing
some guy has a VP$P &gt; 50% over 150 hands and had quadrupled up
and this is not an isolated example

[/ QUOTE ]

At the 100 level I have a guy in Pokertracker who is +$1500 after 76 hands.